navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Said the Dying Era to the New Paradigm
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Said the Dying Era to the New Paradigm Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2004-01-10 02:47 AM

Someday I will be gone, my friend
and you will entertain another and go
the way I go, leaving him this message.
I brought you up, crumbled before you,
fell to your superior intellect and
your new ways and your new life.

I wrote for you so you wouldn't forget
me or how to tell your conquerers what
I'm telling you now, my young apprentice.
You may look down upon me, and satirize
my ideas, believe me I did that to my
own past eras and long-dead teachers.

It's okay to cry, it's okay to fall;
for this is the way we all must go.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

© Copyright 2004 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Philmont
since 2004-01-10
Posts 61

1 posted 2004-01-10 03:21 AM

Hey, nice to get out here and start posting with u, buddy.  Well, u said you wanted an honest critique, so I'll try and give you one.  But you have to promise to give me some insight too.  Deal?  Cool.

This poem definitely sounds like something you'd write.  It's ripe with wierd metaphors that people might not get at first.  That's not because we're stupid, but it's more because we're not as obsessed as you are with writing every single thing in this world in terms of metaphor .  What you've done, personifying the era, is a good idea, but it can be taken a little too far.  

You sort of contradict yourself in a way.  First the new era is something almost reared by the previous one.  But then, in the second stanza, it goes in two completely different directions.  The old era is both a teacher to the new one(I mean, why else would it "call" the new one an apprentice) and a force conquered by it.  It's an interesting paradox and I think you could expand on it a little more.

The ending is a little weak.  It sounds too cliche.  You should bolster it a little more.  Hey, you could even throw in a little about just what you're talking about in the previous two stanzas!  If "this is the way we all must go" why don't you talk about that way?  Is it a military way, or is it a pedagogical one?  Or is it both?  

Sorry if I was a little harsh on you there, man.  It's a good poem!

Philmont

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
2 posted 2004-06-07 05:52 PM

Personally I like the ending, nor do I find it weak. Great Writing

Andrew

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Said the Dying Era to the New Paradigm

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary