navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Flu Vaccine Shortage?
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Flu Vaccine Shortage? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2005-02-26 06:58 PM

Some of you might know, that I, as well as millions of others, have caught a fairly nasty case of Influenza.

I'm not going to pretend I'm surprised, as I live in a city that is notorious for "carnival flu". (Those tourists leave germs on their money!)

But anyhow, I'm assuming we all recall the much publicized vaccine shortage last fall. (wasn't that around election time?)

It was then suggested that the public restrain themselves from demanding an annual flu shot in deference to the elderly and the immune deficient.

My husband, after receiving mild chemo last year as treatment for the Hepatitist C virus, is considered in the "at risk" category, and he was denied a vaccination by our physician (as was I, since I am not yet documented due to the practice of staggering Hepatitis treatment for couples with children) as per the government guidelines suggestions.

Now we discover, as we are all bravely ill, that there is a surplus of the vaccine. And why? The shortage was an estimation of "hopeful" numbers by the government, meaning they based the projection on how many people they had HOPED would be vaccinated.

I am trying to resist the urge of a grass-roots campaign of mailing flu contaminated tissues *shudder* to our government officials in protest.

If there's something I'm missing here, please, somebody shed some light on this issue for me.

signed,

waiting for a cough syrup refill in New Orleans

© Copyright 2005 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2005-02-26 07:08 PM

Karen, last year and the year before I got the Flu shot and still got the flu because the vaccine turned out to be for a  different strain.  Almost everyone I know that has gotten the flu this year, had the shot.

I didn't get the shot because I didn't want to go through the system of filling out forms
sending them to my Dr and waiting for a specific date and time to receive it in a group of people probably carrying more germs than just that of the flu...anyway I got the flu I think before the shots were available again.
It was awful and painful but I survived and didn't have to lay out the money for the shot only to get the flu again anyway.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2005-02-26 07:17 PM

*smile*

I'm just outraged at the public scare tactic of "shortage" screaming.

(for me personally? there ain't a vaccine in the world that's gonna save me from myself )

There's just the undeniable fact that I was denied, as were members of my family, due to an apparent media induced frenzy that has got me ticked. Considering the timing of this with polititics, I'm a tad suspicious too.

I can't smell much, but I smell a rat.

and check your email. grin

I heard a joke I'd like to share with you.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2005-02-26 07:30 PM

and btw? If I should contract another form of flu, let me just say "thanks" & "goodbye" right now.

sheesh

you sure know how to cheer a body up.  

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2005-02-26 07:31 PM

Yeah, I can understand the suspicion somewhat. We heard before the flu season came around that there would be plenty of vaccinations unlike the few previous years, then we hear almost upon the eve of the flu season otherwise.

I guess I'm just preferring to be quiet here somehow. Like I disagreed with Kerry very much when he blamed Bush for the flu vaccine shortages. I thought that was going too far in his campaign. I just don't see why those like Bush would be at fault there.

I guess I really don't know what to think here. I believe there absolutely is a shortage, which is clear from all the local news I've seen regarding homeless veterans in Vancouver, Washington standing in line waiting for them and many not getting any because of very limited quantities.

I'm just vague on exactly who produces the vaccinations, how they're marketed, the evaluation process, etc.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2005-02-26 07:38 PM

Serenity gal, you can blame the media so anxious to jump on the democratic bandwagon to proclaim the shortage in another attempt to paint Bush in an unfavorable light. These people don't consider, or even care about, the consequences of their actions.

Hope you feel better

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2005-02-26 07:39 PM

Sorry to hear you're under the weather, in more ways than one. *comf*  Normally, millions of flu vaccinations go to waste each year, so the CDC scaled back production requests, and then the plant in England was found to have corrupted vaccines, making them useless.  Thus the huge shortfall.  So, no really knowing how many would want vaccines, and given that the CDC was short much more than normally they had surplus, the edict was issued that only the very young and very old who are prone to illness get them.

Which still might not have helped, seeing how there's normally one vaccine for one strain, though there's many strains at any given time.  Basically, Russian Roulette that you'll get the shot for the strain that hits you.  And snowbirds/tourists can be rather vile.  My SO's been sick many times from 'winter visitors' passing along things they caught or were exposed to elsewhere, and yes, currency is the most dangerous common transmittor for those prone to illness.

Personally, I never get flu vaccines.  Odds are if I do get it, it'll be another variant, and I really don't care for waiting in long lines where I'm the youngest person there by a good 40 years, and most those in line aren't full time residents, or even state residents at all (Arizona law states the moment you take a job, buy land, or put someone in school, you are a resident, and liable for state taxes).  'Sides, I still recall the Swine Flu Epidemic.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2005-02-26 07:58 PM

Thanks all, and as I wait for a refill I happen to know an old witch recipe that involves some mist of the Canadian and essence of "street". *wince and wink*

And yanno Ali? I've never received a flu vaccine either. I never had insurance before.

And Mike? It's little comfort to me to lay the blame on partisan politics, because it seems to me, that the Bush people would have used the "hopeful projectile" stance in defense--had they been aware. The fact that they didn't is of little solace. Now have a bi-partisan hug. thanks

But I do thank you all, and hope to learn more about this subject, as I truly believe as the world becomes smaller, our risk of contagion looms larger.

(and sssssssssssh...I didn't once whisper "pandemics" )

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
8 posted 2005-02-26 08:10 PM

quote:
Serenity gal, you can blame the media so anxious to jump on the democratic bandwagon to proclaim the shortage in another attempt to paint Bush in an unfavorable light. These people don't consider, or even care about, the consequences of their actions.

In general, I'd disagree with you, as I happen to believe there's many that would back Bush up in any circumstance out of patriotic pride or whatnot, but in this instance I'd agree with you.

I didn't understand Kerry making that accusation, simply because he backed it up with nothing. And it's ironic because he's one who loves research and hitting the books and when I consider that, comparing it from his excellent debate skills and overall knowledge of the issues, he had nothing and indeed instances like that were his major Achilles heel.

I just don't know how this whole vaccination process works, so I just prefer to believe we must now set attention on fall 2005 and see to it we are more prepared next time.

quote:
Personally, I never get flu vaccines.  Odds are if I do get it, it'll be another variant, and I really don't care for waiting in long lines where I'm the youngest person there by a good 40 years, and most those in line aren't full time residents, or even state residents at all (Arizona law states the moment you take a job, buy land, or put someone in school, you are a resident, and liable for state taxes).  'Sides, I still recall the Swine Flu Epidemic.

Yeah, I haven't gotten one since I was nine. I actually have an incredibly strong immune system (I've only been sick twice in a span of seven years). So absolutely no need for me to get one.

Yea, I've heard the CDC also come up often in this debate. I guess the vaccinations were contaminated or something. And generally, I absolutely believe that's how it should work. Children and the elderly should be the ones first up in getting these vaccinations. And if there's any remaining after that, which it may be a while until we see that happening, well, that'll be a greater debate.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2005-03-01 03:01 PM

Well you know how sick I have been Karen, and I got the darn shot.  Remember my tip, gargle with salt/warm water,  and a dollop of honey before bed, then try to prop yourself upright (well you know what I mean right?)   I am talking to a witch!
hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
10 posted 2005-03-04 12:17 PM

LOL, whatever happened to us getting extra from Canadia? Now that what the real kicker!

Interestingly enough, now all employees at my work can get them for free. I'm a perfectly healthy young adult, and I could stroll in for a free-of-charge flu shot right now.

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
11 posted 2005-03-04 10:25 AM

Karen girl, I hope you are feelin' better. Don't worry about the stupid flu shot....like Mysteria, I got mine and I am still getting over a THREE WEEK bout of it!!! Stick to your own notions and potions.
hugs, Chrislane

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Flu Vaccine Shortage?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary