navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Misguided Suffragette
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic Misguided Suffragette Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA

0 posted 2002-03-09 10:54 PM

Misguided Suffragette

Flaxen-haired once - streaked now by miles
Waxen-looked taunts - legacy of faded smiles
Fretfulness, the worse has already come and gone
Regretful Baroness, says farewell to apologetic harm.

A swollen majesty, a suffragette is she.
She's left so many desperate times before
Wolf, accustomed to the bite, outside the door
Novice contentment - courtesan of fatality

Each day she feels each woe's she's ever had
Bereft of being Daddy's girl - painful and sad
Paragon Queen of Drama, on stage of her own
Noisome frailties shrink her heart - her home.

She has dimmed the light out of brightest stars
Symbolic sympathies played by absurd avatar
Pushing for issues that aren't voted on yet
She was - and always will be a
Misguided Suffragette

© Copyright 2002 Picasso Lyrics - All Rights Reserved
Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
1 posted 2002-03-09 11:19 PM

Wow, awesome!  I especially loved the lines "A swollen majesty, a suffragette is she" and "Novice contentment - courtesan of fatality"...your word usage and descriptions of the woman in this piece are superb.  Thank you for such a unique and well-penned read.  I enjoyed!     

*Krista Knutson*

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." -Gandhi

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

2 posted 2002-03-09 11:42 PM

I like her cause she doesnt like shoes either ha...this was beautifully written jeff...loved the painting too...very lovely..hugss

~Vic

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2002-03-09 11:54 PM

Suffering suffragettes!
Nice picture of Miss Guided.
She didn't look like she suffered much.

PearlsB4Swine
since 2002-02-01
Posts 130
where the heart finds me
4 posted 2002-03-10 05:39 PM

I enjoyed this thoughful piece. It can either describe a feminist looking back over her life to try and understand why it all went wrong, or one who became so initmate with her own goals that she allowed the "feminine" side of her to be buried in the rubble of a broken life and believes herself justified. This could apply to many women who were mislead by the feminist movement, and those who were merely distracted. Very potently presented.

I followed the link in your picture...Jezebel is a prime example of Feminism of her day. Excellent choice of artwork!

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
5 posted 2002-03-10 07:18 PM

(sigh) Wow, this is wonderful, sweet friend, I too saw a vision of a girl growing up and affected by the feminist movement too, trying to win rights for women! (big hugggsssss) This is excellent, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Jeff, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

6 posted 2002-03-10 07:20 PM

Shadow thanks for this, I really enjoyed this and I loved the painting too. floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
7 posted 2002-03-10 07:28 PM

ShadowRider darling heart, very good piece gives me a lot to ponder on. No one who has studied the feminist movement will deny that there are tragic stories within. For one thing the very word feminism has become for some anathema, this largely because of the harm that has been done the cause by some who hijacked it for their own ends. Thence serving no ones desires least of all their own. I won’t go into here the convoluted and often crazy side tracks of the issue but would advise anyone who is interested in the women’s movement and or the issue of equality to get themselves a copy of The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan.

This is a very well written and clever poem, I’m very impressed.

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

[This message has been edited by Marsha (03-10-2002 08:39 PM).]

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
8 posted 2002-03-10 08:12 PM

Beautifully written, Shadow....
I love the painting, too!
This reminds me of a spoiled little girl who grew up believing she could always have what she wanted, and then found out that she couldn't.
In short...I think you wrote this poem about me!
Thank you!

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA
9 posted 2002-03-10 09:29 PM

alwye:  I am pleased as punch you identified those two lines.  I know sometimes it doesn't show, but I spend much time working each line. . .just so.    And, for you to see that effort,. . .well, it makes it all worthwhile.   Thank you!

Vic:  there's something as sweet as honey about your responses.   *s*   Not sure why Jezebel didn't have any shoes, but that works for me as well!  The more calluses we have, the less we are cut easily! My hopes are:  I didn't step on too many toes in writing this!  Thanks Vic!

MidniteSun:  ~laughing~  I think the suffering is metaphorical and internal anguish, mostly!   A suffragette has the right idea; it's the application of those that leaves a method to be desired.

PB4S:  Hey guy!  You hit the proverbial nail on the head-nose with that appraisal.  Exactly so. Is it some person that plays the drama queen, or is it describing the pitfalls of the feminist movement? One thing is for certain:  the playing field needed equaled.  They are hero's in my book.

ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA
10 posted 2002-03-10 09:40 PM

Noah:  it is a story of sorts.  Of how values, necessary ones, are at times convoluted in order to make
them work right.  Hopefully the picture wasn't as morose as I painted it.  Noah, I appreciate so much
your replies, and your time in reading.  You are one special person, Ami!

Floria:  Awww….thank you sweet gal!  Just a humble effort to keep all things important
in some kind of historic perspective.  

Marsha:  I am dumbfounded by that profound response.  For you to put that much thought into the
response is indeed humbling to this writer.  The hijacked inner-purposes of feminism was a definite
intent on why I wrote this.  I did read that book, the Feminine Mystique.  It's about time I reread it.
I wish the movement could get back on the right track again, don't you?  *sigh*

Aw Madame Munkster:  I do hope you are feeling better.  I can tell by your words you right, you have
the chutzpah it takes to beat those physical demons.  Godwilling, Godbless you.  and by the way,
ahem…I was one of them there-dude(ettes) too!  Found you have to work hard to get what you need.
What you want comes later!

Thank all of you so much, and take care of yourselves.
tSR/Jeff

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
11 posted 2002-03-12 11:46 AM

Jeff darling boy, yes love I do wish that Feminism could return to it’s essential paths. I think I very nearly displayed my brain in my reply and that would never do you know. Shhhh I don’t think anyone noticed that I slipped up And you won’t tell anyone will you? Good.

As I said before this is an outstanding piece of writing

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
12 posted 2002-03-12 12:31 PM

I love your style, creative phrases and message in this.  I'm not sure if I've ever read your poetry before, but, I will definately look forward to more by you...you have talent!

Take care,
Melissa~

"Poetry is not an opinion expressed...
it is a song that rises from a bleeding
wound...or a smiling mouth"

~Kahlil Gibran~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Misguided Suffragette

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary