navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The King funeral
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic The King funeral Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
Where no tyranny is tolerable

0 posted 2006-02-07 09:33 AM

Now I bet you anything Bill Clinton's going to show up  at the ceremony to say he understand because he use to be black.

[This message has been edited by Alicat (02-22-2006 10:37 PM).]

© Copyright 2006 The Sun - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2006-02-07 10:17 AM

I sure hope that's a typo in your subject line...
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2006-02-07 08:23 PM

I'm just saddened when politics in general are played at funerals...especially at one of a cultural icon who is revered from both ends.

I was absolutely saddened that Kate O'Beirne chose to play political points on "Hardball" over her funeral, saying that "black leaders should mind their place"; an obvious swipe at Rev. Dr. Joseph Lowery, who is revered among that very same community that adored Coretta, and so happened to have criticized the war and such.

A funeral should be all about honoring that very person and reflecting and celebrating all the many achievements and contributions that very person offered ones loved ones and the world. It's unsettling that anyone would react otherwise to it, and now I bet (and fear) that some others are going to attempt to Swift Boat Lowery and Coretta's whole funeral here.

O'Beirne just can't speak for Coretta and her community this way. Both Coretta King and Joseph Lowery have devoted their lives to non-violence and all which Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. himself believed in. Coretta led a civil rights march of 50,000 people the day before he was buried. She spoke at another anti-war rally in New York City three weeks after then. Lowery's activism has long been of the same vein, her community she led is of this vein.

It is always depressing when politics are interjected into something as sentimental as a funeral, and I believe we'll see even more of this dirt thrown as the week progresses.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
3 posted 2006-02-22 02:47 PM

Yes Noah I agree with you completely.  Kate OBrien's remark to the effect that that "black leaders should "stay in there place" can only be desribed in one way:
Jim crow, pure and simple.
J

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
4 posted 2006-02-22 03:53 PM

What is up with the title?

Are you referring to Ms. King?  If so I am highly offended.

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Jaime Fradera
since 2000-11-25
Posts 843
5 posted 2006-02-22 08:20 PM

Susan ... Karen ..all.
Kink WAS a tpo, and I felt embarrassed when I saw it but couldn't fix; in impatience to post I forgot not to use the on line editor but  compose msgs off line and then paste in.
Apols

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
6 posted 2006-02-22 08:38 PM

ah, mia amigo, as far as I know an online editor wouldn't have known to fix it anyway, as it can't predict the spellings on 'proper names' such as King vs Kink.
Thanks for coming back in to clarify for other readers. I know you well enough personally to know you meant nothing offensive.
(But I still am annoyed by your potshot at Clinton.)  
BTW, is it possible for a moderator to help Jaime with this, to correct the spelling of the name in the title????

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (02-22-2006 09:40 PM).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2006-02-22 10:38 PM

Post title corrected following explanation.

Keep in mind that mods and admins can always edit after the fact.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2006-02-22 11:07 PM

hugging you, mister Alicat,
on behalf of my dear friend Jaime

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
9 posted 2006-02-26 03:38 PM

yes I watched part of the funeral.  It really was sad. It was alot worse at the wellstone funeral... It makes me really sad.  

-<>-~-<>-~-<>-  
*    Juju     *
-<>-~-<>-~-<>-

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » The King funeral

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary