navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » only the beginning - for Dia de los Muertos
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic only the beginning - for Dia de los Muertos Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA

0 posted 2001-10-31 03:52 PM

today honored souls of the departed, we come to you with open hearts
we come and we remember that even though you are gone from this plane
that you exist still on that other plane where life and death have no meaning
and that today, you return to tell and to share with us what you have learned

we have learned from you that life is a dream that we will awaken from at death
and that only then we will attain the full knowledge that you have gathered
and we will become as you have become, creatures of the spirit of life
people who have returned to us this night to speak to us, we who are lost and alone

and so, we come to your gathering place with food and with drink in hand
we come as family, to honor you in death as we honored you in life
with love, respect, and the knowledge that you would always be with us
that not even the bonds of death would separate you from this circle

we celebrate your life in song, story and word, we remember who you were
we remember the things that you taught us in this life to prepare us for the next
we feel the touch of your sprit upon our hearts this night of your walking
and we are reminded that we are only here but for a scant moment

and that death is only the beginning

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hoy honrar alma salir, nosotros venir usted con abierto corazón
nosotros venir y nosotros recordar ése aunque usted ser ir este plano
que usted existir aún en ese otro plano donde vida y muerte tener ninguno significado
y que hoy, usted volver para decir y para compartir con nosotros qué usted tener aprender

nosotros tener aprender usted que vida ser uno sueño que nosotros despertar en muerte
y que solamente entonces nosotros lograr completo conocimiento
que usted tener recolectar y nosotros convertir a medida que usted tener convertir, criatura alcohol vida
gente quien tener volver nosotros este noche para hablar nosotros, nosotros quien ser perder y solamente

y por eso, venimos a su lugar de acopio con el alimento y con la bebida
a disposición venimos como la familia, honrarle en muerte mientras que le honramos en vida
con el amante, respecto, y el conocimiento que usted estaría siempre
con nosotros que no igualan los enlaces de la muerte le separaría de este círculo

nosotros celebrar su vida en canción, historia y palabra, nosotros recordar quién usted ser
nosotros recordar cosa que usted enseñar nosotros en este vida para preparar nosotros
para siguiente nosotros sentir tacto su sprit sobre nuestro corazón este noche su recorrer
y nosotros ser recordar que nosotros ser solamente aquí pero para uno escaso momento

y esa muerte es solamente el principio

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: For more about Dia de los Muertos, go here: Dia de los Muertos

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

© Copyright 2001 John Garcia - All Rights Reserved
Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
1 posted 2001-10-31 03:57 PM

Bravo Sven!!  Very well said, in both languages!  Very much enjoyed here...on this eve.  ~Nancy Lee~

~Time has cast a spell on you,
So that you won't ever forget me.~

Interloper
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
2 posted 2001-10-31 03:58 PM

Manana es la noche de muerto!

Fool, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

ParisGrl
since 2000-06-01
Posts 610

3 posted 2001-10-31 03:59 PM

John,

I loved it.  I remember learning about this in Spanish class in High School.

~Laura~

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
4 posted 2001-10-31 04:59 PM

Sven,
THis is an absolutely marvelous piece
You have written in words many of my beliefs and this touched me deeply. THis is one I will keep forever.
It is beautifully written
THank you so much for sharing this wonderful work
I am truly amazed and comforted with your words
Regards
Liz

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
5 posted 2001-10-31 05:23 PM

Very informative writing Sven of these Mexican beliefs and customs...James
Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
6 posted 2001-10-31 07:18 PM

My friends, Dia de los Muertos ("Day of the Dead") is a very important celebration in Latin America. . . it is akin to the Celtic Samhain, in that both ocassions celebrate and honor the spirits of the dead, of those who have passed over from this life to the next. . .

Enchantress, thank you for reading, I am glad that you enjoyed. . .

Interloper, yes my friend, you are correct. . . thank you Senor. . .

Laura, thank you so much. . . I believe that it's taught in many Spanish classes. . .

James, glad to see that you followed the link and learned about this. . .

Elizabeth, dear Lady, you know too that there is no more important day in the year than this. . . I too, feel these words very strongly and I am deeply moved to know that you will keep these words close to your heart. . . thank you. . .

-----------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
7 posted 2001-10-31 09:01 PM

I like tis side of halloween, using it to remember and speak to souls on the other plane. We should do that more often.
Sandra

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
8 posted 2001-11-01 06:44 AM

This is deeply moving Sven. Exquisite in every aspect. You are paying marvelous tribute. How spiritually connecting and endearing. Thank you for being so open with your heart in this.

Sincerely,
Regina

walker
Member Elite
since 2001-02-11
Posts 2240
Florida
9 posted 2001-11-01 01:12 PM

I've forgotten the celebrations, but my kids who go to Catholic school reminded me. Very  important Catholic and Latin American tradition. Great poems in both languages.
Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

10 posted 2001-11-01 01:15 PM

deeply moving, beautiful words that you write.  Wonderful friend...good to see you again.  *s*

On the wings of words our spirits fly....and our souls are free.
~Me~

(I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance~Garth)

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
11 posted 2001-11-01 01:26 PM

This is a lovely reminder that life is both precious and eternal.  I was especially touched by these words, 'Life is a dream that we will awaken from at death'  
A moving piece indeed.  Thank you Sven.

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
12 posted 2001-11-01 08:37 PM

A very moving tribute and I learned something too... not only ancestors but spirits, Gods, Goddesses are remembered and celebrated by others not just celtics, oriental and wiccan.
Beautiful Sven

Isis

Magnus
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
13 posted 2001-11-01 08:51 PM

Sven,  a truly great write.  Says much about
our own lives and our next life.  Yes,  life
is but a moment in time and death is eternal.
Let us hope that death holds eternal joy
for us all.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
14 posted 2001-11-01 09:29 PM

Sven, this one is so special to me. It brings back a flood of memories of a small  child, a Kindergartner in my computer lab back in CA, several years ago. While riding her bike, little Karina failed to stop at the end of the driveway, and we lost her. I had two Kindergarten classes I taught that year, including the bi-lingual Spanish class, with several children who spoke no English. Karina was always helping me, as she was bi-lingual, and had a heart of gold. Her head was so tiny the headphones wouldn't stay on, and all the kids would laugh hysterically whenevr she put them on, but no one laughed harder than Karina.
Her favorite movie was Beauty and The Beast. The day of the funeral, when I came back to the lab I put a small figurine of Belle, the girl in the movie, on the top of the computer where Karina had sat. All the kids came up and thanked me, and asked if we could leave that space empty for a few days, because it was still Karina's desk in their eyes. It was two weeks before I put anyone else there, and when I did, it was a tiny new girl straight from Mexico who spoke only three words in English, but by the end of the week, she knew all about Karina and Belle. And a year later, we all planted a tree at school, for Karina, and it received a bi-lingual blessing and a vow to never forget this sweetheart's soul. It's hard to type right now, because the tears are flowing, but the memory of her is still very strong. Especially today. And good memories are a treasure to hold. Thank you, Sven.  

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
15 posted 2001-11-01 11:42 PM

Sandra, yes we should. . . they do listen. . . but, do we?  Thank you my friend. . .

Regina, thank you for reading. . . this is a part of me. . .

walker, yes this is a part of the heritage, thank you my friend. . .

GS, thank you. . . it's good to see you again as well. . .  

BS, that "life is but a dream brings" back memories of that old children's song. . . thank you. . .

Isis, yes. . . this spans traditions and peoples. . . thank you so much. . .

Magnus, let us hope that for all of us my friend. . . thank you. . .

Midnitesun, memories are the storehouse of the soul. . . and I'm glad to see that yours has become a little fuller. . . thank you. . .

---------------------------------------------------------

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
16 posted 2001-11-02 11:53 AM

You've touched a lot of hearts with this, Sven... including mine. *S* Beautiful work!!
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
17 posted 2001-11-02 04:29 PM

*sigh* not only do you thrill us with your words but you educate us as well. I don't know how to tell you thank you for this. I love it.  

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » only the beginning - for Dia de los Muertos

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary