navwin » Discussion » The Alley » A Prescription for Oppression
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Prescription for Oppression Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia

0 posted 2005-04-05 09:40 PM

quote:

CHICAGO, April 1 -- Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich (D) issued an emergency rule Friday that requires pharmacies to accept and fill prescriptions for contraceptives without delay, after a growing number of complaints nationwide that some pharmacists are refusing to dispense birth control pills and the "morning-after" pill.

He also established a toll-free number that residents can call to report refusals by pharmacies.

Reproductive-rights groups heralded Blagojevich's action as the first statewide regulation to address the issue.

"We are hopeful that governors across the country will follow his lead," said Nancy Keenan, national president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19703-2005Apr1.html

Blagojevich and NARAL have it all wrong.  Catholic hospitals all across the nation provide exceptional care to patients -- but you won't get a vasectomy there or have your tubes tied.  A pharmacy is a privately held concern and the owner(s) have every right to decide what products they will or will not dispense.  This measure is a violation of civil liberties.

It would be better to make it clear to customers what kind of pharmacy it is -- and I would support a regulation requiring them to post a conspicuous sign so that persons seeking birth control medications wouldn't waste their time -- and I would also suggest that if a particular geographic area has no private concerns willing to dispense contraceptives that the health department make them available to the community.

This is simply wrong.

© Copyright 2005 Local Rebel - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2005-04-05 09:49 PM

I do agree.  Signs would be a total waste of time, material and money.  As one snowbird remarked when told about the signs at ADOT, 'Who the hell ever reads signs?!', and that about sums up that mentality.  It's just like those who see a line of people outside a closed door, and goes to check if it is locked instead of reasoning that the line must be there for a reason; i.e. the door is still locked.

Pharmacies are by and large private industries.  That governor would be correct in requiring this for state agencies, clinics and pharmacies, but would be out of line for private businesses.  All private businesses give notice that they have the right to refuse service to anyone, without reason.  However, I doubt the ACLU will come to bat for privately owned pharmacies.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2005-04-05 09:51 PM

No one stops at stop signs?  
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-04-05 09:59 PM

Side topic, and most don't, at least according to the manual you're supposed to read prior to taking your driving test.  Hardly anyone comes to a complete stop with the nose of the vehicle behind the line, or behind the stop sign.  Most drivers pull up alongside the stop sign, which technically would be running it.  Many more don't come to a complete stop after technically running the stop sign, pulling a 'California stop, or a rolling-stop, where the vehicle slows, but is still in motion prior to and through the stop sign.  Most people do not read signs, LR, from stop signs, yield signs, Workers Present signs, or even speed limit signs.  I understand why they have to be there, for legal reasons, but most people ignore them.  Same would go for any pharmecutical sign which was not an advert for a sale of a particular brand of medication.  Adverts are methodically examined, warning/disclaimer signs are methodically ignored.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2005-04-05 10:05 PM

Since signs are my prescription in the zero post -- it's no side topic.  Do you have data for 'most'?

Do you know before you go in a pharmacy if it is a Walgreens or an Osco or a Wal Mart?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
5 posted 2005-04-05 10:18 PM

Data on 'most'? Nope, just observational evidence from 20 years of driving in 4 different states, and through another 3.  And store signs, if you sit back and think about it, are advertisements.  They advertise a store, reputation, prices, and selections.  'Most' people read advertisements, even if said advertisements are billboards or store signs.

By the by, I've run my share of stop signs, by not coming to a complete stop, or by pulling up alongside the sign instead of stopping with the vehicle front before the sign.  Even got marked off on, and lectured by the DPS officer upon (Texas used DPS for licensing) that during my driving test.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
6 posted 2005-04-05 10:24 PM

Signs are merely information Cat.  Whether or not it is an advertisement is irrelevant.  We walk by all kinds of information every day that we ignore.  But when we're seeking information -- we notice the information we need -- just like looking up something in an encyclopedia.

If we know our way somewhere, chances are, we'll never (conciously) read the street signs on the way.  But if we're new in town looking for an address, we read -- or, would you prefer to wander aimlessly around town until you stumble upon it?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
7 posted 2005-04-05 10:27 PM

I do maps.  I've been living here for 5 years, and still read road signs.  I'm sticking with my advertisement notion.  Stores advertise with their signs.  If they didn't, if it was merely identification or information, then they would not be large and very well lit in eye catching colors.  Yanno, just like the adverts in the Sunday paper.  And now we're getting seriously off topic, since supposedly this topic is about a governor trying to legislate private industry regarding birth control measures.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » A Prescription for Oppression

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary