navwin » Discussion » The Alley » "You Stink!"
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic "You Stink!" Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-07-26 10:11 PM

I realize it's hot, but...

Is there a nice way to tell someone that they stink?

"Pardon me, but you seem to have an odor."

I can't think think of a single nice way to tell someone that--and I thought of buying her a nice bath set and slip in some deodorant, too. I still think that would be pretty obvious though.

and okay, I realize that my teeny rant seems inconsequential, but I am running out of Febreeze, here, folks. And it's looking like August is going to be just as bad.

Any suggestions welcome.

signed,

sniffing, water-eyed in new orleans

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2005-07-26 10:39 PM

eau de l'human skunk again?
there's never been any pleasant way that I know of
ya just havta scrunch up yer nose 'n holler p*u! what IZZIT????

at least you try to be tactful and gentle

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
2 posted 2005-07-26 10:43 PM

I think a nice bath set is a good idea....these days most of the bath shops have baskets you can make up yourself....I know Bath and Body works have natural deoradants to choose from, just tell her you tried it and thought she might like it?

if not perfume might work....

In your light I learn how to love
In your beauty how to make poems
You dance inside my chest where
no one sees you and that sight becomes this art

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-07-26 11:07 PM

Most don't know how to apply perfume properly, and you can always tell, or smell em, from a good 15-20 feet away.  They know they's funky, so think ample perfume will banish the stank.  All they manage to do is replace the stank with a more serious stank.  Ever have the chance to smell rotten flowers in high humidity and heat, combined with one's personal scent?  Not pretty.

Alternately, you could pull out a cig, if'n ya smoke, and when they state you can't do that in a store, reply 'well, at least this way I get an air filter'.  They might take the hint.  Or, of course, there's always honesty.  Just be a bit tactful and mention yourself.  'It's so sticky out...I prolly reek to high heavens!  Lemme go and fix this before flies gather.' would probably give a sublter hint than 'Is that you, or the smell of festering corpses?'

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

4 posted 2005-07-27 12:05 PM

Depending on the circumstances and the length of the encounter, I might suggest a tad of Vicks Vapor rub under the nose. (an old cop trick if a cheap cigar isn't available.
Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

5 posted 2005-07-27 04:36 AM

I once handed a co-worker a can of deodorant, asked him to use it and then told him he could keep it. A not so subtle hint, I  know....but, I was jist about fainted  

mxx  

take bread away from me, if you wish, take air away. but do not take from me your laughter.

~neruda~

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2005-07-27 05:35 AM

Strange thing is I was told that people with odor problems can't tell by themselves that they have offensive odor!  Nothing worse is there?     So, I think I would tell her nicely and say you are only doing it as a friend, because someone who didn't care wouldn't bother and only avoid her,and you didn't want to fall into that category.  A little truth will go a long way, for everyone including her.  She may have been avoided by folks for this very reason and wasn't even aware of it.  How do I know this works - I did it to my neighbour who believe it or not had never bought a deodorant before but sure does now, and we are still very good friends, honest!

Some people have a problem beyond that though and it has to be treated by a doctor, so I think the best way is to say," Are you aware that you carry a very offensive odor," followed by, "As a friend I thought we should talk about it if you wished?"   Maybe they are aware, and then again maybe they aren't see?  See?  

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2005-07-27 05:43 AM

Mys is right on target. It could be everything from halitosis to bad teeth.

If a garlic eater - [I love garlic] it could be scent glands from her feet...[yeah, garlic seems to plummet to one's feet...]

and I'll go on the record that if I ever become that questionable in odor, I hope those around me WOULD tell me! Because we seem to become immune to ourselves!

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
8 posted 2005-07-27 11:45 AM

tact is all fine and good, but honesty's better (i'm a guy, they can't go hand-in-hand - it's not possible)

"no, honey, your butt looks just fine in those jeans... at least the part that's in this time zone."

speaking of - did you hear that they're trying to extend daylight savings time by a couple of months? that'd be neat.

so, tact or honesty would work - or just take the job upon yourself; pull a hose into the house and start a "water fight"

Caraway
since 2005-07-14
Posts 24

9 posted 2005-07-27 01:06 PM

Put one of those sticky air freshners in your hand and then give the person a good pat on the back.  If they see it there maybe they will get the hint, and if they don't, then they will have that nice country spice smell.
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

10 posted 2005-07-27 03:01 PM

I agree with Kari and Mysteria...chances are, if you give this person a bath gift, they are still not going to realize they have a problem...are you certain it's BO, or could they be taking meds that might contribute, or perhaps garlic and or a different eating habit then most, which includes a lot of spicy foods?

Good luck, surely won't be easy, but perhaps you could strike up a conversation to find out if this person has drastically changed their life syle and or taking meds?

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
11 posted 2005-07-27 03:05 PM

Christopher you crack me up!  Hey in this heat, you could always send her to a water park, with the rest of the stinkers!

Good grief, can you imagine the water quality at that place?  Not very appealing is it?  

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (07-27-2005 11:08 PM).]

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
12 posted 2005-07-27 03:35 PM

I'm surprised no one has suggested it yet, but . . .

Why not just accept this person for who and what they are?

Body odor, shaving various parts of the anatomy, tattoos, piercings, all of these and much more are little more than cultural biases, important only to those so biased. Maybe this individual, indeed, doesn't realize "she has a problem," or just maybe, she sees it as everyone else's problem rather than hers?

Mankind survived a heck of long time before the advent of deodorant, after all.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
13 posted 2005-07-27 04:08 PM

That's a good thought, Ron -
but if I ever stink?
Please let me know!

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
14 posted 2005-07-27 04:41 PM

Mankind may have lived a heck of a long time without deoderant, but they sure did discover aromatics, spices, and perfumes fairly darn quickly as well. Seredipitious coincidence?  I think not.
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

15 posted 2005-07-27 04:57 PM

Ron? Easy advice coming from a hermit, doncha think?

*chuckle*

But as ya'll probably realize, I don't normally worry so much about tact, but this is a young girl, and a friend of my daughters. And yes, I could hold my nose for the duration of her otherwise delightful visits (she's a terrific kid) but I don't think others would have been so kind or even tactful. (They say children are cruel, but teens can be downright malicious.) I also suspect that her mother has her hands full as a single parent (the child is left to her own devices quite a lot and spends a lot of time here too) and whether it was financial reasons or simply an oversight of grooming advice, I did want to help. (I actually became concerned when I learned that she had been tagged "Miss Armpit" by the other kids.)

So my daughter had a talk with her.

And lawsy Ron, I've never been accused of intolerance before. Tsk..you oughtta know better about me regarding stuff like that. If anything else, I've been accused of being too tolerant. (I don't exactly hang around with "the beautiful people" yanno. But you are more than welcome to come to my next barbecue and see for yourself. )

Jerry Springer could film his show here and spare the travel expense for his guests.

And sure, once someone knows better, they can feel free to cover themselves in cow dung as long as they don't sit on my couch.

But I do think that a bit of gentle guidance for someone who perhaps didn't know better was in order.

I mean, I'm all for acceptance of people as they are, but yanno? I don't think employers look at it that way. Proper grooming is just part of the gig. Ain't saying that's right, but it's just the way it is.

And btw, folks, if I have a booger hanging outta my nose, please tell me. I'd rather know.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2005-07-27 10:31 PM

I sure do agree that certain habits I personally don't happen to have are indeed cultural, and personal choice and do accept them.  No where have I seen in any culture that smelling bad makes you the Big Kahuna.  Some human customs do require an acceptance that is unconditional for sure.  However I do have a tiny problem with those unshaved legs and armpits women sport and yes, that is my problem not theirs but,   , not to mention unkept feet, hand and toenails, or a rat's nest for hair, but that is just me.  I do accept personal art of any kind a person feels they have to do to make them happy, as this is truly the only thing we have control over in this life, ourselves.  But, I figure when someone's nasty hygiene habits invade my space it gives me some right to mention something to them "tactfully," but then would only do that if I was almost certain they were not aware of it, or could do something about it.  That would depend on what country I was in of course too.       I would not go up to some poor, unfortunate person living on the street with my idea of using Mitchem deodorant, and fully understand their restrictions, but a person I was around quite often, or worked with, I sure as heck would.  They may get mad for a bit yes, but I bet it would leave them something to think about.  Like I said earlier, when I did this very thing, the person was grateful actually as he didn't even know, and finally figured out why people may have avoided him his entire life, and excluded him.  

Oh and by the way Ron, remember I told you how nice you smelled (your cologne?)           Yes you did, and as glad as I was to meet you I have to tell you that if you had knocked me over with more than your charm I might just had to haul you aside and mention something to you, yes I would, now you know I would!  I don't think I would have liked the feedback I got but I still would have done it.  Heck I would have hated to draw straws as to who was going to sit next to a cute guy like you.  By the way, good thing you did smell so darn "purty" in that theatre, because with your stubborn streak, and not moving I might have turned you in you "stinker." *smilin here*

Karen I still have to agree with you on this one, as I am tolerant of almost anything on any body except ignorance of bad hygeine.  I find it leaves 3 choices; to say something nicely, avoid them at all costs, or rub Vic's under your nose for the rest of your encounters with them.

I have a tattoo by the way, a big colored one to boot, and could care less what people think of it.  I rather like the silly thing and was thinking of getting more even to "express" myself.  However, if I smelled like yesterday's cabbage - I am pretty sure someone would tell me, and hope to goodness they would think enough of me to do just that.  So after all that rambling, I am glad your daughter is like you.         and I bet her friend is too.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (07-28-2005 01:43 AM).]

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

17 posted 2005-07-28 09:17 AM

WHAT????? YOU GUYS SHAVE YOUR LEGS???? AND SHAVE UNDER YOUR ARMS TO??????

I SUPPOSE YOUR GOING TO TELL ME YOU TAKE BATHS MORE THEN ONCE A WEEK????????

AHHHH HEM...LOL

RON, YOU KIDDING RIGHT????

Seriously, I know you think its mean, but ya know, there is no excuse to be stinky...in modern days with soap and water readily available?  I don't think this gal knows any different, and ya know, stinky people can be just as offensive as stinky perfume...

ya know what, they said Queen Victoria stank to the hills and back again, but wore heavy perfume to cover up the smell...but in those days, water, soap and Bath and Body works were not available in the malls.

Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
18 posted 2005-07-28 11:49 AM

Glad to hear your daughter talked to her friend. Just for the record, you could have taken them shopping and went to the deodorant aisle. Then you could get one for yourself and let them both pick out one, too.

www.livejournal.com/users/alimakins

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
19 posted 2005-07-28 04:56 PM

where do their rights end and mine begin?

within smelling distance.

why should i have to accept them for smelling bad? can't they accept me for wanting them to NOT smell bad.

an old boss of mine was terrible in the odor dept. one could tell within four feet (no exaggeration) that he rarely, if ever, introduced his teeth to a toothbrush & thought deodorant was... i don't know what he thought of it, i just know he didn't use it at all. it made for an awfully uncomfortable work environment, compounded by the fact that he was also unaware of "personal space." i'm not too happy with someone getting nose-to-nose with me in any case... but when they smell like the local landfill and like to let out these bellowing guffaws that spew toxic wind directly into your face... *shiver*

no one could figure out how to tell him, though, as they didn't want to hurt his feelings. in the end, i simply approached him and asked if he knew that his body odor was offending people. he shrugged and said ok, he'd start taking a bath every day then.

just like that.

i still get ill thinking about it.

ironically, i've been looking to hire some new estimators and happened across a resume this week from... yep, the same person. it was no surprise, but his resume (mailed in) had several smudges on it and was a tad bit wrinkled. i found myself wishing for a pair of surgical gloves as i carried it from the top of my desk to the trash can...

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
20 posted 2005-07-28 05:56 PM

Now that's irony!
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

21 posted 2005-07-28 06:08 PM

*chuckle*

I can still accept someone's decision to go through life smelling bad--from a distance.

But yep, if you wanna be welcome in my home, y'gotta put forth some effort not to go leaking your body fluids on my fabrics.

And C? You've my total sympathy about the co-worker thing. It's hell on earth to be trapped in a small space with the odorific. (Btw, people, too much cologne stinks too.)

and grinning, I didn't realize my little rant would cause such a stink. But I had a feeling I wasn't the only one who's encountered this problem.

And like I said, we still have AUGUST to endure.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
22 posted 2005-07-28 07:38 PM

Chris  
quote:
where do their rights end and mine begin?

within smelling distance.

I am literally picking myself up from the floor after that line. LOL
NOW< WHERE IS MY DAMNED DEODORANT?

meanwhile...one of the NICEST people I ever met, came into my office

reeeking

he was from Ethiopia
and apparently, they don't worry about
western 'sensibilities'
sweat and smells are
natural

it took two weeks, and a really tactful male friend of mine to convince him he didn't smell good at a western university, and had little hopes of getting a job unless he bought

deodorant

it all worked out ok
he bought
they hired
end of story
/font>

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
23 posted 2005-07-28 09:54 PM

Some people just can't help it, they stink.

Others can, but have bad personal hygiene.

I just avoid any stinking person, period.

Leave a deodorant stick on his or her desk or whatever, if that person has bad hygiene.
If not, don't say anything.

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
24 posted 2005-07-29 03:41 AM

OMG, I am so awful - I am laughing over here and it is only due to the replies.

Ok, if it were an adult?  yes, I would say, "Man, you stink"  If I knew them well enough.

A child?  Ok, way different. Good that your daughter spoke with her because some kids don't know. And coming from her peer is better than an adult.    

There is this one smelly guy at work - it is so bad that the chair he sits in stinks (TG I DONT sit there) but nobody says anything, they just spray stuff all over the place.

I think thats cruel. Someone needs to take this man aside and say listen, man there is an issue here . . . THAT would be the nice thing to do.

I agree about the boogers, as well as something in my teeth or hair, I would actually be pissed if you were talking to me all night without telling me something like that.  

I would tell you . . . *grin*

Thats what friends are for, man.

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
25 posted 2005-07-29 08:18 PM

Speaking of boogers getting on you

[By George Carlin]

"What... somebody elses!? Get it off of me it got on me by accident... YAAAH!"

"You'd wipe it on flaming wood if you had to."

"I have gone away. The bed is cold and empty. Trees bend their boughs toward the earth. And nighttime birds float as black faces."

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
26 posted 2005-07-29 08:58 PM

Well Karen,
Sharon is right. I had to do that 35 years ago to an "older" guy in the work place. It was just like Christopher's story. He seemed clueless but immediately fixed the problem. And as for Ron's odor philosophy - I like where I'm at but it might be worth a move to dodge that one.

If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

bslicker
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-04
Posts 2321
state of mind
27 posted 2005-08-02 07:59 AM

Does that mean during August I have to turn my underwear inside out before the 15th..
Oh i forgot i don't wear any.

bernie

A smile a day keeps the world in smile's.
Bernie Slicker

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
28 posted 2005-08-06 07:59 PM

OMG!! B.O. is THE worse odor in the world to me. And, like Christopher, it literally makes me ill to even think about some of the people I've smelled in my life at work. Eventually, though, the personnel manager would always call them in and tell them someone had found their odor to be offensive. I think there is no excuse for an adult to not take a bathe. And trying to cover the smell up with cologne or perfume makes such a sickening smell!!

Now, a child is different. Most of the time, I think it's because they haven't been taught personal hygeine. They don't teach it in school anymore? Anyway, I think it was good that your daughter talked to her friend. It probably didn't hurt her feelings as bad as it would have if you had talked to her. That would have probably embarassed her.

By the way, I hope the smell has gotten better now?

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

29 posted 2005-08-07 02:14 PM

I remember an episode of my favorite show, Degrassi (The new ones!) One of the young men smelled, and a girl walked up to him and said "Cardinal rule of puberty: shower every day" :P

It's understandable if someone maybe forgot their deoderant one day (guilty here!) but a constant problem should be addressed.

Glad your daughter had a talk with her, I'm sure she's better off now!

Love's a lovely lad
His bringing up is beauty
Who loves him not is mad
For I must pay him duty
-Anonymous

Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
30 posted 2005-08-13 04:49 AM

Serenity...A touchy subject indeed.
I worked with a guy that had the B.O. problem, I just tried holding my breath when I got near him but that didn't work very good, he always thought I was having a heart attack cause my face would turn red.
I tried to always stay up wind of him as much as I could and I coughed alot to keep from gagging. I was always too considerate too bring it up to him.
Maybe you could just ask them if they smell something bad and hopefully they will take the hint...Paul

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
31 posted 2005-08-13 10:02 PM

In this hot weather, I am thinking of carrying a sign that says, "If you don't think you stink in this heat, you had better think again" whatca think?  Yup, sounds like a great t-shirt slogan to moi.
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
32 posted 2005-08-15 11:57 PM

Karen, this thread is hysterical...but it's kind of sad, too, in a way.  I feel sorry for that little girl.  You've probably already solved the problem, or your daughter did....so what I would have done is probably a moot point...but, I think I would lovingly try to indirectly teach her some hygiene....you and your daughter working very subtly, doing girly kind of things, and setting that kind of example.  From the sounds of it, she has probably never had a bath set....maybe there are water problems where she lives...who knows.  But kids can be so cruel and I think loving honesty is better than nasty remarks and ridicule when she starts back to school.  Maybe, I'd even buy her some cute undergarments.....maybe laundry doesn't get done.....and do some handwash in the sink to show her how she can do that herself.  I know my gorgeous grown girl, who is now a stickler on personal grooming (really to a point of ridiculous) did not start grooming the right way until she was about 14 or 15.  Some kids ... just plain stubborn!  Anyhow, bless your heart for its caring.   ........jojo
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
33 posted 2005-08-17 12:38 PM

Read today's OM on the right hand column  
http://www.dailyom.com/

I love this site they come daily (no one bugs) and they are full of wise words.  Actually if memory serves me right you got me hooked on it, Karen?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

34 posted 2005-08-17 05:21 PM

Yes, I enter laughing, because the ending to my story is just that funny.

My daughter did indeed have a talk with her friend and it turned out--she was sniffing the wrong girl. (Girls travel in packs at that age, and since I don't know the proper terminology for a pack of teen-aged girls I'll make one up--we'll call it a "giggle" of girls. )

After being swatted by the wrongly accused, they all sat down and yup, had a "frank" discussion. (*winks* to Mysteria)

No one's feelings were hurt, and in fact, it's become a running joke amongst this giggle of girls to sniff one another upon greeting!

At last, a happy ending from the home of serentiy blaze.

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
35 posted 2005-08-17 06:14 PM

I just love happy endings
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » "You Stink!"

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary