navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Abnormal
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic Abnormal Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
WindWalker
since 2001-10-12
Posts 1218

0 posted 2001-10-27 11:17 AM

ABNORMAL

I was a coarse stone dropped in smooth gravel in my early years upon this Earth.  I was to find out, soon enough, that I was what society terms “abnormal” and in today’s politically correct parlance, that would be: mentally challenged.
Because I was thus, it became natural for people who knew me, or met me, to mock my vision of being a writer within their ‘normal’ world.  How cold someone like me contribute anything worth reading?  Which publisher would even glance at my broken prose and laboured poetry?  They declared it would be a miracle if I ever contributed anything of value to society.  
Society’s welfare net offered some sort of  of semi-comfortable illusion that I could remain invisible while providing a number a government department (or ten) could use to squeeze more money from the very same public that sought to disown me!  But I come from a proud family; people who take care of themselves, who do not rely on society to feed them.  I would not remain as a small number on a Human Resources’ computer.  
I learned to parry the blows dealt my creative spirit and used them to shatter pillars of unwisdom positioned all around me to keep me in my place within the social zoo.  I wrote my feelings and trusted that God or the Universe, would provide the words I never learned while in those ‘special’ schools I was forced to attend.
There is no substance in doubters or mockers  who maintain the disabled cannot break the jagged rocks forming their outer shell and expose to an amazed world a polished diamond!  Here I stand, proof it is possible to contribute something good, artistic, uniquely mine, to this time of great awakening.  And if you remember, I am far from being the first who has done this.  Many, far more ‘challenged’ than I have made a great impact on society.
My question though is this: why does society, knowing this, insist on hiding the handicapped, the mentally or physically challenged, and using them only to make money off of them, either through ‘counselling’ or special schools, or drugs or the very lucrative business of prosthetics?  Why are we not encouraged to demonstrate the life skills we are forced to develop to replace the ones denied us by ‘defective’ bodies?  
OK, world, I’m asking.  Answer me!

© Copyright 2001 Sharran WindWalker - All Rights Reserved
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
1 posted 2001-10-27 11:26 AM

A question very worthy of reply. I think this world has put such limits on what is "normal" that when they have to deal with someone who is outside their narrow world they become fearful. Many understand that fear breeds hate most often...so instead they shut you away and try to make you conform to their idea of what normal is within the limits of your world. STANDING OVATION!!!!The heart, soul and mind it took to write such a piece as this in not challenged in anyway that I can see. BRAVO!!!Thank you, so very much, WindWalker, for sharing you heart and soul with us. Write on for here you will find ears to hear and see the man within who has much to share with us all.  

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » Abnormal

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary