navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Desperate Men in Desperate Times
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Desperate Men in Desperate Times Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2003-02-09 03:58 PM

Give me this if anything;
I have no education,
no self esteem,
no respect.

I can do this, I don't
need your stupid
friends to
help me.

So go to hell and weep
in the corner of
a cave in
his pits.

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2003 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
1 posted 2003-02-10 11:05 AM

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this.  Are you trying to say that, in times of crisis, the self is the only thing on which one can, or will, rely?  It's curious that the person claims to have no self-esteem or respect, but still has to say, "I don't need your stupid friends to help me."  That's like saying, I have no self-esteem, but I am capable of taking care of myself.

I have noticed this system of belief particularly in depressed people I know.  It's cyclic and it drags them down.  I see how it could apply in "desparate times."

I'm still not sure if this is what you're aiming at with this piece, for all I know it could be a personal vent... but I trust you to correct me if I'm wrong.  Thanks for sharing this with us, Frac.  

Parasite

"Faith" means the will to avoid knowing what is true.
~ Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2003-02-10 09:38 PM

LP:

This is indeed the sort of thing expressed in depressed people.  It is a monologue by a person who has low self esteem and so believes that he must prove himself to others.  That is why he militantly reacts against those who try to help him.  He believes that their offers for help are actually blows against him that imply he is incapable of doing anything himself.

It was a bit of a personal rant against someone I know who has a rather low self esteem.  I do not wish to disclose who that person is.  That would lower his self esteem.  Only be sure that he is a member of 50% of the population of earth give or take a percentage point or two...

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Desperate Men in Desperate Times

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary