navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » What's in a Name
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic What's in a Name Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

0 posted 2001-10-26 05:05 PM

What’s in a Name

When I was a child my parents would say
A good name is important in every way
It doesn’t matter if the name is Smith or Jones
It’s what people say about you on their phones

We grew up with a telephone party line
One short, one long, and hopefully some time
Ladies would listen carefully for a name
then they’d share what led to their fame

One had to carefully watch what you said
Those party lines were something to dread
Did you hear about Thelma with the red hair
She runs all over with nary a care

Her husband has to cook his own meals
She’ll run that car off its' wheels
Remember Susie down Peach Tree Lane
She’s about ready to leave and catch a train

My parents would always tried to impress
The importance of good conduct and dress
We don’t want your name on that party line
Each lady has a heart like a feline

Even we would lift the phone and try to hear
gossip the ladies were sharing without fear
One day I heard them speak my name
The love of gossip I soon overcame

Written by, Wanda L. Reu 8/23/01

© Copyright 2001 Wanda - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2001-10-26 05:14 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Such a wonderful lesson learned indeed! (sigh) I'm kind of shy, and don't like to gossip, for I believe each person has their won feelings that beats deep down in their heart and I love to just respect them and admire them for the beautiful people they are, for we all are special! (kiss on cheek) Muah! Beautiful, sweet friend! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Wanda, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

2 posted 2001-10-26 05:18 PM

Noah, You are young enough you have probably never had the wonderful privilege of a party line where everyone listens when someone else is talking.  (Wow, am I ever setting a date on my age???) Thankfully, we are past that stage of history.  You couldn't believe some of the things you could hear.  Hope your day has gone well. A MUAH to you too.  Wanda
Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
3 posted 2001-10-26 07:31 PM

We never had party lines but gossip is something that seems to create it own party line and no matter what a person does there is no defense against it. I have been a victim of it many many times. Magnificent writing with a message to us all.  

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

4 posted 2001-10-26 10:10 PM

Karen; I have a feeling this is something many of us have experienced.  When you are the brunt of it, it certainly makes you see the ugliness of it.  Thank you for responding to this poem.  Wanda
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2001-10-27 10:13 AM

Well Wanda, I remember partylines, and they do still exist in the rumor mills today, which I also hate with a passion (no pun intended honest!   This was a great little poem and Hi There, I never said hello to you before.  

~*~  Carpe' Diem  ~*~

Wanda
since 2001-10-23
Posts 461

6 posted 2001-10-27 10:27 AM

Mysteria; Hi to you as well.  I know what you mean about the rumor mills.  I hate that as well.  I see you are from B.C. We have visited there before and found it to be a beautiful place.  Thank you for the reply to the poem.  Wanda
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » What's in a Name

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary