navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » You are Here....
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic You are Here.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart

0 posted 2002-02-20 10:00 PM

You Are Here

You were there Dad, as was I
sitting silently, closely by
and with us sat the shadow of death,
I heard it with every labored breath.

I knew you were not sore afraid
not the way which my hand in yours laid,
an easy grasp of mine you tried to make
but strength was going, I felt you shake.

Words were not said, no verbal tools,
but my mind and saddening heart were full
to think that silence filled the room
and yet I did not heed the gloom.

For what can be said between daughter and Dad,
no time to be happy, but no time to be sad,
this silent, precious time was enhanced
because of the beauty of life’s chance.

My epoch moments with you were all mine,
sweetly silvered, never to vanish in time,
different from my siblings, they knew others;
while silently for you I tended your covers.

Ah Dad, it’s been some long, long while
since last your earth’s voice or your wry smile
came soft to my ears, delighted my eyes,
or heard you tender your sage wisdom wise.

But you are here, Dad, you are here
whispering faintly in my ear
come late at night, or early morn
making me glad I was yours when born.

Keep being my conscience, keep being my Dad
keep making me happy, even when sad,
keep being here, for here you are,
my Dad, my friend, my sage, my star.

~*~

29 October, 1999
©KRJ

© Copyright 2002 Karilea Rilling Jungel - All Rights Reserved
Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

1 posted 2002-02-20 10:03 PM

Karilea you close my evening with a tear of rememberance for my own father.  This is extremely beautiful.  Thank you and peace to you...

On the wings of words our spirits fly....and our souls are free.
~Me~

(I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance~Garth)

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2002-02-20 10:07 PM

Oh Karilea, how absolutely exquisite this was, and how very, very lucky you were to have such a relationship with your Father, that is how it should be and I could read of this forever, but I think I will for he is indeed around the next corner.

Live today like it was your last day on earth!
  ~* I don't know who said it but they were sure right *~

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
3 posted 2002-02-20 10:10 PM

Kari darling sister of my soul this was as usual for you utterly utterly wonderful. Its such a special read each word flowing into the next. No one writes the way you do darling girl nobody.

You are an utterly UTTERLY superb writer and this is fabulous.
I always enjoy your writing and this is just sooooooo wonderful. Such beauty is amazing to see, you’ve brought tears of remembrance to my eyes. Wonderful Utterly wonderful

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
4 posted 2002-02-20 10:29 PM

Karilea, this is so lovingly penned.  Reminds me of the relationship I had with my own father, and how much I miss him now that he has passed on.  My how I looked up to and admired him! I still do.
Thank you for this one tonight..it was sooo needed.
~Hugs, Nancy~

~Love, like magic, depends on believing.~

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
5 posted 2002-02-20 10:57 PM

Sunshine - I echo my sister Enchantress's words. I miss my Dad deeply, yet think sometimes I hear him whistling...could be....might be...
Very much enjoyed this. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
6 posted 2002-02-20 11:47 PM

Karilea,

I remember that room well and the weak grasp of my Daddy's hand and then how he was unable to grasp at all, but still I held tightly as he passed on.  This poem made me cry and miss my dear father all the more this evening.  God bless you and ease your aching heart.

Michael  

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
7 posted 2002-02-21 08:56 AM

It's surprising, how often we find our thoughts dwelling in a pleasant moment with a departed loved one ... irreplaceable memories

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
8 posted 2002-02-21 09:10 AM

Wonderful.

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
9 posted 2002-02-21 09:54 AM

I would have loved this at any time and recognized its beauty... but having so recently experienced such worry about my own Dad, each word goes straight into my heart... as this poem is going straight into my library. Excellent!
Tiersdin
Member Elite
since 2000-11-17
Posts 2364
east coast
10 posted 2002-02-21 10:07 AM

Sunshine, the way you describe this moment is so beautiful and sad at the same time.  A lovely tribute to the most important man in your life...

*hugs*

~tier

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
11 posted 2002-02-21 10:11 AM

Karilea--He is with you, my friend, in your heart, where candles are the kind you can't blow out.  A tender kissed poem!
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

12 posted 2002-02-21 11:11 AM

My epoch moments with you were all mine,
sweetly silvered, never to vanish in time,
different from my siblings, they knew others;
while silently for you I tended your covers.
===================================

this is beautiful K ... a tenderly touching tribute.
I was brought to mind of another poets words ...

"You are there...yet here with me still."

You do him proud, your pen does him justice.

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
13 posted 2002-02-21 11:15 AM

you know how I feel about this one. . . and it's for that reason that this poem will stand the test of time. . .

well done my friend. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

14 posted 2002-02-21 11:33 AM

Tender lovely words Sunshine:sun: enjoyed reading..hugss

~Vic

amigo
since 2001-10-12
Posts 520
the earth school
15 posted 2002-02-21 12:00 PM

Beautiful, dear one, - the words & the connection you had with your Dad...i'm sure he's here amongst us feeling proud of his little treasure, thank you for sharing....
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
16 posted 2002-02-21 03:08 PM

My father is still here, but this reminds me of the long battle my Grandfather had with Lupus (sp).  I was unable to be there when he died, or attend the funeral due to a pending birth...The point:  He was an incredible man.  This reminds me of the love I will always hold for him.  Thank you for sharing this.
Fee
since 2000-08-07
Posts 381
Melbourne, Australia
17 posted 2002-02-21 04:59 PM

I can not say how I am feeling, just know that you have touched my heart.

Hugs, Fee

Expressions,
are the most important aspects, they create impressions

0'.".'0  Just
((T))    Thinking
(..)(..) Of you
(```)_(```)

Dark Stranger
Member Patricius
since 2001-03-19
Posts 13631
West Coast
18 posted 2002-02-21 05:00 PM

tributes
are angels
with wing voices

well done

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
19 posted 2002-02-21 05:03 PM

(BIG HUGGGSSSSSS) God Bless You, sweet friend, your father will always be so happy and delighted to have such a loving and compassionate daughter like you whose heart always shines with sunshine! (kiss on cheek) We all love you so much, sweet friend, this is so beautiful it made me cry, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Karilea, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
20 posted 2002-04-03 02:10 PM

enjoyed
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
21 posted 2002-04-03 03:42 PM

This is just so beautiful Sunshine, what a great tribute to your father. You must have loved him dearly, I can tell.

Thank you sweet friend for sharing.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Check out my new website: lookheretitia.fcpages.com (I didn't 'link' this, so it won't take too much space).I

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
22 posted 2002-04-05 04:54 AM

2dalimit
Member Elite
since 2000-02-08
Posts 2228
Mississippi coast
23 posted 2002-04-05 09:02 AM

Thanks for sharing. Your poem is a beautiful way to remember.

Melton

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
24 posted 2002-04-05 09:48 AM

Every now and then, a poet takes something that is very meaningful to them, and as a remembrance, a tribute to one, just because, they put it somewhere important to them.  In a safe spot.  Then they see...it was never meant for just their heart to contain.  It was meant to transcend, and touch others.  How humbled I am to see all of your kind words taking this up...allowing it to fly...

Donna...thank you for allowing this to come to you by and through your father...

Mysteria...yes, you are so right...our loved ones are only "just around the next corner..."

Marsha, our mushy one, if there is ever one person who believes that I might be a poet, it would be you...thank you so much for your continued words of encouragement...

Enchantress, if I brought you a gift, you have returned it a multitude of times...thank you for sharing this, your unique qualities, with everyone here at Passions...

Nightshade...ever hear a barbershop's quartet of whistlers...can't you just imagine, they are all together, whistling just for their daughters and sons....thank you for being a part of Passions...

Auguste, sometimes we have to release that pain inside, just as you have shared with us...but you know, we don't cry, without our minds going to the better part of those memories, the ones that make us smile...

Rex, as always, your words treat my eyes when I see that you reply as good as you write poetry....

Interloper...One word says it all...thank you...

suthern, if a hearttouch is all that was needed, you may borrow mine anytime...they are always on loan...hugs dear lady....

Tier, life is beautiful and sad, all at the same moment....if a person can capture that feeling and allow it to touch others by the written word, then what more can we ask for?....thank you....

Martie, I thank you for your ever gracious, and unending support...someone who is in the middle of delivering flowers at all times and for all occasions knows very well how hard it is to sometimes express what we really feel....

Janet Marie, trust me, if I had never come to Passions to learn how best to express myself, I don't know if this little piece could have ever been written, even though the words were tucked deep inside...thank you for your ever constant vigilance in letting us know if we do good....

Sven...if you think this one will stand the test of time, then it shall be so...thank you....

Thank you for reading, Victoria...

Amigo...yes, he is most definitely here, and whistling...

Amusemi - your grandfather was indeed an incredible man...I know this, because you believe it to be so, and have shared your thoughts...thank you for that...

Fee, what you have said, is just enough to let us know how you feel...thank you...

Dark Stranger...that's it, in a nutshell...thank you so much for taking time to read...

Noah, your comments are always filled with your spirit and soul...thank you for reading....

Vandana...thank you so much for bringing this back up...

Titia, indeed, my father's passing was much too soon...but he lives on...thank you, and say hello to your Mum from all of Passions...

Passing Shadows...what can I say...thank you....

Melton...once someone said "what you wrote, made me call my folks..." and isn't THAT what it's all about?  Thank you...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » You are Here....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary