navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » A Question regarding Poetry Analysis Experiment
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Question regarding Poetry Analysis Experiment Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

0 posted 2004-09-29 09:12 PM

Are suggestions welcome?

M'self, I really don't (as of yet) have the confidence to try this myself, but could we (meaning me) suggest a topic/poem?

Does it have to be restricted to poems or can it also entail poetic devices of writing and forms?

I would hate to see this fall by the wayside...

© Copyright 2004 serenity blaze - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2004-09-29 09:18 PM

Um...

Yes...

Yes...

No... Yes...

Methinks...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2004-09-29 09:32 PM

Well, I was thinking it could be an educational continuation of workshop...

Such as say, a sonnet, with an offering of what might be considered to the poster of what encompesses the penultimate of the example, nodding, with the rules of which also added. Sort of an adjunct to the original idea of poetry analysis.

???

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2004-09-29 09:42 PM

Well, just read some of the monthly topics in Workshop.  You'll see that each one gives the definition, scheme, examples, rules, variances, and variables.  Most often seen thing is THEME THEME THEME.  I think Nanners has a fixation on  THEME.  
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2004-09-29 10:22 PM

Thematically speaking...
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2004-09-29 11:01 PM

Okay okay, let me figure out what the hell I'm talking about before I suggest it.

Themes are fine--I've had few m'self.

(Or wath I thweaming with a lipth?)

Sheesh.

I'll be back, with all due dementia.

(and more...)

sssh....sewenity's thweeping.

(nod...I was one of dem head banging babies)

Essorant
Member Elite
since 2002-08-10
Posts 4769
Regina, Saskatchewan; Canada
6 posted 2004-09-29 11:49 PM

Now bind us we
To answer thee
And all you will
brightly fullfill;
Hearing all thing
your questions sing,
warmly take task
and urge thee, ASK!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

7 posted 2004-09-30 04:22 AM

Okay...here's what I was thinking...

I truly love what's been going on with the analyzation of the classics, but if ya'll know me by now? I want more.

I think this would fit nicely in with the workshop area too. What's been going on here is fantastic and I've enjoyed immensely, but I'd also like to see bio links to the poet available, and just a little more structure detail added as well. Such as what form, and if there is any unusual variance of language, punctuation, and just general quirks of knowledge - I'd like to see that explored more as well, and if it is a particular form, I would love to see that outlined right upfront--with the poem as corresponding example. And finally followed up (in Nan's workshop) with our own meagerings as an attempt.

Smile.

I once told Ron, "give 'em a cookie and they'll ask for a glass of milk."

Me? Make it an oreo, (or two) and french vanilla ice cream and drizzle with some Bailey's...then feed it to me from a silver spoon.

With a champagne "float".

In a silver chalice.

hey---it could happen!

in my dreams

???

grin

And btw? I'm not against theme. But I would like to see a "WTF?" forum, for those who can't/won't analyze a poem, but would love to see the input from their friends that they have come to love and respect here at Pip, on their own particular favorites.

(And Ronnie Babe? Feel free to re-name that particular forum. WTF? was the first thing that came to MY mind. )

ciao

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
8 posted 2004-11-28 01:17 AM

Okay...

So, what ever became of this?...

It sounds like a great idea...
and I like the ideas for additional 'structure' and 'detail'...

but... from what I'm seeing... or NOT seeing... (unless I'm missing something)...
it doesn't appear that this ever became a reality...

How come?...

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
9 posted 2004-11-28 07:14 AM

I really enjoyed reading the analysis of the two poems, especially since it was the first time that I had read them it was a quite enlightening experience. I want more too

Andrew

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
10 posted 2004-11-28 10:23 AM

Then you might just have to read in the Classics section of netpoets, gather your thoughts on it, and put it in Feelings.  WAAAAY back when, in the Land of Two Forums, that's what Feelings was for: how a poem at netpoets made you FEEL.  The other forum, Discussion, was where one could dissect a poet's vision with inexpert tools.  Strange but true.

On second thought, seeing how the forums are in the now, thoughts and vivisections can be placed in a multitude of forums.  Lounge, Grok This (for those steamier pieces), Philosopy 101 (for comparing/contrasting Poets), Alley (if the thoughts are more anti-Poet, like my own views on e e cummings), or the perrenial favorite, Feelings.  Take back that forum from the whiners and hypersensitive! Viva la Revolution Poetica!

Alicat, still on that first cuppa coffee.

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
11 posted 2005-08-10 04:56 AM

"I once told Ron, "give 'em a cookie and they'll ask for a glass of milk."

Me? Make it an oreo, (or two) and french vanilla ice cream and drizzle with some Bailey's...then feed it to me from a silver spoon.

With a champagne "float".

In a silver chalice.

hey---it could happen!

in my dreams"

Just wondering... Did anyone take you up on this wish?? IF I lived nearby, you would have had it in a heartbeat..
lol, martyjo

[This message has been edited by latearrival (08-10-2005 06:29 AM).]

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
12 posted 2005-08-10 09:03 AM

"And btw? I'm not against theme. But I would like to see a forum for those who can't/won't analyze a poem, but would love to see the input from their friends that they have come to love and respect here at Pip, on their own particular favorites."

Oddly, I never saw this thread.

Is this being done and if so can someone take me by the hand and show me where to go?  link me please?

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

[This message has been edited by Ron (08-10-2005 11:07 AM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » A Question regarding Poetry Analysis Experiment

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary