navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Ventriloquizing Despair
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ventriloquizing Despair Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2001-11-02 08:46 AM

Ventriloquizing Despair
By: Noah Eaton
3/3/01

Down in the cold dusty basement I would sit
Verrucosed in agony, pricking me down to the bone
Endlessly trying to live my last few days with a thankful visit
Already wrapping up my own words of farewell before I pay myself to the reaper, far down beneath my home

Reaching into a partially-opened cardboard box, I pulled out an old ragdoll with cotton breaking out of it’s neck, wearing blue hair, red button eyes, a yellow dress, a dress all so rusty
Tucking it in my fingers, I go ventriloquizing depression, passing the countdown of my days away chattering thoughts of nonsense
I learned to have a friendly conversation with this acquaintance, I decided to name her Snowy
Holding it close, I shouted out all my frustration and depression to her, waiting to hear what her plushy heart presents

We’d perform sing-alongs together, making up the blues as we went along
Nothing now could possibly stop me from fading away, to change my mind
At least I had something to keep me company for the time being, so I wouldn’t be alone for the torture that I prolonged
Aside from something that could wish me good luck right before I die

Inside from dismal gray April and Mays skies, I would fall asleep with Snowy tucked under my arm
From my nightmares I would rise and scare myself to sleep again, balanced between life and death in knavery
Stabbed by a palindrome of anguish carving me up like a T-bone steak on a butchers farm
And all I wanted was one last day where the sun and moon is all I could see

A few weeks drove right by me, and I tossed and carried Snowy the doll around
When at one sudden moment, her head fell loose, she died before my eyes, and I burst into uncontrollable tears
Laying before me helpless on the cold concrete floor, I fell to the ground, holding her pieces in my arms under my chests wailing like an ownerless hound
Losing my only friend, losing one and all that calmed my fears

I buried her grave down in the box in which she came from
Attaching her head together in strands of Scotch tape I found in the kitchen
Alone I sat, awaiting what death may come, which had never come
My loneliness continued, sitting in the dusty shadows in my tears...

Without a friend...
A friendless heart...

© Copyright 2001 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
1 posted 2001-11-02 09:29 AM

Noah, WOW, this is so good..I know for sure you are not friendless, so if this was you, thankfully it is better now. What a story you portrayed here.
Sandra

The Rusty Knight
since 2001-08-29
Posts 414
Texas
2 posted 2001-11-02 09:34 AM

WOW Noah,

You got deep and dark with this one.  I was glad to see the date as March....I felt the pain in the poem and was glad to see the time seperation between now and then.  It is hard to comment on poems that put you in the middle of pain such as this one.  But that shows how good the poem is.  Poems are about stirring emotions and this one does it well.  Take Care  Dan

Death comes not when we cease to breathe, but when we cease to dream.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Ventriloquizing Despair

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary