navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Untitled
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Untitled Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI

0 posted 2003-01-04 12:11 PM

Thanks to LP for the semi-inspirations of "lemonade" and "another bath"(though I couln't help changing it).

my greek-maiden lover unclothed in the tub
pretending to sip from a chocolate-hot mug
is reading by peppermint
jane eyre and motherhood
barren like me when i once was a girl

her lemonade lipstick transformed me to lie
it frosted like dreamers on blueshifting nights
calling us longingly
desperately lovingly
fingers and necks flying none as before

i am alone and was always alone
she is beside me, within me, alive
some days i fight her
some i incite her
pour me another one, hot as before

© Copyright 2003 Carly Anne Van Dort - All Rights Reserved
knightlyshadows
since 2001-04-14
Posts 791
obscured vision
1 posted 2003-01-04 01:12 PM

carly anne, carly anne. your work always gives such lovely tingles, did you know? we already know each other's interpretation of this piece, but this deserves a reply. yesh, it does.
i'm still in love with the blueshift.. *swoon* and this.. this i loved:

"it frosted like dreamers on blueshifting"

"she is beside me, within me, alive"
there's never anything wrong with just you dear. great write, and hope to see more.

“A single choice can build destinies, or destroy them.”

..You can't fight the tears that aren't coming..

fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

2 posted 2003-01-04 08:34 PM

Nice poem.  I like your intense use of what appear to be symbols.  Your meter is excellent, but I have some trouble with the line "pretending to sip from a chocolate-hot mug."  It does not seem that reversing the words hot and chocolate will do anything detrimental to the meter here.  

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
3 posted 2003-01-05 04:41 PM

Carly!!  You've done it!  Dactylic meter, and beautifully done too... so beautifully done, in fact, that I had to read this a few times just so I didn't lose myself in the flow.  

Now I think I've gotten it... it's a poem about vanity and desire, and how it "transforms" you towards the undesirable.  You've drawn a picture of a haughty, self-righteous woman soaking in a bath and pretending she's royalty, "pretending to sip" and "reading by peppermint" - all in the name of image and luxury that isn't true, but seems true.

You know your poetry doesn't just blow me away... it knocks me down and kicks me in the ribs a few times, and then I run away.

Brian

It's amazing the effect ice can have on the world.
~Allysa

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

4 posted 2003-01-05 08:54 PM

Hidy Hidy!

Hmm... I like this style. What is it? It's really interesting. This is an interesting piece overall. I'm glad Brian came in and explained it for dumb people like me, even though I was thinking along the same lines before I read his reply.

Great symbolism!

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.--Jesus Christ

quietlydying
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-06-10
Posts 935
the wonderful land of oz
5 posted 2003-01-05 09:38 PM

wow.  simply wow.

i envy your skill and grace.  you simply amaze me.  what more can i say?  

i'm still rather speechless from reading this.  i'll need to read it a few more times.

but until then, wow.

/jen/

'i don't care if it hurts, i want to have control.  i want a perfect body, i want a perfect soul.'  [radiohead]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Untitled

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary