navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » Winter
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic Winter Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2001-12-15 05:01 PM

Winter

by Michael

In icy pause of winter's chill
the cold and drafty night tries creep
and dusts his lonely thoughts with frost.
Into his soul it tries to seep.

The air no longer carries scent
of flowers blooming in the spring.
The butterflies don't pollinate
and morning birds no longer sing

For winter is a taste of death,
with so few colors there to see,
a graveyard that does never end.
A tombstone, is each barren tree.

And so, by fireplace does he sit.
His face, a blush of amber light.
He puts a log on crackling fire,
thinks of a poem that he may write.

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

© Copyright 2001 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2001-12-15 05:07 PM

BRAVO!!! (big hugggssssss) Oh my gosh, I used to feel this exact same way, dearest Michael, I always used to feel depressed because everything seemed dead to me in the winter, but now over these years, I always see winter as a time of loving peace and giving and sharing and crystal beauty! (sigh) Soooooo beautiful, sweet Michael, your words are always incredibly beautiful! (big hugggsssss) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Michael, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
2 posted 2001-12-15 05:17 PM

Noah,

Thank you for the wonderful comments.    This poem is about how I perceived winter when I lived three hundred miles north of here.  Being at the coast now, winter is much different.  Almost all of the trees keep there leaves and are green.  The salt marsh turns a little gray, but sea birds are still everywhere to be seen and hey, it's 76 degrees right now. LOL!  Thanks, my friend.

Michael

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
3 posted 2001-12-15 06:09 PM

WOW!!!I love the way you saw winter...it looks so cold and dead outside sometimes but then it bring to mind a lovely fire and cuddling in the arms of the one you love...I saw the beauty too as I read this poem filled with life. BRAVO!!!**hugs**

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
4 posted 2001-12-15 06:17 PM

Did you say 76 degrees!!!?  Leaves still on the trees?  Gee...Wow!
Oh yes Michael, I loved the poem, especially the last stanza.  
Great imagery here!  
Hugs, Nancy.  

"A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

thepoeticplumber
since 2001-05-15
Posts 185

5 posted 2001-12-15 06:40 PM

Winter is very depressing for so many.  Nothing grows and the days are so much shorter. I mean the nights are so much longer.  Whatever!!  On the other hand.  As you noted.  A poet can certainly use this useful time to write.  Well, well written.  Roger

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
6 posted 2001-12-15 06:52 PM

Ys, this is what it feels like here in New Hampshire, too. Aren't you glad you moved???
Very nice write, Michael.
Sandra

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
7 posted 2001-12-15 07:12 PM

You are painting scenes again..in my heart. My mind feels like a canvas when you write. Love and Hugs.

Sincerely,
Regina

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
8 posted 2001-12-15 07:13 PM

Michael--You have painted the atmosphere of winter in someplace I never lived in, don't think I want to either.  Well done, my friend in front of crackling fire. (75 degrees...wow!)
Auguste
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
9 posted 2001-12-16 02:47 PM

Everyone, thank you for your kindness, your friendship and the joy you so unselfishly give.  

Michael

Michael Auguste~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » Winter

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary