navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oldest Woman To Give Birth
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Oldest Woman To Give Birth Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
TexUS
since 2003-03-20
Posts 228

0 posted 2005-01-17 01:37 AM

A 66 year old Romanian woman gives birth.  She was pregnant with twins, but one baby did not survive.  
The sperm and egg apparently came from a young healthy couple.  Were the doctors involved in this pregnancy using her body for some sort of strange experiment?  This woman said she has always wanted to be a mother, but, why wait so long?  Is it selfish of her to bring a new life into this world when hers is almost over?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050116/od_afp/afplifestyleromaniahealthmother_050116161833

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050116/od_nm/romania_pregnancy_dc

There are conflicting thoughts regarding this issue, as you can read in the articles above.
I wonder what the future has in store for this child. She may be resentful about losing her twin, and having such an elderly mother.  I suppose our bodies go through menopause for a reason…and maybe this is another one of those things men should avoid interfering with?

© Copyright 2005 TexUS - All Rights Reserved
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
1 posted 2005-01-17 08:20 PM

“…answers me
with a cold breath,
you never noticed
though I called

and called
and keep on calling
from a place
beyond,

beyond love,
where nothing,
everything,
wants to be born.”

by Mark Strand

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2005-01-17 08:33 PM

I think it boils down to what is acceptable in our Western world view regarding families.  It's quite alright for late teens and early twenties to have children, though those age groups stand at the highest risk for divorce and nasty custody battles.  I know there was some mumbling on my mom's side when she and dad married (he was 36 at the time and mom was 25), and had children between the ages of 37 through 45.  He still is living, as is she, and both enjoy their grandchildren.  Odds are, with the great strides in medicine, though he's now 74, he'll probably be around for greatgrandchildren.

As for the articles, it is not clear if the daughter or son was the mother's own offspring, though the second article stated she had a history of failed pregnancies.  From her statements, the assumption is that the donor family (her own family) was not tied by blood or genetics to her.  The more jaded side of me was that this was done solely for political purposes and gaining an entry into the record books.

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
3 posted 2005-01-17 09:09 PM

Alicat,

“done solely for political purposes”

Has Bush no sense of decency!!
Wait ‘til this becomes more known!
It has something to do with Iraq doesn’t it?!!

!

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
4 posted 2005-01-17 09:18 PM

Sarcasm aside, in many countries, where one does something of relative importance to that country, all people in that country live vicariously through their victory.  Yuri Gagarin and Charles Lindberg come to mind.  One thing to keep in mind is that no feat is too small or mundane for a country to take nationalistic pride about it.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
5 posted 2005-01-17 09:49 PM

Alicat,

To go off on a tangent: what’s the last really dumb thing done by an individual,
(excluding Bush Noah/Brad and kind), that  Americans take nationalistic pride in?
Keep your response in the character of the event above.

Didn’t a Japanese come to the U.S. and win
the hotdog eating contest?

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
6 posted 2005-01-17 10:21 PM

You're going into cultural differences.  Not to mention that Americans have one of the shortest attention spans on this planet.

And by culteral differences, American culture (and yes, there is one), is very different than Romanian culture, not to mention other Slavic countries.  Where we might take local or regional pride in one's accomplishments, very rarely do those make their way into papers and classrooms across the nation.  Geography could also have something to do with it, since the US is a rather large country, with most European countries being the size of Texas or smaller.  Smaller countries equal smaller 'states' equal smaller 'counties' equal closer cities.  The quotes are there since different places call those things by different names.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Oldest Woman To Give Birth

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary