navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » rhetoric rather than dialogue
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic rhetoric rather than dialogue Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia

0 posted 2004-03-30 12:42 PM

I am once again feeling depressed with the state of our nation, the endless rhetoric in the political arena rather than any meaningful dialogue. Has anyone seen/heard anything beyond rhetoric lately on the TV, in a newspaper, in real-time campaigning?
And what about the dialogue here in Pips? I would have posted this in a different forum, but some of the other forums require hours or days of time to read all the replies, and often seem to degenerate into spitting contests.
Am I just experiencing an overcast-day-mood? I'm having a bad hair day, too. LOL

© Copyright 2004 Kathleen Kacy Stafford - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2004-03-30 01:14 PM

I listen to NPR (National Public Radio) and the only non-rhetoric I hear is from those criticising the candidates or their supporters.

As for your bad hair day... get a 'high-n-tight'... no possibility of bad hair days that way!

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

2 posted 2004-03-30 01:58 PM

"and often seem to degenerate into spitting contests."
====================

yeah....just like the politicians and their campaigns.  

It used to seem like there were always some strong canidates, ones that stood out over the others and you felt like there was some chance that they would do what they said. Someone you felt proud to get behind and support. Maybe I'm just jaded now, by so many years of lies, manipulations, by both personal and party agendas..(by the politicians and the media)...
but now...it seems like the voting process is more of "pick your poison"

Something has definately been lost in the process.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2004-03-30 09:15 PM

Thanks, you two.
Christopher, what the heck is that? LOL, I just push it to the side and say to heck with it.

JM, I am a bit jaded too, but still gullible enough to listen....for a while anyway, until I gag. Think I'll write in Christopher's name on my ballot. ??? What
ballot? I'm registered in Colorado, living in Alaska, will probably end up in Oregon or Washington by November. LOL, but does it matter? I can always claim I didn't vote just to protest the weak ballot options.
LOL, thanks for letting me spit in here for a few minutes...it's too windy outside.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
4 posted 2004-03-30 09:34 PM

Well that's the main strategy of rhetoric and mud-slinging Kacey -- to turn the public off and get them to not pay attention -- it works too.  

Okay... I'll just tiptoe back over to the alley..

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2004-03-30 10:54 PM

HEY YOU! LOL, glad to see you around. I know, I know. *sigh* Howz about a Pipster passionate poet for President?
Not me, I'd be strung up so fast, too many 'hippie/liberal/do-gooder labels' have been attached to me. I can't balance my own budget, and couldn't stop the drug dealing and gang wars in my former hometown neighborhood in California. Guess I'd be a failure at the top dog job.
Enough said. Hey, thanks you for the visit!!!

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » rhetoric rather than dialogue

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary