navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Yellow Journalism
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Yellow Journalism Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2006-03-03 09:58 PM

Does a vehicle of news media
have the right to bias
without openly expressing that bias
as a matter of policy?

© Copyright 2006 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2006-03-04 03:03 AM

News media and journalism has the responsibility to back up its stories with reliable sources.  That can mean anything from using substantive evidence to at least two opposing sources (if one doesn't comment, then that party is not represented; that's simplifying it a bit but you get the drift).  There are rules journalists follow usually. Their craft demands it to protect them from lawsuits of libel and slander.  

For the most part, bias, like beauty, at least in journalism, is in the eyes of the beholder, excepting editorials and bloviating anchors.  However, journalism since the advent of cable tv and internet has taken many turns and is more sloppy than it used to be.  Heck, when newsreporters are subpoenaed to testify about their sources, who wants to be a real journalist anymore, anyhow, if it means going to jail in order to protect your source?  If there appears to be bias, then you should ask yourself why.

I'll add, that with advertising dollars down (the primary source of revenue) in newsprint and journals, I suspect bias is shown to clientele who help pay the bills or scratch the back in some other way.    

And to answer your question, I do not know.  But, I would think it is unethical, at the very least.  

[This message has been edited by iliana (03-04-2006 05:59 PM).]

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2006-03-05 02:07 AM

So, what you're asking is if it is fair and balanced for Fox to say they are fair and balanced?

I think they should just go with 'tastes great, less filling'.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Yellow Journalism

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary