navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Hand Salute
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Hand Salute Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2005-01-30 12:25 PM

One has to respect the courage of those Iraqi men
and women who went to voteā€¦

© Copyright 2005 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2005-01-30 03:48 PM

I certainly do and I salute them as well.

The courage that they displayed by going to vote under the threat of death tells me that they are serious about wanting freedom and will fight to defend it, even after we leave.

Tim
since 1999-06-08
Posts 1794

2 posted 2005-01-30 05:31 PM

Within a period of four years, two of the most repressive regimes the world has ever known have been overthrown and their people holding successful elections.

Imagine the courage of the first person going to vote in Mosul and the women standing in line to vote with their children in their arms.

And then on the down side, I heard Senator Kerry's take on the election this morning...

Begrudgingly he acknowledged a limited success and then uttered the liberals mantra    BUT!!!    

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

3 posted 2005-01-30 05:53 PM

I can't even imagine myself going out to vote under those conditions, Tim. I guess that's why I was so in awe seeing the flood of people heading to the polls in spite of the death threats and in spite of actual attacks in some areas. They just kept coming out. Amazing.

We take the right to vote so for granted that bad weather can keep us home. They put us to shame today, that's for sure.

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-01-30 07:40 PM

The photo of the Iraqi woman showing 2 fingers in a V, with one stained in purple ink, was poignant and summed it all up, causing slight cessation of breathing on my part.  That says it all.

And then there's the rest.  Media outlets claiming voters were dissuaded by insurgents, poor turnout due to insurgents, bad hair days due to insurgents.  Actually, I made up the last one, but I wouldn't be surprised seeing something equally as absurd be reported as bona-fide truth beyond scrutiny.  And then the DiD's (Democrats in Denial) that mouth they wouldn't want Saddam there, but have very very little good to say about our servicemen and women, the Iraqi security forces, and the bare bones will and desire for self determination of the Iraqi citizenry, nor do those naysaying elected officials have any real alternatives to offer.  As an aside, I wonder how closely they actually represent their supposed and nominal constituencies with their anti-everything-Bush-is-trying-to-do rhetoric.

Even Iran had polling stations for Iraqis, the most of any country outside of Iraq.  The Iraqi in Iran were encouraged to vote, that Allah desired them to vote.  The fact that very select parties, namely those for a united Arab theocracy, were recommended was to be expected.

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2005-01-30 07:59 PM

I pray that this is the beginning of the end of suffering in Iraq.

It can be a grand and glorious start.

And quite honestly, I hope I was wrong about this administration too.

I'm hoping that the altruistic intent espoused by our government will become apparent, as the United States makes efforts to withdraw military occupation and allows Iraq, to stand independant, with their religious views intact.

Well, that's my prayer for today anyway.

*peace*

LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

6 posted 2005-01-31 02:08 PM

Guess this gives new meaning to the cliche
"Out of everything bad, comes good!"

I salute these brave souls, for their courage and fidelity to freedom...however, sitting on the edge of my seat, waiting to see how this unfolds 5 years from now...and yes, we do take so much for granted, don't we?  

Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
7 posted 2005-01-31 08:23 PM

To all who have made it possible.

www.livejournal.com/users/alimakins

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Hand Salute

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary