navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » What Determines True Beauty?
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Determines True Beauty? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Robert William Gruhn
since 2001-11-06
Posts 168
California, USA

0 posted 2001-12-05 05:55 PM

What determines true beauty?:

Does it flow from one's pen,

From a mind's thoughts you cannot see,

Is it decided by a majority, or only one and when,

One man sees pretty while another perceives ugly,

Why do so many see Miss Universe as gorgeous, then turn up nose to plain Jane,

One woman sees a handsome man and the next sees homely,

Does anyone see the harm inflicted through ridicule's pain,

For love is truly blind to society's prejudices,

A superficial world does not further the cause of humanity,

Accepting everyone as brother and sister will surely free us from life's malices,

Below skin's surface lies the true beauty of our identity.

© Copyright 2001 Robert William Gruhn - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2001-12-05 05:58 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Robert, your words speak so true, true beauty always whispers in the heart. (sad sigh) If we can only not look just at the pulchiritude of outer beauty but concentrate on the love and affection within our hearts, the world can be a much more beautiful and harmonious place! (sigh) My prayers are with yours, sweet brother! (big hugggsssss) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet brother, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Hypnosis
since 2001-12-02
Posts 325
CO
2 posted 2001-12-05 06:00 PM

i also believe that true beauty lies beneath the skin.  True beauty is ones personality, and thoughts, sometimes they are compatible with ones own, and sometimes not.  Love has evolved over thousands of years, into something judged by physical beauty.  Things have changed.

Randy Meador

a life lived unexplored is a life not worth living.

Mon Cherie
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-31
Posts 922
Land of Never-ending Summers
3 posted 2001-12-05 06:13 PM

Oh bravo Robert!!   I'm one that society calls plain Jane... or make it, fat Jane...   So, I think true beauty isn't skin deep. It's determined by someone's character. A loving heart, a warm smile, an understanding mind. Someone who makes you feel warm over just talking to him.

I know that, but the others don't seem to know it  

_,,,^.^,,,_
Florence

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
4 posted 2001-12-05 06:21 PM

I think beauty is within the heart...You have a true heart of beauty that you can see that within us all is what the heart should see. mmmmmm *grin* I have always wondered what my knight looks like but have always believed he is very handsome as his words speak from a heart that makes him that no matter what the outside shell looks like. **hugs**

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

5 posted 2001-12-05 06:24 PM

yes, it is in the heart...to me?
It is summed up in one word..kindness.

Kathleen (Kay)
"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass, and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
6 posted 2001-12-05 08:11 PM

To look past the surface is to find the true beauty. Diamonds are buried amid the coal. Pearls are hidden within the shell. And all that sparkles is not gold, too bad so many can't see that. Good write, enjoyed.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » What Determines True Beauty?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary