navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Her Sitting Stood For Liberty (Woman's month challenge)
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic Her Sitting Stood For Liberty (Woman's month challenge) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan

0 posted 2002-03-10 12:49 PM

Her Sitting Stood For Liberty (Woman's month challenge)

It wasn't all that long ago
she took a seat on the bus
up front, where she wasn't supposed to sit
it caused quite a stir and a fuss

this lovely dark skinned woman
who lived in Alabama
at a time of social unrest
her persistance caused a clamour

bigotry is sinful
pitting brother against brother
in a nation's fight for freedom
we have learned to love one another

the woman's name was Rosa
and her sitting stood for liberty
as she sat, she stood her ground
to set her people free

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

[This message has been edited by Madame Chipmunk (03-10-2002 12:50 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Lyra Nesius - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2002-03-10 12:59 PM

BRAVO!!! Oh my gosh, this is fabulous, sweet friend, your wonderful words shine with freedom and justice for all, I LOVE IT!!! (big hugggsssssss) Rosa will always be one of our heroes, sweet friend, this is excellent, we all love you so much! (kiss on cheek) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Lyra, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

2 posted 2002-03-10 01:02 AM

Oh yes Rosa Parks...i will have to look into his challenge..good one hon hugsss

~Vic

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

3 posted 2002-03-10 02:47 AM

I thought from your title this poem may be about Rosa Parks.  I grew up (mostly) in Alabama and her story was more than a history or civil rights lesson to me.  You've chosen a most appropriate woman to meet this challenge, Lyra.  Very much enjoyed!
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2002-03-10 02:55 AM

Oh I loved this story, and when she went back and back to get her right to vote, I was so proud of her!  Great write about a great woman in our history.  I hate to say this but I think if women ran the country it would eliminate a lot of the unrest Lyra LOL, I swear it would.  We don't take as much as men do anymore these days, and we sure can settle things way faster! And let's face it - we have one thing we can use against them to get our way, so that would be the end to a lot of social and political problems (now who am I kidding

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
  ~* Albert Einstein *~

Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
5 posted 2002-03-10 03:00 AM

Lyra,
What an awesome line "her sitting stood for liberty"! And an awesome lady. See what can be accomplished when we're tired. Great write.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-03-10 08:45 AM

Wonderful painting, still topical poem, and some great responses...

what more could I enjoy with my morning cup?

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

7 posted 2002-03-10 08:49 AM

Oh Yes Rosa Parks, how strong and courageous she was to do that. That would be something I think I would do for my rights as a human being. Lyra you wrote a beautiful tribute to her. We should all try to remember always that God made us all, no matter the color, race, creed. What a wonderful world that would be. love this, floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
8 posted 2002-03-10 09:26 AM

Lyra, this is wonderful!! I just watched the TV movie about this part of her life and was inspired all over again. She was quietly brave..... Thank you for this.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
9 posted 2002-03-10 02:24 PM

Yes, Rosa's bravery encourages some of us even today, to speak our mind and sit proudly and firmly upon whatever 'seat' we believe is rightfully ours. And yes, the struggle for freedom is also still very much alive and well.
Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
10 posted 2002-03-10 03:33 PM

Lyra - this is a wonderful tribute to Rosa. I thoroughly enjoyed this write as I do all of your work. Chris

Life is not measured by breaths you take, but by moments that take your breath away.

Silver Streak
Member Elite
since 2002-01-02
Posts 3625
FL, USA
11 posted 2002-03-10 04:09 PM

Lyra,

Yes, throughout history, woman have always been out front as our best freedom fighters. Thanks for reminding us of a very special one.

((Lyra))
-newell

Sharing God's Love through perfectlovepoetry.com

Copyright: 2002 Newell Elsworth Usher

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
12 posted 2002-03-10 05:11 PM

Lyra darling girl you have no idea how close is the subject of liberty and equality to my soul. The very bedrock of my soul, every thought and action is a result of growing up in a household where women’s liberation was a concept long before it became an issue. My great grandmother marched with Emmeline Pankhurst 1858 –1928 British suffragette movement Do I know of Rosa, yes I do and applaud her loud and long for the service she did to liberty.

This is a wonderful poem that is written with your incredible style and grace, you are an amazing woman. Liberty, fraternity, and equality

:bump: :bump:
Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

PearlsB4Swine
since 2002-02-01
Posts 130
where the heart finds me
13 posted 2002-03-10 05:57 PM

A true Sufferagette! Articulately crafted and in good taste. I enjoyed this! Hope you are feeling a bit better spiritually, if not physically! All my best!
Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
14 posted 2002-03-10 06:24 PM

Noah...thanks so much for your reply.
Rosa is a very admirable woman

Victoria...please look into this challenge, I know you will be able to find a woman who is worthy of your poetry.  Perhaps you should look in the mirror

Duncan...you are right!  This is more than a history lesson, or even about a lesson in civil rights.  Its a lesson in human rights and an example set by a highly principled woman of humble origins.  Thanks for your reply

Sharon...I agree with you.  I think women would do  a much better job of ruling the world than men do.  And that one thing of which you speak...........................
is our superior brain.
Thanks for replying.

Larry...LOL......Maybe we should be tired more often.  Actually, I don't think she was just tired, I think she was angry!  I have found that anger is one of the best motivators.  But she did it in such a quiet, classy, understated way.  She is my hero and I really admire her.  Thanks for replying.

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
15 posted 2002-03-10 06:55 PM

Karilea...thanks for your reply.  I hope you enjoyed your coffee also.

Floria...I agree with you.  She was an extremely brave woman and she stood for justice and the dignity of all races.
thanks for your reply

PDV...thanks for this challenge.  I think this is a wonderful idea because there are so many admirable women who deserve tributes.
I also think you summed it up well, when you said "quietly brave".  Thanks also for replying.

Kacy...thanks for your comments.  I hope that more of us take this challenge.

Chris...thanks for your reply...Please see my comments to Kacy, above.  We need more tributes to the world's wonderful women

[This message has been edited by Madame Chipmunk (03-11-2002 01:52 AM).]

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
16 posted 2002-03-10 06:59 PM

Newell...thanks so much, its always good to hear from you.

Marsha...I'm not at all surprised that you come from a family of liberated women.  I could certainly imagine you sitting on that bus doing the same thing.

PB4S...Its good to hear from you again.  I'm definitely working on it.  Thanks for your concern.

N orth Carolina Girl
since 2001-12-04
Posts 962
NC,USA
17 posted 2002-03-10 08:26 PM

Lyra,this is great friend!TAKE CARE!
Love,

Juanita

"always have a smile on your face it makes people wonder what you`re up to:

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
18 posted 2002-03-10 09:11 PM

A fitting tribute to a courageous and classy lady. Thanks for the reminder of the bravery of others who have gone before us to make this world a better place.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
19 posted 2002-03-10 09:22 PM

History has been blessed, and changed, by people with nerve enough to stand up and say "I'm not going to take it any more." Rosa Parks was one...a very fitting tribute, ;ady
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Her Sitting Stood For Liberty (Woman's month challenge)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary