navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Gray rain
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gray rain Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

0 posted 2002-12-06 07:04 PM

Breathing with the rainy waves,
apart in a cloud.

Refreshed without comfort.
Thunder was too loud.

“Eat your crust and crumbs,” she'd said.
Rain-softened and stale.

"Everything’s the surface."
Water hit the pail.

She'd said beauty lies --
never will lie deep.

He'd said he would think on that
as he fell asleep.

Color drained the sky.
Corner feigned a why.

He awoke and she slept on.
Nothing to reply.

© Copyright 2002 MPC - All Rights Reserved
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

1 posted 2002-12-06 07:07 PM

well mikey... you have done it again. nice images and a dialog that plays into them...
all juxtaposed on a inverted reality that makes the reader appreciate just how little they see of the world around them...

enjoyed my friend.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

2 posted 2002-12-06 07:08 PM

Thank you, Ron. This is actually a much older poem, that is so awful, that is all I will say about it. This is much more measured and calm, and still a bit melancholy. And maybe a bit humorous?

Mikey

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

3 posted 2002-12-06 07:12 PM

not awful at all... it is in fact rather interesting in its melancholy feel and in the images you use. It is much more "traditonal" in the use of word and phrase than you do now, but not in any way awful...

sometimes the older ones are good for us to revisit... lets us see what we have forgotten about writing... some we should forget, other parts of it we should view and see as a way to improve what we do today.

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

4 posted 2002-12-06 07:27 PM

Oops, my mistake. I meant to say, this is based on an older poem that is so awful, etc.

Yay, the weekend is upon us!

Mikey

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

5 posted 2002-12-06 07:29 PM

weekend smeekend.... ( bah humbug... )

have to be on call and monitor progress of problem servers we have and a project I am working on... so it will be on and offline for me most of the weekend if I don't end up back in the office. Hope  yours is good though!

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2002-12-06 08:06 PM

Mike

Some really good lines in this

"She'd said beauty lies --
never will lie deep."

and

"He awoke and she slept on.
Nothing to reply."  When I first read this, I read it without the period and that made it even more interesting.

Enjoyed!

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
7 posted 2002-12-06 09:30 PM

This is really interesting.  Again with the watery imagery, Mike... you sure have a thing for that, don't you?

I found myself in love with the almost-dialogue that you make in this poem between the he and the she.  Made me think of a couple laying in bed at night before going to sleep, and just talking about nothing in particular in the meantime.  Especially how it was all he'd said, she'd said.... rather than he said, she said.  Made it seem more reflective.  At the end, he awoke... not he'd awoke.  

Divides the ending away from the rest.  I just love the ending, it's so appropriate... some kind of vague interaction between people is shown, amongst all the images of rain.  And the poem ends when one of them runs out of something to say.

Real neat.  You saved it from awful.  

Parasite

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
~Aldous Huxley

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

8 posted 2002-12-09 12:10 PM

Thanks, everyone.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Gray rain

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary