navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Neglecting the Hero's. (Written for Rememberance Day).
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic Neglecting the Hero's. (Written for Rememberance Day). Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.

0 posted 2001-11-11 01:04 AM

Neglecting the Hero's.

He sits in his chair,
near the patio door.
Smelling of urine and age.
He stares through vacant,
mist eyed dementia.
Enclosed in his senile cage.
No longer able to express,
the amazing things he's seen.
To show the scars,
of two world wars,
what he's done and where he's been.
Only the medals upon his chest,
remain to tell the tale,
of bravery beyond the call,
heroism off the scale.
Now he sits in his wing backed chair
and dribbles down his chin.
His medals the only outward sign,
of the great man he has been.
Carers pay him little respect,
though they meet his every need.
Believing its their duty done,
to clean and change and feed
but if only they could see behind
and glimps the inner core.
Feel the things that he has felt,
see the things he saw.
Then maybe they would take the time,
to gently stroke his head.
Or spare some words of comfort,
for this man they've washed and fed.
To share some of their thoughts with him,
for though he can't reply.
I'm sure that he is listening,
as he sits and waits to die.
So spare a thought for this unknown hero,
in his chair in the old folks home.
Surrounded by carers, yet inside his mind,
he sits and weeps ...... alone.

by Ven.

© Copyright 2001 Lorraine Voss - All Rights Reserved
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
1 posted 2001-11-11 07:39 AM

I can recall seeing my Grandfather in this way in a nursing home his last few days..and unless they have cleaned up their act and take better care of those who went  before us, I won't ever have a parent of mine reside in one...sorry the image  was very strong...he was  still of his right mind, but a stroke took away his communication skills and to see any human treated this way is one too many. Good write although  sad

~Wynter

"For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart.
It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul."
(J.Garland)

Rex Allen McCoy
Member Elite
since 2000-01-30
Posts 2863
Sippin a Timmy's in London
2 posted 2001-11-11 09:47 AM

So sadly true ...

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
3 posted 2001-11-11 10:53 AM

You have truly shared with us the heart of the way it is for so many hero's who sit long forgotten. I wept as I read this poem. It should be published so that everyone can be touched by these words and maybe their heart will reach out a little more to the heros who paid dearly for the freedom we have today. Very well done. Thank you, so much, for sharing it with us today.

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
4 posted 2001-11-11 11:13 AM

Thankyou so much.
I'm touched that you experienced as strong an emotion from reading this as I did from writing it.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2001-11-11 01:03 PM

You are right. We should never neglect the heros of yesterday, today, or tomorrow.
All human beings deserve respect, irregardless of hero status.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2001-11-11 01:09 PM

Very powerfully written. I know President Bush has asked for civilian volunteers to help out at home during this crisis. I would like to see more people visiting nursing homes and spending time with our older generation.  
Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
7 posted 2001-11-11 02:17 PM

I agree, and if each of us could put just a little more in that we take out, the world would be a much better place.
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
8 posted 2001-11-11 04:15 PM

The other day, I bought a poppy from a WW II veteran and when he started to thank me, I said "No, sir... thank YOU." Such a simple sentence... but it brought tears to his eyes... making it obvious that thanks are given too seldom.

Great poem, Ven... great reminder.

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
9 posted 2001-11-11 05:29 PM

Ven,

Oh how this hits me. It reminds me of a resident where I worked.. he has now passed on. His name was Lee.  He was in the army, made it his career.  He had dementia, but he would still talk... every now and then, in tibits, about the army days.  People didn't listen, they didn't care.  I tried to take the time to give him the respect he earned thoughout his life. I wish others would have too.

I'm going to print this out and take a copy to work. Show the nurses and the Aides.. maybe they will take the time...

Thank you so much for sharing this.. you touched more than I can say.

Hugs to you,
Tara

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
10 posted 2001-11-11 06:07 PM

I think that under the circumstances it is more apt for me to be thanking you, for if in taking this to work you can open the eyes of just one person and teach them to take the time to listen then that makes me more happy than you could ever imagine.
You've made my day  
Thankyou.
My respect to you,
Ven.

[This message has been edited by Ven (edited 11-11-2001).]

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
11 posted 2001-11-13 01:10 AM

I am adding this to my library..and giving it a boost   I think more people should read this.

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
12 posted 2001-11-13 02:45 AM

Thankyou, I'm glad you enjoyed it and even more pleased that it made you think.I have spent many hours in the last few days, perusing the forums and reading the touching poetic tributes to the people that most of us spare a thought for just one day out of every three hundred and sixty five.
Well thought out, cleverly expressed words that have made me stop and think that although those of us who have never seen, never been, cannot begin to imagine the horrors that our war veterans experienced to secure the freedom that we all enjoy, I for one will consider that the next person that I give my seat up to on a bus, or just smile and say a passing good morning to could well be a hero to whome I owe so much.
I think the overwhelming message of the day is:
"Treat each passing stranger with respect". For you know not who they are, what they have done or what sacfirices they may have made for the greater good of us all.
If a poem can change just one person for the better, by provoking thought, which is subseqently followed by possitive action, then it is surely true that the pen is indeed mightier than the sword.
So keep on writing, lest we forget.
With respect to you all. Not just on this day but every day.

Ven.

kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
13 posted 2001-11-13 12:26 PM

you leave more than good intentions behind, Ven..

and may i give you a little boost to help you spread your message??

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Neglecting the Hero's. (Written for Rememberance Day).

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary