navwin » Discussion » The Alley » How Soon We Forget
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic How Soon We Forget Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA

0 posted 2006-03-11 04:29 AM

Maybe some readers here are too young to remember the Savings & Loan scandal -- probably some weren't even born yet. In case you're interested, or would like to comment: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3330.htm

I know this website leans to the left....but there are some very valid resources there. If you search for Savings and Loan scandel Bush, you'll get enough non-left-or-right to validate this history lesson.

Please feel free to add any opinions you have.

© Copyright 2006 J.A.A.Powell - All Rights Reserved
JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
1 posted 2006-03-11 11:00 AM

The democrats in office were the "ring leaders" on this one.

"If this grand panaorama before me is what you call God... then God is not dead."

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2006-03-11 02:23 PM

This was before my time in first getting interested in the issues of the nation and the world, so I admit I know nothing about this, thus I have no opinion.

Perhaps this thread might serve as an educational experience for me, and I hope to hear both sides of the story, yay!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
3 posted 2006-03-11 03:02 PM

quote:

The democrats in office were the "ring leaders" on this one.

Yes, and it's my fault for making the pancakes too.

'Who ate all the pancakes?'

'Not me -- he had some too.'

'All I had was three -- she ate all the rest of them.'

See? -- if I hadn't made pancakes there would have been no problem.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
4 posted 2006-03-11 09:48 PM

LOL! I get villified for going back to the ancient history of the Clinton years to make a point and you go back multiple decades to an article entitled "Frauds R Us - The Bush Family Saga" from a website like this? http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/

Is this a great country or what??  

[This message has been edited by Balladeer (03-11-2006 10:21 PM).]

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
5 posted 2006-03-12 02:09 AM

Deer, I don't think you're a villain....lol.  And I do still think it is a great country.    

My point was an educational one.  I just thought this was a part of history the younger members here had never heard before.  The fact that Noah didn't know anything about it proves that point.  

And it was history.  Neil Bush paid a $50,000 fine and got off with a hand spanking after sitting on the board of directors for Silverado and that one bank alone cost the taxpayers over $1 billion.  This happened under Reagan's watch with George, the senior, as VP. It was all hushed up very quickly considering the damage it did to our own individual tax indebtedness to make up the difference.  I've read some of the monies ripped off were used to fund the Contra Affair with Ollie North.

As of 2001, Neil Bush after keeping very, very out of sight making billions of dollars out of the public view, surfaced again in Austin to raise millions of dollars to start his venture into computerized educational software -- interesting the timing, along with the federal government getting its hands more and more into the control of public education.  It has long been a goal of GWB to encourage privatized education.  It's an untapped source of zillions of dollars....but first, you have to destroy public education using vehicle 1 No Child Left Behind.  Make it so teachers hate teaching and students hate going to school so that the reasonable alternative is privatized education.  Then bring in the Ignite software designed to make learning fun for "hunter-warrior kids who don't like reading" (quote Neil Bush 2002).  Sounds like a corner on the education market to me.  Just for kicks, read  http://www.austinchronicle.com/issues/dispatch/2001-03-16/pols_feature3.html

It has been stated that the S&L Scandal served as the example for the Enron chronies.    

We've all heard when following any investigation to follow the money trail -- why, even Homeland Security follows the money trail looking for transfers between extremists to nonprofits, etc.  So why is no one interested in following the money trails of the Bush family?  I think it's pretty interesting really.  It's equally as interesting as the Kennedy family's.  

I don't care if it is Republican or Democrat -- I just don't care and I've said that before.  Why does this have to be a party thing?  Can we not look past political parties, really?

Foremost, I believe in Democracy and the free enterprise system with competition.  With all the derugulation that has occurred with the FCC now again making monopolies easily obtainable, it is "hard ball" unbridled capitalism I fear more than anything else.  Both political parties contain players in this game along with the richest and most powerful people and nations in the world.  The man who will get my vote next election will be someone who talks and lives DEMOCRACY, loves our Constitution, which veterans have sworn to defend, and not a winner in the game of Monopoly.  Personally, I think that there would be conflict of interest with anyone else.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-12-2006 04:05 AM).]

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
6 posted 2006-03-12 02:43 AM

Reb.... ROFL.... great anaology.  
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
7 posted 2006-03-12 02:45 AM

JCP -- I hope you were just being funny.  If not, please tell me how you get that????
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
8 posted 2006-03-12 03:06 AM

I think with the proper motivation
you can find it was a Bush
who killed Christ.

What about the "Burning Bush".
Where there's smoke there's fire.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
9 posted 2006-03-12 03:07 AM

I have no motivation other than what is mentioned above.  By nature, I just love a good mystery and like digging for the truth.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-12-2006 03:46 AM).]

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
10 posted 2006-03-12 03:48 AM

The man has been accused
of sending sons and daughters
to their deaths out of personal vendetta
which is something just short of murder.

To each his or her own
bad meal.

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
11 posted 2006-03-12 04:19 AM

Why is this an important lesson?  It is estimated that this whole deal costs us $32 billion a year EACH YEAR from 1990 through 2020 plus interest.  That's part of our tax burden.  This whole thing was brought about by deregulation and then not doing anything about the problem once it was known for about seven years, I think.  

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Fed had rendered insurance when it first happened...but no, those involved got richer off this whole fiasco except the taxpayer.  The $157-billion bailout was financed by floating 30-year bonds...so the people who will pay off those IOUs are you and me (if you live in the US) and the ones who will get paid are the holders of those 30-year bonds (curious about who those holders might be and whether or not they are US Citizens or maybe the UAE or maybe China...(joking).  If anyone knows the answer, please chime in.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-12-2006 04:50 AM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
12 posted 2006-03-12 05:00 PM

Ah, ok, Iliana. You were just looking for points of history young people weren't familiar with so you just happened to stumble in your search on a website that included such articles as:

Bush Pre-senile Dementia Video
The Incredible Lying BushCo
Mr. Bush You Have Soiled Our Flag With The Blood Of Children
A Lawless and Incompetent Leadership - Bush at the Tipping Point
The rise of the Bush Dynasty and the fall of the Texas Yellow Dogs.
The Coronation of King Bush

....and you thought, "Gee, this may be a good site to find some interesting information for the youngsters.

I don't care if it is Republican or Democrat -- I just don't care and I've said that before.  Why does this have to be a party thing?  Can we not look past political parties, really?

I don't know, Iliana. Can you? Obviously, by the creation of this thread, you can't.

I have no motivation other than what is mentioned above.  By nature, I just love a good mystery and like digging for the truth.  

The only mystery I see here is how you could expect anyone to believe such a statement. You decided to find something to slam Bush with so you went digging into liberal websites, found something juicy from TWENTY YEARS AGO, created a thread with it and then, when called on it, respond that you justed posted it because you love mysteries. Come down here and help me sell some of this swampland, willya?

iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
13 posted 2006-03-12 07:04 PM

I'll say it again, Deer:  I don't care if Bush is Republican or Democrat -- I really don't care.  The point is the person and his administration and their affiliations and associations.  I doubt seriously that Clinton or previous presidents over the past 30 years are better or worse.  It is the system, Deer -- the point I am trying to make besides the educational one which is intriguing is:  UNBRIDLED capitalism is ruining this country.  Not capitalism -- UNCONTROLLED capitalism, deregulation, etc.  It is bankrupting this country, Deer.  I read where last year, they reinstituted 30-year treasury notes.  Those notes are literally mortgaging us -- you and me -- and America's assets.  Check it out.  Why do we need them....to keep this economy going.  We all need to be more educated about this, myself included.  One of those very big notes matures in a few years and what if there is nothing to pay it with -- so we beg from Peter to pay Paul (JUST LIKE THE S&Ls AND GOVERNMENT DID IN THE 80s) and leave the tax burden to our children and their children.  (Just one example of the problem, just one.)  That will only work so long until every asset available to mortgage (so to speak) is gone -- what do we do when the "pretend" money and assets run out?  

Again, if you'll re-read my initial post, I said I knew it was leaning left, but I also said you could find "non-biased" information if you checked it out a little further that reports the same information, excluding the links that you mentioned which are obviously political and biased.  I do not care about the politics....I do care about the economics.  My reference to that website was chosen because of the first paragraph in the original link.  I thought that might tweak some interest and get a few people curious enough to do a little research on their own -- unless they are MBAs or doctoral students and have already learned all this.  The way the treasury, the Fed, banking, .... it is something we all need to understand more fully.  I thought, being a "conservative," you actually might see what it was I was trying to accomplish here.

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-12-2006 08:06 PM).]

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2006-03-12 10:09 PM

as a "conservative" I can assure you I see what you tried to accomplish here very clearly. Best  to you.....
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
15 posted 2006-03-12 11:22 PM

Deer - I hope you really do.  I figured the biased stuff would get a rise out of you, and others.  The intent was to provoke enough dialogue that maybe we would all learn something.  I'll be the first one to admit, I don't know much.  But, I am willing to investigate, in fact, I think it's kind of fun.  Thank you for responding and the invitation to help you sell swampland....I'll have to give that some thought.  lol
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
16 posted 2006-03-13 01:36 AM

Back to add an undisiputed, unspinable record of the chronology of the S&L collapse.   http://www.fdic.gov/bank/historical/s&l/

Also, see....  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savings_and_Loan_scandal

I was quite surprised to reread about the Keating Five -- at the time this happened I was too busy just earning a living and raising a family to really pay much attention to it.  I was shocked when I saw Rep. Sen. John McCain's and Dem. Sen. John Glen's names there.  Also, kind of shocked to read that the whole thing didn't come back to haunt George H. W. Bush during his presidential campaign.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-13-2006 02:58 AM).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
17 posted 2006-03-14 12:56 PM

Closed by Author's request.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » How Soon We Forget

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary