navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Shedding the Velvet
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Shedding the Velvet Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2003-07-04 09:51 PM

***NOTE: I wanted to tell you where I got the inspiration for this. I was watching a Discovery Channel show on the mating habits of the moose (bored?). The bull moose rubs his antlers against trees and rubs off the 'velvet'. He eats most of it until there is nothing left. This is all in preparation for the mating season. After the velvet is shed, he and other males 'fight' using the newly shorn antlers. Cool huh?

Shedding the Velvet

Prepare for the melee
This battle of poetic wit
Take your shot, take a chance
Now is not the time to sit

My choice of weapons?
The truth is what I choose
Tis the only weapon
With which I shall not lose

I shall not waver in this cause
But stand up to this adversity
Nefarious schemes hold no sway
This battle is for integrity  

Hide in the coward shadows
For the light is your enemy
The truth is here in the open
Of that I’ll guarantee

I’ll shed the velvet
Harden for winter’s fight
Behind me stands the symbol
Of everything that’s right.

© Copyright 2003 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-07-04 10:11 PM

(I am now trying to picture a "moose" world, where they are watching humans on the Discovery Channel--and unveiled, are the mating preparation rites of serenity! giggles and gasp?)

and you, this has the stoic courage of Braveheart's cry of "FREEDOM"--strength and integrity are apparent m'lady.

Write on.

I've got yer back.

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
2 posted 2003-07-05 10:07 PM

Very interesting write...  I learned something new today so very very cool.

"Tourists are terrorists with cameras. Terrorists are tourists with guns."~Anon.

brian sites
since 2002-06-25
Posts 1475
usa
3 posted 2003-07-06 11:32 AM

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dig them heels in

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

4 posted 2003-07-06 12:11 PM

If I didn't know better I'd say you were starting to join on the Local Parasite Bandwagon of combining natural imagery with human experience.  This was a really cool poem.  Thanks for clarifying it with your little introduction.

2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2
--Smit
My Creations

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2003-07-06 03:37 PM

Ah, Sharon. I liked this a lot. Be it mind or brawn ... armed with the truth, or with newly shorn antlers ... the survival of the fittest prevails.

Very much enjoyed the metaphor and the images this brought to mind.

Best wishes,
/Kit

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2003-07-07 11:31 PM

Me too the metaphors that you brought into this one were just great (I liked it cause Bullwinkle is from Canada ya know right?"  They forgot to mention that the moose look horrible during the shedding process and they are not happy campers so do NOT ask them what they are doing when they are doing it okay?  Speaking of Moose there is Moosehead beer - it's great for hot and muggy days   I loved this one Sharon.
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
7 posted 2003-07-13 03:12 PM

I have my own bandwagon?  Haha... awesome!!  

Well, Sharon, I gotta say this is one of the best I've read from you.  I love that kind of inspiration--learning something new and fascinating about the natural world and using it to parallel some human thought or experience, as you've done.  It's a great way to get the muse in gear... isn't it?

I disagree with the message of your poem, however... truth isn't something that should be wielded as a weapon, because the very nature of truth itself is volatile and unstable, and not to be trusted as a "weapon."  It could very well turn out to be your opponent's weapon after all.  There should be no battle, only co-operation with a common goal in mind.  Truth is a goal, not a means...

Just my humble opinion though... nonetheless, awesome poetry PdV... I very much enjoyed.

Parasite

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
8 posted 2003-07-14 09:15 AM

Love this Sharon,

And not just because I preach from that pulpit, or because I understand the need to say this.

But because I'd NEVER have thought to pick the bullmoose analogy

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
9 posted 2003-07-14 12:15 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments. When the muse is on vacation we find inspiration in so many things. Being a watcher of human nature and nature itself, I am always looking for something to give me that spark. I've always prided myself on finding the unobvious way of twisting a phrase around to make a point in a poem.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Shedding the Velvet

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary