navwin » Discussion » The Alley » LaFave Dropped Of Molestation Charges
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic LaFave Dropped Of Molestation Charges Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2006-03-21 11:11 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/21/charges.dropped/

According to the Associated Press, all child molestation charges have been dropped despite LaFave's admission of guilt for child rape.

I wonder what kind of message this sends to other child molestors. I think we can all agree her chances of making it through three years of house arrest and seven years of probation without violating them are slim. Even so, they aren't going to put her back in jail simply for a probation violation.

Isn't anyone else just alarmed, even scared by this, that it'll just encourage other sex offenders across America?

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (03-22-2006 08:48 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2006-03-21 11:17 PM

Given the subject matter Noah -- do you REALLY want to use that title?
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
2 posted 2006-03-21 11:43 PM

I certainly wouldn't want to let her babysit my son, Noah!

But....we only know what the media has told us.  Perhaps, she has been abused or maybe dateraped....maybe her "acting out" is from a mental illness.  Many times sexually abused girls/woman act out by being overly sexually aggressive.  I do not want to judge this girl without knowing all the facts. On the other hand, if she had not been so pretty and bright, I wonder what would have happened.

Noah, the other day, I interviewed an attorney who told me about one of his criminal cases.  The case was this:  A man in his 20s took in a girl who was about 14 at the time.  He got her pregnant and over the years they lived together, she had three children.  He worked a regular job and reared the children.  The woman, now in her 30s probably, (and he in his 40s) moved to another city a few years ago.  She left the children with him during that time.  The lawsuit this attorney had was that the woman filed rape charges against this man -- that was after close to a 17 year common-law marriage.  Where they lived "happily" together and raised three children (no allegations of child abuse whatsoever).  This man was convicted of rape and will probably end his life in prison.  I am not pro-rapist....let's get that straight!  But, it seems to me, that sometimes there are some extinuating circumstances.  In this particular case, 150 years ago, it would have been fairly normal for a 14 year old to have been married to a man in his 20s.  Nowadays, of course, 14-year-olds are much less emotionally mature, in most cases and not ready for that.  Just thought this was kind of interesting.  

LoL...Reb

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

3 posted 2006-03-22 11:01 AM

LOL Reb!!

Yes, I agree Illana and feel badly this person was faulsly acused...but what about those that are not.

I was just talking to my son the other night.  He is a police officer...he so wishes, the states would wise up and stop wasting money trying to rehabilitate criminals, it is their way of life, the only life they know.   He wishes instead they would build bigger prisions, getting these guys off the streets.  

I'm inclined to agree...rehab might work for a small percentage, but if you talk to the parents of the victims and the victims...I believe the majority might say the same thing, not to mention, these are repeated crimes, over and over again...

For those of you, who feel badly for this teacher, I'm sorry, but I feel worse for the 14 year old and his parents.  

I cannot think of a worse thing to have to come to terms with as a parent (other then loosing a child)...to know, that you've trusted your child with a teacher/a role model and she/he violates that trust and uses your child...?  What phsycological effect will this have on the child?  

It really, really really angers me, when an adult takes advantage of a child, a defenseless, vulnerable child...who is taught to trust adults?

Ilana, I respect your opinion, but also add...this is so grotesquely wrong, and a henous crime, we are supposed to protect our children from this?  The chances this woman will do this again are very likely...

What could she be thinking?  She is an absolute beautiful woman, and she violates a 14 year old child?  

I'm sorry, but I hold my ground on this subject, as Noah, you probably know by now how I feel...this woman gets no sympathy from me...she apologized to the boy and the family asking that they all move on.  I wonder if she will move to another area, work with children again?

Thank you, for starting this thread...Noah, and bringing attention to this subject.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
4 posted 2006-03-22 11:46 AM

"I think we can all agree her chances of making it through three years of house arrest and seven years of probation without violating them are slim"

I'm pretty sure I disagree with that statement.

Here is what bothers me about this:

I sincerely believe if it had been a male teacher instead of the female teacher, no charges would have been dropped..

nor should they be, in my opinion, either.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

5 posted 2006-03-22 01:14 PM

yanno, here is a perfect example of woman wanting equal rights...and they should have, but in this case, I feel to if she were a he, it would be more frowned upon...I'm anxious to see what others feel about this.

[This message has been edited by LeeJ (03-22-2006 02:16 PM).]

Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
6 posted 2006-03-22 06:21 PM

"I sincerely believe if it had been a male teacher instead of the female teacher, no charges would have been dropped..

nor should they be, in my opinion, either."

No they shouldn't be dropped. However, in my high school two male teachers were accused of harrassment at different times and only a few yrs apart. One had evidence that proved he harrassed a student. THEY DROPPED the charges against both teachers. I guess it all depends on the circumstances or who you are.

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2006-03-22 08:48 PM

I can understand how I probably didn't put enough thought in how I titled this thread. Most unintentional, I swear! I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

8 posted 2006-03-23 06:31 AM

Noah, all who know you, know, you're title wasn't in the slightest intentionally cruel or immoral...you are a gem.  
Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
9 posted 2006-03-23 05:43 PM

Awwwwww, thanks, Lee!

I just didn't want to feel as though I was giving the wrong impression was all. When I originally titled it "LaFave Gets Off", I by no means meant it in a derogatory way, and meant "gets off" in that she has been let go of all charges, let go of all justice for this sort of crime.

After earlier comments specified concerns with the title, I then realized the folly and was embarrassed myself. If I had been an Associated Press writer, I would have fallen victim to this most unintentional incident and would get blasted in the press.

Guess this just proves exactly how careful you have to be with what you say.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

skyshine
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-02-07
Posts 3058
Beneath the northern stars
10 posted 2006-03-24 12:37 PM

Hey, we've all done that, Noah. It's happened to me too, because I know what I mean as I'm typing and I don't always stop to think, "This may not make sense to someone else."

I think it is deplorable that charges have been dropped against an admitted child molester, especially after Ms. LaFave admitted to child rape. Mary Kay Letourneau was sentenced to seven years in prison for having sex with a 12-year-old student of hers (and having two of his children). As far as I know, she's still on probation. Why is this lady any different?

~sky

I hope someday you get the chance to live like you were dying....
~Tim McGraw

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

11 posted 2006-03-27 07:00 AM

perhaps because its a different Judge...yanno, I remember a movie with Richard Crenna?  Don't remember the title...but everytime someone says, you have to feel sorry for the preditor, he/she had a bad life, I think of that movie.  If I remember correctly, Richard Crenna played a cop?  Who took rape very lightly...in the end, he was raped...talk about adding insult to injury.

My point is...we've got way to many bleeding hearts in America...I think we're to soft...the only way to deter crime is stiffer laws, stiffer sentenances, bigger and more prisions, that should be terrible places to go.  

Let me, if you will, say, we've all had tough lives, at one time or another, but that doesn't justify rape, molestation, robbing a store, selling drugs, or robbing from the system.  

I really really wish, and I state this because my son's a cop, and he sees it all, that people would stop going easy on the criminal...rehabilitation puts them back on the street, to once again, reak havoc...criminals, are a menace to society and do not contribute to mankind.  That's just my opinion...one of which I believe in more and more each day.

Once again, thank you Noah, for this thread.

This woman had no right, as an adult, to touch a 14 year old child...and should be made to pay for this henous crime...Period.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
12 posted 2006-03-27 02:53 PM

quote:
the only way to deter crime is stiffer laws, stiffer sentenances, bigger and more prisions, that should be terrible places to go.
I agree Lee, that's a far better answer than preventing the crimes from happening in the first place...

Mistletoe Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
13 posted 2006-03-27 04:36 PM

Absolutely agree.

Unfortunately, it's many of our own tax dollars that are going into providing these undeserved luxuries for ALL criminals; not merely the ones that have done misdemeanors, but the rapists, serial killers, etc. as well. And I fear it'll be a while before any groundbreaking reform takes place.

Love,
Noah Eaton

Mother Teresa

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
14 posted 2006-03-27 05:52 PM

I think my point got missed - guess I shouldn't have employed sarcasm in an attempt to get it across...

Instead of looking to treat the symptoms, wouldn't it be better to cure the disease?

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
15 posted 2006-03-27 06:33 PM

Do you have a suggestion as to how we might "prevent crimes from happening in the first place?" An admirable concept but impractical at best, I submit.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
16 posted 2006-03-27 06:37 PM

I don't know it seems like we get to choose between implanting everyone with a GPS chip and lopping off fingers and toes and hands and feet and plucking out eyes...

Stricter drug laws and stiffer sentences and mandatory sentencing have certainly cured the drug problem in America.

(see Chris -- you just needed to use that little guy)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
17 posted 2006-03-27 07:13 PM

heh, no doubt.

Reb just said it, Pete - where has enforcement gotten us? If anything, it seems there's a rapidly rising increase. Is it because we pander to criminals and give them the "high life" as Noah seems to suggest, or is it because we're trying to do the equivalent of battling HVN1 with chicken soup? I propose that we've reached epidemic status already and the only truly viable method of response is to attempt preventing further occurrences.

Do I have suggestions? Sure, I can probably come up with a couple of ideas, but I won't deny that it's not my area of expertise. Does this mean that I think I know better than those whose area of expertise it is? No, but I do think that people have a tendency to "follow the money" as it were, and focus their time and talents on what the big birds want, which, in many cases, is a more resolute form of punishment rather than any attempt at initial inhibition. This is the reason why a large factor of my voting decisions weighs toward those who promote programs and legislations that help people who would otherwise "logically" follow a criminal path.

My ideas, for what little they may be worth:

I think an equalization (or at the least a minimization) of economic disparity would go a long way toward eliminating a fair amount of certain types of crimes. I recognize the unlikelihood of this, as, historically, the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor and those in between get stepped on by both.

I think “help” programs should no longer be voluntary, but a mandatory part of public schools – why do we push so much funding into dealing with existing drug addicts, who statistically (overwhelmingly so) fall off the proverbial wagon and begin using again, when we could focus that money into prevention programs in school? I would much rather see a few million taxpayer dollars taken out of the local 12-step program and put into increased police presence around schools, public gathering places and residential neighborhoods – if the kids can’t get the drugs, they very well might never use them.

Stop focusing on the “wrong” stuff. For example, between 1989-2003, California spent $406,000,000 on adolescent anti-smoking programs. I am not for a second suggesting that children (or anyone, for that matter) should smoke. It’s not illegal, however, and I don’t recall hearing of any criminal or morally deficient acts committed due to being a smoker. That’s 406m dollars that could have been focused on counseling for families to prevent abuse.

Just a few thoughts, I am sure I can think of many, just as others could, but, then, I guess that’s the problem – we all have our own ideas… I just think it’s silly to spend all our money on rehabilitation, instead of preventing it from happening in the first place.

Here’s a suggestion – lets take anyone who has even the remotest possibility of being a criminal and put them on an island (no, Australia’s already taken). Then we can cut the rot out at the root and start over fresh and squeaky clean! (better, Reb? )

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
18 posted 2006-03-27 08:52 PM

It's true there was very little crime in the USSR or China, until they recently began loosening up a bit, that is. I still believe I prefer to take my chances by locking up the perps rather than that sort of system.

Of course, there's little internal crime in the Arab countries too. That may be related to the severity of the deterent though.

As for the money spent on the anti-smoking campaign, I don't have the numbers but I would not be at all surprised if smoking causes about as much harm as crime. In any event, I believe it to be a well worthwhile effort and money well spent.

I think your last suggestion may have more merrit although I would be very leery of who might be the ultimate authority for making that decision. I mean, I can't claim to have always been a saint

Chris, I don't mean to belittle your ideas at all. To the contrary, they are all admirably thought out. In an ideal world, I would agree completely. In an ideal world though, that would surely not be necessary. If we all had the foresight of a Gene Roddenberry maybe we could learn to live together peacefully. But then, that time as not yet come.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
19 posted 2006-03-27 09:09 PM

No, it hasn't come yet...

I want to clarify that I don't suggest we stop locking up perpetrators - that is a necessary function; if someone does commit a crime, they should be punished for it and/or put in such a place where they are not free to repeat until rehibilitated (asomething I'm not wholly convinced of).
quote:
It's true there was very little crime in the USSR or China, until they recently began loosening up a bit, that is. I still believe I prefer to take my chances by locking up the perps rather than that sort of system.

Of course, there's little internal crime in the Arab countries too. That may be related to the severity of the deterent though.
All you do here, Pete, is redefine criminality. Take earlier Russia and judge it on [our] standard of criminality and they wouldn't seem so idyllic.

Ah well - I won't lie, I think it's they're some good ideas and would love to see that kind of world... but my inner activist is a fairly inert organ, which is why I try not to complain too loudly, believing that if you aren't attempting to resolve an issue, you don't have much room to complain about it.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
20 posted 2006-03-27 09:32 PM

Or, we can let a judge and jury decide what the best application of the law is on a case by case basis.

Double standards are being discussed here -- and well -- it just so happens that there are differences.  

quote:

She had sex with him five times in four days in the classroom, at her house, and in her SUV.

Call me old fashioned but, that's spoiling a kid

-- Bill Maher

Not far from here a male teacher ran off with a 14 year old female student a couple of years ago -- we all think differently about that because it is different -- isn't it?

What is the justice in LaFave sitting in prison and the kid getting high-fived in the locker room?  Our culture celebrates this fantasy -- didn't VanHalen have a hit song/video with Hot For Teacher?  Or there's the more recent hit 'Stacey's Mom Has Got It Goin On'

I don't see that our society is going to hell in a handbasket because this young woman is serving house arrest instead of doing hard time. I don't think it sends the message to any grizzly 40-year-old male football coaches that it's ok to molest junior-high cheerleaders in the showers after the game.

[This message has been edited by Local Rebel (03-27-2006 10:03 PM).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
21 posted 2006-03-27 10:27 PM

It may not for the grizzly old man, Reb, but what about the next female teacher who thinks one of her students is hot?

I have a tendency to agree with you about the severity - when I was fourteen I was "with" a 23 year-old and her sister - and never once even remotely considered it a bad thing.

But I was fourteen and, well, let's just say a fourteen-year-old boy's sexual judgment isn't exactly what we'd call, uhm, objective. I'm not throwing a stink about it happening, I don't regret that it happened. It doesn't make it right, though.

What if they'd have been one of my teachers and there was a suggestion that I might not do too well in class if I didn't comply? I suppose I could rat them out, though it's quite likely it wouldn't be believed - I mean, really, what grown woman would want to have sex with her underage student, much less feel compelled to resort to forcing him? What if I just didn’t like her? What if I found her unattractive? What if I was already with someone I cared about and they found out? What if my parents found out? What if my peers found out – sure, they might be high-fiving him, but they’re also looking at him every time he passes by, judging him, looking at him as an extension of the impropriety, not as a person himself. What if my teacher had been male? What if he had been "grizzly" (which, at that age if I remember correctly, started somewhere around the age of 35 )? What if he had been into some of the rougher stuff?

Sure, in this case, it’s quite possible (and even likely, considering how attractive she is) that the boy is extremely happy to have had the experience. But, aside from the legality, should that instance be allowed despite all the countless others that might not go so “good?” And this is all from a male’s perspective, the gender that is much less likely to be forced into sexual acts. Jump over to the other side of the fence and switch the sexes, where the teacher could even more readily take advantage of his student. In a small way, it’s like avoiding relationships at work – especially for the boss. If one’s in a position of authority, with the ability to influence another’s success or failure, they shouldn’t also be able to coerce the end results.

I think there are possibilities of good experiences with younger people and their [elders], but the potential harm it can cause far outweighs that remote likelihood. Those laws, I believe, are there for a good reason and should equally cover both sexes – the woman committed a crime and should pay for it accordingly…

Ok, I’ve been fighting it, but can’t help it – she should pay for her crime and be under house arrest… I happen to have an extra room. (ok, it’s just a joke, take the rest seriously please!)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
22 posted 2006-03-27 10:29 PM

oh, and I can't believe I missed the big one... what if she got pregnant?
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
23 posted 2006-03-27 10:49 PM

yep

And all of your 'what ifs' are case by case decisions.  

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
24 posted 2006-03-27 10:50 PM

Of course you are right Chris but, as Reb said, there is and always has been a double standard. Try as I might to view the incident from a strictly legal point, I still can't get away from the old double standard. I had a couple of teachers who were "pretty hot" and can remember well enough to, oh well, you get the point.

On the other hand though, had the sexes been reversed, I would agree the the perp should have been locked away for a very long time. After all, a young girl does have a lot more to lose than a similar aged boy. I seem to recall that pretty much all of us spent most of our waking hours trying to get it. Had it been from a beautiful and experienced woman, again, you know where I'm going.

There was a great old movie a few years ago, "The Summer of '42" that explains the whole thing. It will surely bring back some pleasant memories and maybe make you feel a little younger for a little while. Oops, I forgot, you aren't yet old enough to need to feel younger And, believe me, that's a good thing.

So yes, she was wrong and deserves to be punished accordingly. I can't say that what she got was proper, probably not. But I could never punish her as severly as I would a man for taking advantage of a young girl.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
25 posted 2006-03-27 11:04 PM

ah, but I still disagree... case by case is all fine and good - but once you open the box, you can't put the stuff back in; leave it open and people will employ it, will misuse it.

another thought - we're guys discussing this last bit here... I wonder what some moms would think of the law allowing their son's teachers to have sex with them.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
26 posted 2006-03-27 11:23 PM

There's no law allowing that Chris.

She's lost her job.  Her reputation.  Her freedom.

She didn't get a speeding ticket out of this or a slap on the wrist.  And besides... God has a plan for her.

A Romantic Heart
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-03
Posts 5496
Forever In Your Heart
27 posted 2006-03-31 05:14 AM

I AM a mother of a fourteen year old boy, who I have taught to be well-mannered and to respect women. He has never been a problem, no drugs, or dinking, not even curseing, we have a great relationship.He is an A student, very handsome with model qualities, features etc. He is tall 6'0 for his age and mature for his age, but holds that innocence of heart. I have raised him and taught him Christian morals and values. He loves girls, but respects them for what they are inside than out.!

If a teacher were to approach him in that manner, he would immediately call me from school,upset feeling sick to his stomache, telling me to contact authorities and report her so it would protect his friends or anyone else from her.
(I have discussed with both of my sons what bad touching etc. is and that if they tell them they would kill me if they told, that mom is bigger than them and she will contact the police, they know the perverts use this line and they know it is a lie and that God is more powerful)

Knowing me, come hell or high water, I will fight and protect my kids till the death of me. I would probably go down there and knock her head off, since she only has half a brain to try to do something like that anyway, I would be doing her a favor.
I know fighting doesn't resolve anything (yeah thats why we go to war, right?)but I sure would feel alot better getting my frustration out.

I disagree with her sentencing,  she should get exactly what a man would get if it were reversed. I think even more so because she is a woman, and the fact she could have kids and do the same to them, or raise a daughter to be just like her.

Other countries castrate sex offenders,(but they would find other ways with their sick minds to do it, find a stick or some object) they cannot be rehabiliated, they themselves have proved this over and over through their actions after release or some through interviews themselves stating if they got out they would do it again. Their minds are gone, they themselves say that once they do it and cross the line, that there is no going back. It becomes like an addiction, that is out of control and cannot be stopped.You have to be nromal to live and function in normal society...their minds are not normal...brain transplant? not going to happen? next solution?

It makes me very mad when I hear or read news stories about another child offender or pervert has received parole on GOOD BEHAVIOR....give me a break!!! it is just like little kids, oh yeah lock me up for awhile, take away my goodies, I will be good as long as I know there is a way for me to get out again, I WILL DO ANYTHING, ACT THE WAY YOU WANT TO ACT just long enough to fool you and get back out and do it again!(A waste of police work, throwing it back in their face, I would loose it if I were a police officer!) Waste of money, to pay for doctors and programs etc. I say take the money and pay our police officers more than what they get paid. Could you imagine almost loosing your life over some idiot, only to find out that he gets out on "GOOD BEHAVIOR" sorry but who  ..came up with that anyway?

You know what Einsteins definition of idiot is...doing something over and over again producing the same results...giving no solution, but the same result again and again. Kind of like digging a hole and at the same time someone else is putting the dirt back in the hole as you shovel. (Waste of time, engery and space, not to mention taxpayers dollars).

We live in a coutry full of idiots....the system doesn't work. Come on people, these are our children we are talking about here, saving and protecting their childhood, their innocence, their sanity. (Who will be one day adults, if the child killers don't get to them first)Adults running our society, I believe this is what we are seeing now...this why we have the female teachers doing this, it is all coming full circle. Her mind about sex was perverted from someone in her past, her way of looking at sex in her mind has from the start been wrong to begin with. Now we as a country are reaping what we have sewn, we are seeing these kids, who are now adults in society teaching etc.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA?

It is not the welfare system, not the immagration system, the school systems, the medicare systems, the prisons that need to be overhauled, it is AMERICA itself...all of it needs to change and update policys and laws,morals..etc. after all were in the year 2006. The world has changed and with that change of new crimes, new technology, there needs to be a new America.

I am going to homeshcool my youngest child he is 11. The world has changed and it has not improved morally, it is worse. I just read three stories in ONE night on the net, all were todays news, "Teacher caught buying porn for students", Teacher caught with drugs" Teacher arrested for punching and hitting students"....True stories today, all three!

When kids come to school and bring guns, come on AMerica! that is and should have been our wake-up call as a country. Something isn't right with the whole system....there are signs and signals warnings, are we listening???? Not!

The people of America need to stand up with the power they have and change things for the better. We have been asleep at the wheel, worrying about money and how to get it being hypnotised by more money, bigger homes, more more more, the media has this influnce...brainwashing us with commericals movies, "oh we have to have this or that to be like this or that" while both parents are working lured into this hynotised state, who comes in and steals our children? who is watching our children?
everything materially can be fast paced and convienent, food etc. but not kids, kids need time, love and care, and that my friend, you cannot microwave, send by email, or atm, or fast food. Tossed aside, like a piece of furniture or trophy.

Oh I want to have kids because so and so has kids...SORRY WRONG REASON....kids are not like getting a new boat and showing it off when you like to, to other people...they are human beings, with thoughts, emotions, needs, wants, dreams,favorites, likes and dislikes...get to know your kids...show them you love them. Know them as a person as you would a friend, but still be a parent, the one in control. How many know thier kids favorite color? food? movie? what they think about?

I have read true stories and I have seen documentaries about adults who were molested when they were kids, the problems they have now, the trust issues, etc.
To some this cancer spreads through their minds and they do it to others, even their own kids and so on and so on...STOP!!!! it needs to stop. How do you stop it? nip it in the bud!

I believe that once you kill(or rape, molest, etc) another person and take their life, their rights ,that you, as a prisoner should not have any rights at all. Most commit the crimes so they can go back to prison, after all it is better than living on the streets, your fed a nice warm meal, clean clothes, warm place to sleep etc. Some people just can't cope with society and take care of themselves. They want someone else to do it for them. (prisoners are too pampered) So what is one or two are reformed and 100 more are not....still not a good ratio...and who says reformed? they haven't been in society to see? how long? they have just been in the prison world. A world that is not the same as the real world.(where kids are roaming, live prey to catch and destroy) yes Jesus believes in forgivness but their has to be TRUE REPENTANCE and that is turning away from your sins and NEVER DOING IT AGAIN, learning your lesson the first time.If you truely love God and respect his laws, thou shalt not kill etc. There shouldn't be a NEXT time. God also tells us(if they have a retrobate mind, to turn them over to their flesh so that their souls might be saved.

Why not teach and send prisoners to war to fight in Iraq, quit killing our good men and women!

I think they should go back to the ways of the Paul Newman movie "Yes, boss, whatever you say boss, I can't think of the name of it, but it is where he ate those boiled eggs in prison winning the contest."Cool Hand Luke"

Everything is too FREE in America. It is out of control.I used to be a very happy positive person, but after having children, seeing the world differently, working in society, being on a secluded island is not looking so bad.

Final note, if factually most crimes are created by men, they should have to feel what it is like to create life, bring life into the world, feeling the pain it takes to get that life here,The worry, the concern the responsibility, then they would be less likely to be so easy to take it as they do.

Women should raise their sons just as they would girls, meaning, love, hugs, lots of attention, encouragement, self-esteem.
It is wrong to think that because kids reach a certain age(or that they are boys it is going to make them a sissy,that is stupid!) that they no longer need love, or hugs, or your attention, WRONG! they need it more, I still hug and kiss my 14 year old on the cheek and I tell him I love him every chance I get. Sure he may go "Oh mom" but he loves it, he comes and tells me goodnight and that he loves me.(He will love and respect his wife, his daughter, other women in society because I was his first role model of a woman.Statistically it is proven that men who have a good relationship with their mom, have longer lasting marriages.

As a parent it is so hard to raise children with just the basics, from conception, having a healthy child, a smart child, well behaved, mannered, and to invest time, money , love, emotions, teaching them all through those years, and to have some idiot just come along and steal my property, take what is not theirs, for my sons to go to war and get killed with just ONE bullet...

Maybe "The Village" is not such a bad idea go off to some remote place and raise your children in your own communtiy and society, one that you can control and protect with borders.

I say ship them (child molestors, prisoners, etc.) to an island(without resources) and let them kill eachother,  think of others who might be thinking of killing etc. watching what could happen to them if they were to do unlawful acts? maybe they would think twice?

The murderers would kill all the sex offenders,and then turn on each other fighting to get a way off, feeding on each other, now that would make a great reality show and maybe a better AMerica.( just a little off the wall humor)

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
28 posted 2006-04-01 08:05 PM

quote:

We live in a coutry full of idiots....the system doesn't work.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH AMERICA?

It is not the welfare system, not the immagration system, the school systems, the medicare systems, the prisons that need to be overhauled, it is AMERICA itself...all of it needs to change and update policys and laws,morals..etc. after all were in the year 2006. The world has changed and with that change of new crimes, new technology, there needs to be a new America.

So much for government of the people, by the people, and for the people.  So, regime change in Washington?  Is that what you're suggesting?  To be replaced by what?  The United States of Technology?  How would this new government be different?  Since the people are idiots (most people think the country is only half full of idiots -- the Republican idiots happen to be in charge at the moment - are you wanting the Democrat idiots to take over?) who would make the rules?

quote:

The people of America need to stand up with the power they have and change things for the better.

I thought we were idiots.

But I'm completely in favor of people exercising their voting franchise.  And speech and press and religion.

quote:

I disagree with her sentencing, she should get exactly what a man would get if it were reversed. I think even more so because she is a woman, and the fact she could have kids and do the same to them, or raise a daughter to be just like her.

Which is it?  The same?  More of (the same)?  Or... more severe?

You object, ostensibly, to a double standard in sentencing -- but, it's actually not the sentencing that is a double standard.  The standard for crime and punishment in America, since the time of the founding fathers -- has been that punishment should fit the crime -- and it shall not be cruel or unusual.

When a person's home is robbed, vehicle stolen, if he's beaten, or murdered, or if a woman is raped -- people are not going to approach that victim on the street and say,

"Dude!  Score!"

The double standard is not a legal double standard but a moral construct -- and dare I say?  A biological one.

There is no consensus from culture to culture on what the age of consent is -- if this had happened in Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Ecuador, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Montenegro, Paraguay, Peru, Portugal, Serbia, Guyana, Japan, South Korea, Spain, Swaziland, Mexico, or the Philippines -- it would have merely been in bad taste for a teacher to be having sex with a student.

Our standard for punishment is the proportional amount of harm done to the victim.  Period

I'm not sure what new technology enabled this particular crime -- unless we consider the SUV.  I don't think they were texting each other on a blackberry -- although a blackboard may have come into play at some point.

You point to events in the news, as many do, and say -- society is coming to an end.  But, the news isn't about dog bites man -- it's about man bites dog.  The reason stories are in the news is because they are interesting to people who will consume them -- and they are interesting because most people are just hugging their sons and daughters, sending them to school, and going off to work to earn a living so they can come home and relax to another evening of 7 thousand cable channels, on demand, the Internet,  whatever, have a frozen dinner warmed up in the microwave and fall asleep on the couch again.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » LaFave Dropped Of Molestation Charges

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary