navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Sudan
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sudan Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA

0 posted 2005-01-31 11:34 PM

Sudan's Darfur crimes not genocide, says UN report

The report by a five-member commission, headed by the Italian judge Antonio Cassese, is due to be published today.

The study was set up by the UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, in October to investigate whether genocide was being conducted in Darfur, where tens of thousands have been killed and 1.8 million displaced.

A UN source said yesterday that the commission's conclusion was that the testimony it took did not amount to proof of genocide. "But it does say crimes against humanity of an ethnic nature have been committed and recommends going to the ICC."

A conclusion that genocide was being committed would have imposed an obligation on the international community to intervene in Darfur.

I'm wondering what the difference is between genocide and "crimes against humanity of an ethnic nature".

gen*o*cide    The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

Ia it not genocide because they didn't get them all or is it because of the last sentence?

© Copyright 2005 Michael Mack - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2005-01-31 11:56 PM

This is where I would disagree on behalf of Annan.

I mentioned before though all in all I believe the United Nations has served the interests of the world and built strong communities in over half a century, I believe they could be doing more in resolving the conflict in Sudan, as well as Kashmir and the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Call it what you like, the time is now to form an international session in discussing how we can peacefully convene and sympathize with the needs and concerns of the people in Darfur and beyond.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"You'll find something that's enough to keep you
But if the bright lights don't receive you
You should turn yourself around and come back home" MB20

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
2 posted 2005-02-01 12:26 PM

“The commission concluded that the Sudanese government "has not pursued a policy of genocide", but added that the crimes against humanity and war crimes committed in Darfur might be no less serious.

It said some individuals - including government officials - may have committed "acts with genocidal intent". However, it did not name names. “

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4224757.stm

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

3 posted 2005-02-01 01:28 PM

From a political standpoint, China imports substantial quantities of Sudanese oil.  Since the Chinese have veto power, no U.N. sanctions have been imposed after years of genocide, mass murder, war crimes, (you take your pick of names) because the Chinese want the oil.

Perhaps the U.N. could start a food for oil program?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-02-01 01:43 PM

I'm sure France, Germany and Russia would like that. *chuckle*
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
5 posted 2005-02-01 09:34 PM

“In the scathing essay, Churchill called the traders and other businesspeople who worked at the World Trade Center in New York "Eichmanns" — a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who organized Nazi plans to exterminate Europe's Jews.

That's because he believes American foreign policy and the spread of capitalism around the world for U.S. profit are acts of genocide against Iraqi civilians and others in the same way as the Nazi movement was against the Jews during World War II.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,146039,00.html

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Sudan

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary