navwin » Discussion » The Alley » AHH! $$$
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic AHH! $$$ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

0 posted 2005-09-01 05:12 PM

3.09 for gas??? AHHHHHHHH!! Where's those oil reserves!

ALL PEOPLE should donate money to me, so I can drive!!

I am, OF COURSE, joking. Please donate to our friends in need in the south. But yeah... gas prices suck! :P

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

© Copyright 2005 Erica N. - All Rights Reserved
Cloud 9
since 2004-11-05
Posts 980
Ca
1 posted 2005-09-01 05:19 PM

California in the Bay Area

Cheapest 2.87
Most exp.....3.57

That regular

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2005-09-01 05:37 PM

I'm just lucky that I live in a very walker-friendly city! (sad sigh)

I haven't driven a hundredth of a mile since moving to Portland, Oregon. I just walk all around the city, and that and my four-year running vegetarian lifestyle has made me lose significant weight.

With that said, being distanced from driving, I guess I cannot fully understand the panic too many are feeling right now, but I do know, obviously, it's crazy.

I believe we have to begin breaking away from our absolute dependence on natural reserves as soon as possible; we need to start going in the direction of alternative fuel research that Europe is, which New Mexico right now is making a jump-start effort toward solar power, hoping to lead the new energy revolution.

Of course, that's only part of the solution, and with the way relations between Venezuela are very tough right now and with the skirmishes in the Middle East signaling uncertainty in the future of many oil fields, that won't help dramatically lower these prices in the immediate future.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-09-01 06:00 PM

Gas prices are going to rise since so many refineries were damaged, and those that weren't are still trying to come back online.  Oil by itself won't do a thing to benefit your gas tank.  Quite the opposite in fact.  It still needs to be refined, and there's been a ban on new refineries since the early 1970's.  Those left untouched by Katrina's path have been working at 98% (the max allowed for safety) for months on end.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2005-09-01 06:17 PM

A headline you will not read in tomorrow's paper:

Oil Companies Pledge Windfall Profits to aid Katrina Refugees

Gasoline still costs the same amount of money to produce.

Oil still costs the same amount to pump out of the ground.

Merely because supply logistics are challenged doesn't change the cost structure -- it merely effects availability...

Remember crude prices are set by speculators in a free market very similar to the way stock prices are... the people who have the oil, refineries, and money... are making a lot more money.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

5 posted 2005-09-01 06:18 PM

Yeah.. I live off campus now, and unfortunatly our city is hard to walk in. There's basically nothing but gas stations within walking distance of me, let alone my campus!

blah..

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
6 posted 2005-09-01 07:27 PM

2.99 in parts of the midwest....

In parts of GA 5.06 and higher.....

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

7 posted 2005-09-01 07:38 PM

Bad times for all
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
8 posted 2005-09-01 08:42 PM

Won't go into extreme details,

but spoke to one who markets the market...

who was "upset" by a client who called in at midnight on Sunday night

"trying to capitalize"

on nature.

I'm sorry. Didn't someone kick over the tables and kick out the moneychangers?

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2005-09-01 08:47 PM

Erica?

$3.15 here.

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2005-09-01 09:28 PM

Yesterday....local EXXON------- $3.22
This morning 8am same Exxon---- $3.25
Tonight 5pm  same Exxon-------- $3.29

Diesel....$2.99

Something amazing happened today.....I agreed with O'Reily.....sheesh! I never thought I would say that.....but what he said was, was that the oil companys should cut their profits by 20%....profits, that is not their gross..

"For the good of the country"

The rebuttal  "from the Cato group" was that "that would cause long lines at the pump"

Nothing was said about how much that would lower the price...

-----------ice
   ><>

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
11 posted 2005-09-01 09:38 PM

Reb, you had me until you said: "Merely because supply logistics are challenged doesn't change the cost structure -- it merely effects availability..."

Working in an industry where shipping is a major portion of the price, I have seen logistical challenges drive up costs across the board.

With the major import/export coastal port in the country down and out and all incoming shipments being re-routed, you can only expect an increase in price from that arena. If you, as a shipper, are diverted hundreds of miles out of your contracted route, you are rightly going to charge extra. Your customer is, in turn, going to charge extra and so on down the line until it eventually comes out of the bottom-line consumer's pocket (with a few markups thrown in along the way down, of course).

That being said, I argee. If priecs would have held for even a week or so, I would have been less inclined to stare down a scrunched up nose at the big, bad oil-mongers. The fact that prices started hiking as soon as Katrina made landfall just upsets my stomach.

I can understand raising prices when your product is costing more. What I can't accept, is raising prices because you know your next shipment is going to cost more; the gas all these gasoline shops had in the ground already didn't cost them a cent more to pump, but that didn't stop them from hiking up prices. It's legal, sure, but there's a certain degree of greedy immorality there that...yeah, grrr.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
12 posted 2005-09-01 09:50 PM

Ah.. but... shipping ISN'T a major part of the price of gasoline...

I'm actually in logistics now -- I agree it is always a cost -- in fact -- I've been in some buisinesses where distribution was 70% of the cost... but that included marketing, sales, and advertising, which were considered to be 'distribution' costs (don't ax why)

It doesn't cost that much to distribute gas -- word has it -- most of the major players actually own the retail outlets too...     and are putting the squeeze on the independents.

(being in logistics now.. I should add.. my variable costs have gone up 200% over the last 10 weeks -- ergo -- I won't be in logistics much longer without passing that cost on to my customers -- how much will that cost actually add to their structure though?  Right now they're getting about 15k worth of product moved for about ten bucks.... after I add my variable costs it will be about 12, unless I mark up my new costs -- which I'm not going to do -- I'm just passing it on as a surcharge -- which is what the oil companies should do)

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2005-09-01 10:15 PM

Ice:
quote:
The rebuttal  "from the Cato group" was that "that would cause long lines at the pump"

They forget that we already know lines?
Oh....
They were talking to the young'uns....

Sigh.

It just all gets more and more ridiculous.

We've already seen here that the few of us could make WAVES in solutions...without votes, without grudge...just DO...or don't do, just pray...or if don't pray, just KNOW...and put in one's two cents of advice.

Ron?

Sometimes I think you've started an underground [albeit above ground] major force de jour

Adults?  Kids?  all you Inbetweens?

I am so DANG proud of all of you for pulling together as a UNIT of thought/kindness/practicality and pragmatism/ and in addition to that?

Just keep being YOU.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
14 posted 2005-09-02 01:54 PM

It will be interesting to see what impact it has
on the value of houses an hour or more one way
from the places where the owners have to work.

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
15 posted 2005-09-02 02:08 PM

Jeb, Bush that is, (Florida) was on TV last night and uttered these words:

"We have enough gas to last the holiday weekend."

What?!?!?  

He says we are hoping to get more before we run out.

*looks to see how much leave time she has because she isn't walking 34 miles one way to work*

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
16 posted 2005-09-02 06:28 PM

must read info...
http://reid.senate.gov/gasprices.cfm  A detailed analysis of the oil industry, gas prices, and record profits.

quote:

We all understand the forces of supply and demand. But in the gasoline market, control of the supply is concentrated in a handful of oil companies and dealers. Seven oil companies control 94 percent of California’s gasoline production.

So they can push prices up faster and keep them higher than they would be in competitive markets.

These markets are not competitive ... because they provide no incentive to refiners to maintain adequate supplies and physical infrastructure.

Every accident, power outage, pipeline break in the market triggers a price shock, and profits mount.

The structure of this industry allows price manipulation at the pump.

These charts I’ve presented today show how refiners and dealers manipulate markets to sustain high, exorbitant gas prices.

If this isn’t anti-competitive, it’s certainly anti-consumer.

The profits of the oil companies are at record levels. I’m sure this makes their shareholders happy.

The FTC has been AWOL, just like FERC was a couple of years ago during the electricity crisis, when consumers were ripped off.

As a nation, we need to address both the supply and demand sides of this equation, to promote a truly competitive market.

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

17 posted 2005-09-02 07:09 PM

Run out? I'll be damned if I'm walking 5 miles uphill to class. I'd just have to drop out, lol!  

But gas prices WENT DOWN HERE TODAY! I was at the PUMP and the lady (the angelic, kind, blessed lady!) came out and told me if I waited 5 minutes that the gas prices were coming down by 20 cents..

So, I can say (SO FAR!) that I haven't paid over 3 dollars for gas.

I paid 2.89. Still A LOT, but A LOT less than I thought.

Glad I don't have an SUV. Bwah!

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
18 posted 2005-09-02 07:49 PM

$4.542 a gallon here in British Columbia this morning and rising.
LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

19 posted 2005-09-03 12:37 PM

Those taxes up there!! Who says Canadian healthcare is free! :P You pay every time you fill your tank :P

My BF is in Toronto, we have these lovely exchanges all the time I kid because I love

Love's a lovely lad
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
20 posted 2005-09-03 05:12 PM

New York State, gotta love those taxes.
$3.59 MOST expensive I have seen

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
21 posted 2005-09-05 10:54 PM

When higher prices are put on things that are unhealthy I don't complain.

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
22 posted 2005-09-07 01:27 AM

Yuck! $4.77 a gal or $1.26 a litre
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
23 posted 2005-09-07 01:34 AM

So what if at the pump, the price tag showed you in real numbers
#lives destroyed/ per gallon

what price would you be willing to pay?

Hm? just wondering where we will go with this...what exactly IS the REAL price of gas?????

ice
Member Elite
since 2003-05-17
Posts 3404
Pennsylvania
24 posted 2005-09-07 06:14 AM

­"So what if at the pump, the price tag showed you in real numbers
#lives destroyed/ per gallon"

Ah! but Kacy, what you are speaking of are off paper costs and values...I don't think any large corporation, Government body, or Ag business in this nation considers those as real costs either, simply because they don't have to pay them directly...They understand only numbers and bottom lines...The cost of a person dieing from what they spew into the environment is not on their books, neither is the price of topsoil running off a 1000 acre cornfield on some factory farm in Iowa ,or the poisoned water that courses from some pig factory that is there, or in any other state.

The "real numbers" will never be shown, that would put faith in their God in jeopardy..

------------ice
    ><>

­­
­

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » AHH! $$$

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary