navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » He Said He Loved Me
Open Poetry #18
Post A Reply Post New Topic He Said He Loved Me Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace

0 posted 2002-01-28 11:04 AM

He Said He Loved Me

he said
he loved me
and hit me
square across the face
tears fell
to cool the burn
where his touch
had been placed
I just sat
there frozen
holding my pain
in disbelief
the sorry
he said
thawed from me
no relief
then
the promises came
it would happen
no more
but they were just words
I had heard
them before
so I quit
asking questions
of where, who
and why
my life  
was none of my business
and just
made me cry
and the result
would always
be the same
it was all
my fault
I was never the love
just the blame

"I have already paid for all my future sins."  Sade...(King of Sorrow)

© Copyright 2002 Helen Chambers - All Rights Reserved
Zinsser
since 2001-02-27
Posts 1641
Calif.
1 posted 2002-01-28 11:50 AM

very well written... can mean diff things
Domestic Violence... Hit in the face with Shocking realities.... on and on
yes... always the blame
very well written

nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2002-01-28 12:00 PM

a strong poem...

I use to think I wanted to hear those words.."I love you"..now I just want to feel loved not hear it.

M

N orth Carolina Girl
since 2001-12-04
Posts 962
NC,USA
3 posted 2002-01-28 12:33 PM

slicklady,this was so sad but it happens so much.Very well written!

Juanita

"always have a smile on your face it makes people wonder what you`re up to:

RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
4 posted 2002-01-28 12:37 PM

Oh my this is sad! A man should NEVER hit a woman. I see men abuse their wives and they wives stay and put up with it because they are too scared to take a stand. nice write.

RP

Canuckster
since 2002-01-09
Posts 285
New Mexico, USA
5 posted 2002-01-28 02:16 PM

domestic abuse sucks and your poem illustrates the cycle all too well.

Writing about it helps to free those held in the bond, reading about it alerts others to it's dangers.

Whether this is your voice, or one assumed for poem's sake, thank you for writing about this.

Good job.

never try to teach a pig to sing
it wastes your time AND annoys the pig

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2002-01-28 03:20 PM

Helen, I used to feel like I shouldn't write about the darkness as much as I do. But I think it's important to share those stories as well, there may well be someone who reads and doesn't feel so all alone. Well done, and thank you for being brave enough to share so publicly what many wrongly believe is a private disgrace. Great job with this.
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2002-01-28 04:46 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Helen, I agree with Joanna so so much; a man should never hit a woman, a woman should always be treated with respect and loved with heart and not just by words, and a woman should always have the right to defend herself in these upheavals of shame! (wipes tears) Oh Helen, this is so sad, my heart goes out to you and I hope now you have found love that can feel for you and love you sincerely! (kiss on cheek) We all love you so much, God Bless You! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Helen, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

8 posted 2002-01-28 06:30 PM

A poem like this takes courage to write, whether it's personal or just empathy. I have zero tolerance for a man who hits a woman.   This one touched me deeply.

Kathleen--(Kay)
A true friend does not love you for who you are, but in spite of who you are." -- Caroline Tran

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
9 posted 2002-01-28 07:34 PM

*sigh* this is a poem the my heart feels very deeply....My heart goes out to you, dear one...**big big hugs** If violence is being used that is not love by anyones standards...

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Oz
since 2002-01-18
Posts 13
South Carolina
10 posted 2002-01-28 07:39 PM

Very few poems affect me, and I mean VERY few get to me. Your poem has struck a nerve with me that causes rage to build inside. Each time I read it I want to find a womanbeater and destroy him.
Silver Streak
Member Elite
since 2002-01-02
Posts 3625
FL, USA
11 posted 2002-01-28 07:55 PM

There is never, ever any excuse to slap/ abuse any woman, or child, never! ever!, Period!!!

When a man is mad and slaps a women, or a child, and when he says that she or the child is to blame, he is looking in the mirror and can't stand his own ugliness.

My heart bleeds as I believe in Love. But my love for the woman or child would seek strong protection to ensure that such and event would never ever be repeated. And I would also pray for the man.  

God be with you and protect you.
-newell  

Sharing God's Love through perfectlovepoetry.com

Copyright: 2002 Newell Elsworth Usher

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
12 posted 2002-01-28 07:57 PM

Last time I checked I believe love was associated with caring and appreciation and admiration...hitting someone does not fit into any of those categories...
the words and the actions have to fit together...I know that I am only stating the obvious...James

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
13 posted 2002-01-28 08:02 PM

Wow, Helen, this is very well said!  This is very powerful and moving, I have known many women who have suffered this as well.  Love should never hurt.  

I truly hope that this is not based on personal experience ~ you deserve to be happy. If it is, I hope you find healing in writing and the strength to find yourself a man who will treat you like the queen you are!

Take care,
Melissa~

"Poetry is not an opinion expressed...
it is a song that rises from a bleeding
wound...or a smiling mouth"

~Kahlil Gibran~

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
14 posted 2002-01-29 01:11 AM

Helen - what powerful words you write. I believe that they are the ones to blame. Sometimes they don't really know what the word love means. I read this and was touched, but saddened at your sadness in this write... As always, very well written and said...

BC

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » He Said He Loved Me

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary