navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Disillusioned.
Family Dialogue
Post A Reply Post New Topic Disillusioned. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking

0 posted 2003-04-09 05:24 PM

I've been thinking about submitting my poetry to a magazine for a while now, but up until now I haven't had the courage to get past the thinking stage, now I've actually found a couple of local magazines to submit to I find myself losing confidence in my work, especially my earlier material. So I'm wondering do I have what it takes to become a published poet (Please don't try and sugar coat it, I'm a big boy now after all ) and just so this thread isn't entirely about me what are your experience's with magazines and other publications?
© Copyright 2003 Andrew Sewell - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-04-09 06:25 PM

The only one who can tell you if you have what it takes is an Editor. And even they can only speak for that particular magazine at that particular time.

Publication is a lot like selling magazines or cookies door-to-door. Yea, you have to have a product that doesn't totally, completely suck. But beyond that, it's just a matter of playing the numbers. Pin all your hopes on one specific door, and you are sure to go home disappointed (and broke). Because no matter how much your product doesn't suck, it's not going to be right for everyone every day. Shoot, if you went from door to door selling five dollar bills for a buck, you'd still have people turn you down.

BUT, if your product is decent and you hit enough doors ....

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
2 posted 2003-04-10 11:09 AM

Ron is always the practical (and correct) one around here...

Statistical averages after all...

You may want to get the poems you are thinking of submitting, post them in the Critical Analysis forum and let the denizen's there put it through the wringer - may get some useful insight to punch up what is most likely a wonderful peice of work anyway.

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
3 posted 2003-04-10 11:34 AM

Whoops...

After I posted this post, I thought I should just go ahead and post them anyway so I've just done it, I sent 6 poems to a local magazine, but as for the advice, I'm sure to follow it. As for CA... I've never had a critical responce in there yet but maybe I should post there more often. Thanks for the advice though

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Family Dialogue » Disillusioned.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary