navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Jewish American Princess...my life story
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic Jewish American Princess...my life story Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan

0 posted 2002-02-15 09:15 PM

Jewish American Princess

I'm a Jewish American Princess
home grown royalty
grew up in New York City
went to Boston University
received with honors, my MRS degree

while others skipped classes to smoke pot
I skipped those same classes to shop
I had more makeup and shoes and clothes
than the notorious Imelda Marcos

while most of my classmates
each night, went barhopping
I went to the mall
and did lots of shopping

I didn't like sports, involving fresh air
thought they might mess up my helmet of hair
instead I preferred staying inside
dressed up, with makeup perfectly applied

I grew up, got married and raised two kids
my husband taught me how others live

no one else takes a hairdryer camping at the lake
or wears so much makeup, that she looks fake
no one else wears high heels to go on a hike
or polished toenails to ride her bike

so I learned to walk barefoot on the beach
the wind in my hair
sand embracing my feet

without all that makeup
stiffened hair, teased and sprayed
I liked myself better
with each passing day

my first husband died young
I lost one of my sons
it puts life in perspective
when love comes undone

my feelings now have so much more depth
the small stuff, I've learned no longer to sweat
now in place of my youthful vanity
is a love for the Earth and all humanity

if the wind and the rain mess up my hair
my motto has now become "who cares:
life is too short, anyone can get burned
and so, toward the needy, I direct my concerns

but that princess within me, has not gone away
when I'm feeling low, I can still hear her say
go shopping
it'll make you feel better today

and sometimes she says, remember the fun
of makeup and clothes
now go get those nails done

I can still do those things, when I feel so inclined
but the woman I am, it no longer defines

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

[This message has been edited by Madame Chipmunk (02-15-2002 09:18 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Lyra Nesius - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2002-02-15 09:19 PM

Something tells me I would have liked the first you, but I would hug the now you longer...

and something tells me that we would be very, very good friends...

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2002-02-15 09:21 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Lyra, this is soooooooo beautifully bittersweet, sweet friend, my heart goes out to your losses in life but I know deep down you will always be the lovely princess you are to us all and you will always grace everyone you meet with your love and you will find great hope and joy always! (kiss on cheek) We all love you so much, sweet friend, this had me flooding in tears, God Bless You! You have a very loving and compassionate heart, sweet Lyra, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

3 posted 2002-02-15 09:21 PM

i loved this madame...arent you glad teasing is out ha..i still get my nails done but  for nobody but me .. my fingers have to look pretty around that pen while i write poetry...hugss

~Vic

"Silence is a friend who
will never betray."
— Confucius

Silver Streak
Member Elite
since 2002-01-02
Posts 3625
FL, USA
4 posted 2002-02-15 09:57 PM

Hello Princess. Your life's story is fascinating, although I'm deeply sorry for your losses. But all the other stuff is wonderful. And to reinvent without losing all of the fun, fabulous!

I do believe that there is a part of a Lady's heart that God made with instincts to look, smell and act pretty, like a Princess, just to please the heavens. I believe that men just don't realize that the Spirit of Woman is an astronomical thing, where men and dogs are more alike than men and women. And looking beautiful and acting like a Princess is God programmed. King Solomon knew this, taught to him by the Queen of Sheba when God shared her with him to add more wisdom to his awesome store.

As for reinventing, I can very well relate to that, also. I reinvented three years, ago probably much more so than you did. I was an information technology entrepreneur, with detailed plans, budgets and stressful deadlines owning a high tech company, working on financial projects, responsible for handling billions of dollars, daily. Now I have no plans don't know how to budget, and wander aimlessly through parks and forests without stress writing poetry with no fences, floors or ceiling, just searching all of God's Creation for truth and defining all of my thoughts and questions in poetry.  And people who know me now think I'm really weird. LOL… And they are right.

But yes, I still revisit memories and occasionally dress up and check the stock markets dine at the Hilton, sipping fine brandy. But still I do it my way, always.

Thanks for writing this beautiful poem. O by the way I also have some Jewish blood through a Grandfather, and some Native American blood (Silver Streak is my real Native American name) through a Grandmother, and some other stuff.

Thanks again,
((Princess))
-newell      

Sharing God's Love through perfectlovepoetry.com

Copyright: 2002 Newell Elsworth Usher

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

5 posted 2002-02-15 10:23 PM

Madame; You have experienced much in your life; and I have no doubt I would like you very much.  I sense much depth there; and let's face it, there are times we all need a shopping trip or a trip to a salon to make our day.  Good writing.  Thoroughly enjoyed.  Wanda
Magicmystery
since 2002-02-13
Posts 821
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
6 posted 2002-02-15 10:41 PM

This was beautiful.... I am so glad you learned to lighten up... and fall in love with nature.  That takes alot of getting used to .... I don't think I could take getting my hair wet though... LOL

Cherish the good memories past and look forward to the adventure called Tomorrow.
But above all... be kind to yourself today.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
7 posted 2002-02-15 10:48 PM

Wonderful write Lyra!  Isn't it wonderful to enjoy life's simple pleasures?  I always try to look my best, but am finding that I look my best outside with the wind in my hair and sand between my toes!  
Gotta love ya for this one sweet poetess!
~Hugs, Nancy~

~Time has cast a spell on you,
So that you won't ever forget me~

ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA
8 posted 2002-02-15 11:02 PM

Dear Lyra,
    It takes courage to write of our totality in succint lines such as in this poem.
So many hurdles to cross; so many gorgeous sunsets to share with loved ones;
its all part of the ups/downs that make us a bit wiser, a big stronger.  I would like
to think, having been brought up in a semi-affluent lifestyle, that looooong ago i
left behind the immaturity of fretting about fashion, fitting in.  Sure, it made me a
loose cannon, but somehow its a more comfortable fit now.   It is with those thoughts
that i totally understand your perspective, your pain, your growth, and most of all
the acceptance of what must happen to stay pure inside and happy.

You have my admiration
and sincere wishes for the second part
of your new life,
tSR

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
9 posted 2002-02-16 08:28 AM

Wow. Now I can say I have known royalty.
Your highness, I bow to your magnificent write.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

10 posted 2002-02-16 10:23 AM

Lyra, can I tell you how simply beautiful this poem is. You are just writing fantastic lately. This is me.. yes me too...Love the mall and shopping, I have even given up the makeup thing all together, Natural is wonderful isnt it. I think as we age we really appreciate the best things in life. I loved this so very much.. floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Greeneyes
Deputy Moderator 50 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-09-09
Posts 9903
In Your Poetic Mind
11 posted 2002-02-16 10:39 AM

Lyra~

I use to take my hairdryer on camping trips...LOL I did...my dad and brothers use to laugh at me...OH welllll....I loved the truth in this, and the story line its self....you have a refreshing tone on life, thats a wonderful quality.....HUGS my friend....
Lauren~

Step through the
barrier of my mind,
enter my soul,
feel my desire,
let my eyes guide you
into the shadows
of my heart

[This message has been edited by Greeneyes (02-16-2002 10:40 AM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2002-03-16 08:00 AM

GenXer
since 2001-12-15
Posts 583
USA
13 posted 2002-03-16 11:22 AM

Lyra - This write is introspective, funny and sad.  Very good.

I am glad you learned to walk on the beach in your barefeet.  I couldn't imagine walking in high heels in the sand.lol  Also, you know what would make you feel real good when you go shopping, is to pick me up something.  You can mail it to me.

Dave

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
14 posted 2002-03-16 11:56 AM

Lyra,
Your aces high with me.
And we be what we must be.

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
15 posted 2002-03-16 12:17 PM

Lyra darling girl this is utterly utterly wonderful writing. Your life story is utterly fascinating, and you are beautiful darling heart. The ups and the downs, and your indomitable spirit shines clear and true. Take care Princess Lyra darling heart I’ll speak to you soon.

Love you xx

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
16 posted 2002-03-16 01:10 PM

it puts life in perspective
when love comes undone

That it does. *S* This is a wonderful write, Madame... you are still Princess of the Pen. *S*

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

17 posted 2002-03-16 03:02 PM

Lyra this is my most favorite poem and I think you should post it once a week for us. Boy you really put things into perspective on this one. and I have been there too, weekly visits to the beauty parlor etc. Well life is too darned short to spend it that way, I'd rather take a long walk, or sit out and read a book etc..Yes, there is so much more to life, and those little whispers do come back from time to time and then it is actually fun to go do those things again. And it is different then isn't it, It is fun and enjoyable, because it is a treat and not a necessity. I absolutely love how you wrote this piece, it should be published. love ya, floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
18 posted 2002-03-17 06:00 PM

Karilea...thanks for your reply...and I know we definitely would have been very good friends.....in fact, I think we ARE very good friends.   many huggsss!

Noah...thank you, you are such a very sweet person.  

Victoria...I used to get a manicure every week, but last summer...I discovered acrylic nails and my life hasn't been the same since.
I now only have to get them done every month, and the polish doesn't chip off them like it does off your own nails....they also dry a lot faster.....thanks for your reply.
  huggsss!

Newell...thanks so much for your reply...and also for the uplifting emails you've been sending me all week.  They really help.
You are an interesting combination...a Jewish Native American.  I've heard it said that the Native American's might be one of the 12 lost tribes of Israel, and if you look at the physical characteristics of the Native Americans and Jewish people. you will find that there is much in common, so maybe its true ........who knows.

Wanda...thanks for replying.  Yes I have been through a lot and it has given me some depth, but I would trade every bit of it to be shallow again because it really wasn't much fun.

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
19 posted 2002-03-17 06:18 PM

Sheri.....Thanks for your reply, and may your hair have many happy squirts of rain LOL.

Nancy...thanks for the reply and also for the hugs... I sincerely appreciate both of them and I'm glad that you too, love to walk in the wind and the sand.

SR...Your life sounds almost like a mirror image of mine.  I think there is something about growing up affluent that makes us understand how shallow that kind of life really is and how much more depth we need to add in order for life to be pure.  Unfortunately for me, this knowledge came at a very steep price. Thanks for replying

Keth...thanks so much for replying to my poem and also for the phone call.....all the way from the southern hemisphere....You need not bow to this princess because you are certainly her equal or even her superior.   hugggsss

Floria...thank you so much for saying such lovely things about my poem and about me.  I believe that you are right.  Aging somehow gives us insight that we didn't have in our youth.  I guess in that respect, its much better to be old.   hugggsss

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
20 posted 2002-03-17 06:27 PM

Lauren...thanks for your reply and also for the cute card.  I will try to come back here as often as I can.     hugggsss

Karilea...thanks for the bump...Many huggsss

Dave...thanks for replying,  next time I go shopping I will pick some stuff up for you.
How would you like a manicure and some Michigan pizza

Sy...thanks so much for your reply....and
I'm glad my ace is high with you
cuz we must do what we must do

Marsha...thanks for replying, my dear friend and for all of your caring thoughts, prayers and phone calls. hugggssss!

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
21 posted 2002-03-17 06:32 PM

Suthern...thanks for your reply and for the compliment....

Floria...thanks for your effusive second reply to this poem.  I don't think I can re-post it weekly though, because it might make people upset.  When I wrote it, I never imagined that so many other poets would really like it because it isn't really my best work, it just represents what was going through my head that day.  Thats often the way I used to write, but lately I've been spending more time polishing up my poems.  Thats why I think this one is rather raw....but at least its the truth.
thanks again so much...you are truly an angel   hugggsssss!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Jewish American Princess...my life story

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary