navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Television
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Television Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand

0 posted 2001-11-19 02:16 AM

Television

Ten o’clock at night
alone in the house of her parents…
Footsteps… breathing!
White knuckles squeeze grey
as she shrinks in her chair,
afraid to check the locks.
Heh, my English teacher didn't understand the connection between the title and the poem.. is he just dopey, or is it really that unclear..??
-Lynne

It's nice to share - kiss someone when you have a cold.

© Copyright 2001 Lynne Miura, née Chudley - All Rights Reserved
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
1 posted 2001-12-18 02:52 AM

the personna was watching a horror show on tv?

good to see your stuff, Lynne

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2001-12-18 09:29 AM

I got it!!  
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

3 posted 2001-12-18 11:37 AM

Smiling..this reminded me of something. During Hurricane Andrew, I lost power in my home. I turned on the radio to hear an interview with a man who had also lost power and was talking to a radio journalist. When asked what he was doing at that moment, I had to laugh at his reply that he was sitting in his hallway reading "The Exorcist" by candlelight. Grin, now how masochistic is THAT?

Enjoyed your poem, Yu Lan. Good to see you here!

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
4 posted 2001-12-18 04:25 PM

It's as clear as it need be... you are a wiz with titles, Yu.     I always love your titles!

This poem's simple, and that's fine... there wasn't a lot of advanced technique present.  But I understand and appreciate that it's the simplicity of the poem, combined with that of the title, that gives the desired effect.  I could take this entire poem symbolically, couldn't I...?     What we see in what wins our attention seeps into the background, to the point where we are deluded.  Some fantasy that we enact or experience, or in the case of television, observe, might become so distinct to us that we associate it to our surroundings... we make real the things of fiction.

Television is a great title for this poem, because it's the example being explored.  It also puts the appropriate scene into the reader's mind when they begin the poem.  I pictured a girl sitting there over her buttered popcorn, staring into the television nervously.

Great work, Yu... I'm glad to be reading from you again...

Lots of love,
~Allan

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
5 posted 2001-12-18 11:42 PM

Woops, I just ran my message onto the end of the poem, that was brilliant..

Faterider.. um, not quite.. it is more like the others said, like that because she has watched television so often, and seen horrible things happening to people in their own homes, in the dark, alone, she is scared, relating it to her own situation. ^_^

Thank you all heapsly.

love and Christmas wishes, -Lynne

jamesjiao
since 2000-04-12
Posts 268
Backwaters of Avalon
6 posted 2002-01-05 08:30 AM

Wow, not bad. Dont see you making an appearance in this forum often now, Yu. Cg.

- James
The beauty of nature is displayed,
not through itself,
but through the creatures
dwelling within its bosom.

Yu Lan
since 2000-04-13
Posts 1462
New Zealand
7 posted 2002-01-05 04:49 PM

Thanks James..
I know.. I don't get much chance to come here as often now.. heh, feel kinda on the sidelines now 'coz I haven't been here for so long! ^_^

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Television

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary