navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Scared
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic Scared Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US

0 posted 2001-09-12 04:46 PM

When I was 13, I lived through the televised death of John Kennedy. Later, I lived through the atrocities of Vietnam, through Kent State, through mass murders and natural catastrophes. I've watched space shuttles explode on CNN and listened in horror as children killed other children in American schools. All of those appalling events of an imperfect world live with me, shaping the person I have become. But perhaps no other day in history has touched my heart in the same way as did yesterday.

Television stations in this country are calling it the "Attack on America," characterizing this senseless violence as a second Perl Harbor, as a declaration of war. Maybe they're right. Yet, what I've seen in the past twenty-four hours within our own pipTalk forums convinces me they are, at best, only partially right.

September 11 was an attack not against just America, but against the world.

If you don't believe me, ask Titia or Munda, poets from the Netherlands. Ask Melissa or Kit, from Canada, or Dee or Maree from Australia. Ask Kamla from New Zealand. Voices have been raised in England, in India, in Ireland, in Korea, and in dozens more nations across the planet. Our poetry is international, and so too has been the compassion and outrage expressed by our poets.

I am both humbled and incredibly proud of the people whom comprise the Internet. They give me hope.

Scared

Scared, she tried to calm the tears
of her seven-year old daughter.

"It's going to be okay," she lied,
as the dark men,
armed with knives and cold eyes,
herded passengers to the rear
of the half-empty plane.
Furtively, afraid to draw attention,
she breathed into a small ear,
"Please don't cry."

Scared, he forced his eyes from
the window to the photo on his desk.

Across the way, the tower
that mirrored his own
was adrift in flames,
dark clouds of billowing smoke
all but obscuring the
approaching, well aimed, plane.
"It's coming," he whispered to
his wife's smiling picture.

Scared, she flipped the channel
to yet another chronicle of chaos.

Their apartment was so close
she imagined she could smell the smoke,
though perhaps it was just a reflection
of the stinging argument they had
while he was dressing for work.
His office phone went unanswered,
his cell number refused to connect,
and still she mouthed the words, "I'm sorry."

Scared, he bounded up another flight of stairs,
the plaster walls trembling in unison with his heart.

"Keep going!" he breathlessly yelled
to civilians he passed in the closed stairwell.
Some were covered with silt, some with blood,
all with the clinging, cloying sense of fear.
Twenty-three floors, and still he climbed,
checking for locked doors,
directing frightened people,
and praying, "Please, give us more time."

Scared, she ran through the crowded street,
panic pounding more loudly than the thunder at her back.

The tower was collapsing under its own weight,
its steel palms crushing those unable to run,
its billowing fingers of darkness relentlessly chasing
those still trying to escape.
Hot winds tickled her bare neck,
a silent voice urging her to greater speeds.
Fetid darkness blinded her, choked her,
as speed alone proved not enough.

Scared, I lay awake in a darkened room last night
and asked the inevitable, "Why?"

Those who died weren't soldiers.
They didn't shape foreign policies
or decide global economies.
They were just people.
Mothers and fathers, daughters and sons,
each now a victim of hatreds
beyond their responsibility,
beyond anyone's real understanding.

Scared, the world watched in horror, in pain,
and in ever growing rage.

Shoulder to shoulder, they stood together,
speaking in many languages,
in a single assenting voice.
"This cannot be," they whispered in awe.
Ignoring differences, forgetting distinctions,
they joined unlike hands and equal hearts.
And the whispers rose in crescendo:
"This cannot be ever again."

Join hands, my friends. In prayer, in protest, in peace and retribution, as a world united in our common intolerance of hatred and hate-inspired death.

Join hands. Join voices. Join hearts.

Please read the special notice on the News Page at the main site. I encourage everyone to submit their attempts to deal with this insanity, so they can be better shared with the world. Everyone here has done a marvelous job of offering support to our family of friends, and I'm immensely proud of each of you. But we can do more, reach so many more, and I think your heartfelt words of courage and understanding are more desperately needed today than perhaps at any other time in our lives. The poems at the main site are emailed to thousands every day, and forwarded to many thousands more.

This poem called "Scared" is the first at the main site, and I supect the least, of what I hope will be many more. Your voice must be heard.

© Copyright 2001 Ron Carnell - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2001-09-12 04:52 PM

Thank you Ron.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

2 posted 2001-09-12 04:55 PM

very well said and done...

I too agree with your thoughts and wish for all here or anywhere in the world..the strength and courage to deal with the events of yesterday and the huge personal loss.

It stormed or so I have read the night before last in New York.... my effort to express in part...what I felt...
It thundered that night
And the next day
As the world watched
Our frames were shaken

The lightening quick strikes
Burned holes in our minds
Charring scars
bringing bile to throat backs
we swallow hard the bitter

It thundered that night
And the next day
As the world watched
It rained ashen death

Floods of tears
Failed to wash away the images
Stinging eyes and choking hearts
Smothering layers of fear
Fell on us

It thundered that night
And the next day,
Though the sun was bright
We could not see it
For the darkness

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
3 posted 2001-09-12 04:59 PM

Ron, this was great... you've captured so many of the emotions that all of us have and have not been able to express... Thanks
Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
4 posted 2001-09-12 05:00 PM

thank you Ron, as I am proud to be a member of this poetsite.

Charisma

Zinsser
since 2001-02-27
Posts 1641
Calif.
5 posted 2001-09-12 05:04 PM

<<< Crying>>>

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
6 posted 2001-09-12 05:11 PM

Ron,
this is amazing, I can't quit crying

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-09-12 05:11 PM

You have my hand Ron, and I go in pride to be part of the "family" of Passions on the front page to send out a global message.  Thank you for this wonderful submission.

*~If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all*~
~* My Gramma, Mom and me *~

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

8 posted 2001-09-12 05:12 PM

we are exactly the same age. These feelings go straight to my bone. I am very scared and very changed also. Thank you for these thoughts.

Kathleen

"Others can stop you temporarily, but only you can do it permanently."

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
9 posted 2001-09-12 05:14 PM

thank you

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

10 posted 2001-09-12 05:16 PM

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
11 posted 2001-09-12 05:36 PM

For once in my life I cannot find the words to describe how horrified I am by what happened in New York and Washington. I am completely dazed and stunned when I think of all the people in the planes, those trapped in the buildings and the ones who survived this horror and are branded for live. To think people jumped out of the building in panic and fear, breaks my heart. It almost tears me apart to even try to imagine the agony they must have been in... a living nightmare! This is a disaster beyond anything and a black day in history for mankind. I am outraged and yet feel so helpless.

All of Europe is shaken and horrified by the news and many fear this may be a start of a new series of terrorist actions, knowing, should this have been the first of more, it may very well be Europe next, as security in the United Stated is on the highest state of alert at the moment.

There are a number of things that really scare me about this insane situation. What devilish mind came up with this plan? Who has enough power/terror to find 4 pilots skilled enough to fly into buildings and willing to kill themselves for the "good" cause? Who has such an organization and hates America enough to even consider and act of evil like this? And on top of that... who has such contempt for (western) life to kill so many innocent...
It scares me to even try to find an answer to these questions - it scares me to think what this may lead to.

Yesterday was most certainly an act of war, not only to the United Stated but to the entire free world. Nonetheless it are the American people who suffer the loss at the moment and only because the United States represent "freedom" at its best. I am in total shock and pray the world will send as much help as possible in every way possible, but most of all I hope with all my heart all these thousands of people did not die for nothing... out of hatred... but will bring people all over the world closer together, in love, friendship and respect. Let's join hands. Together we are strong.

My heart goes out to all of you in America - my heart cries for the world.

"This cannot ever be ever again."
Your  poem says it al Ronl. Thank you.

Munda

[This message has been edited by Munda (edited 09-12-2001).]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
12 posted 2001-09-12 05:37 PM

Thank you for these honest and heartfelt words and poem.  Hugs!
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
13 posted 2001-09-12 05:46 PM

Dear Ron, be sure that this pain is felt overhere in the Netherlands too, but that you already know.

Join hands, voices and hearts is the only thing we can do and it will be done all over the free world.

Thank you so much for your words and beautiful poem.

Titia

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace/

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
14 posted 2001-09-12 06:26 PM

----------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

rwood
Member Elite
since 2000-02-29
Posts 3793
Tennessee
15 posted 2001-09-12 06:27 PM

Thank you for pointing out the support that unites us all from all around us. And the fact that no one cared about color or creed in the face of the horrible disaster. The time has come for the world to grab on to the closest one next to them and hang on with love. Thank you also for the poignant words of reality. This cannot be sugar coated even if we try. Hugs and peace to everyone.

Sincerely,
Regina

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
16 posted 2001-09-12 07:06 PM

The Jews said "Never again" after World War II. World War I was "the war to end all wars". Hopefully this act will trigger events that will make "never again" a reality...but at what a price!

Excellent writing, Ron, for a poem that we wish would never had been written. I, too, am filled with pride to belong to this family right now....

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
17 posted 2001-09-12 07:17 PM

For the first time since this happened, I am now shedding tears....thank you for saying what I feel incapable of saying right now.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
18 posted 2001-09-12 07:45 PM

Initial Reaction

Whether or not the scum responsible for this morning's attacks on our nation's capital at the Pentagon and at the World Trade Center in New York City had any metaphorical intent or any sense of irony at all our national emergency call is now also the wake up call to arms on a new date that will live in infamy.  This is a 911 of the highest priority at a time when we must act with deliberation and intellect instead of rage.

In times of war it is paramount that our government speak with one voice to the world regardless of political ideology and for the rank and file of public and private citizens to lend full support to our leaders.

The horrific loss of life most of the nation and the world watched on television this morning should underline to the American people the importance of foreign policy and our engagement of peace negotiations throughout the world even in areas that may seemingly have no immediate effect on our national interests.

Whether or not this was state sponsored terrorism or the act of a loose-cannon despot like Osama Bin Laden -- or even the remote possibility this was some nut-job domestic dissidents like the Oklahoma City bombing -- it's time now for our central government to do what it was intended to do -- and that is to protect the citizens of the United States while upholding the Constitution.

In order to have a nation of freedom our founding father's risked everything -- including life and liberty.  The lives lost in this latest attack on freedom should be commemorated and honored by upholding the principles on which our nation was founded.

One of the despicable effects of terrorism is the psychological impact on our sense of well being and the temptation to sacrifice personal freedom for personal safety.  There would be undoubtedly no end to the satisfaction in the minds and hearts of these international criminals than to watch our nation surrender our liberty as a result of this horrific tragedy.

President Bush has vowed to hunt down these tyrants he called 'faceless cowards' and rightly said it was freedom that was attacked.  In the wake of the first attempt to blow up the World Trade Center, the Oklahoma City Bombing, we've seen the almost insane measures taken in airports in the name of security that we've all seen today had little to no effect on persons of malice.

In the words of my late father -- 'locks only keep out honest people'.  

In the days, months, years ahead -- the public outcry for security will be loud.  But friends -- there is no such thing as security except an absence of malice.  

Regardless of the extremes our government may pursue to secure intelligence on events like these we will always be vulnerable as long as we have a nation of freedom.  Abandoning that freedom is a greater act of terror on the American people and the counter measures taken by the intelligence community quite often only have an effect on ordinary law abiding citizens and our privacy.

It was the genius of children's book author Dr. Zeus that struck at the real truth of the human spirit and the best weapon against terrorism.  Yes.  We must stop to mourn.  We must stop to secure the airways and our borders.  But we cannot -- will not -- let the Grinch steal our spirit of freedom.

America comes together miraculously in times of tribulation.  The American Spirit, indeed, the Human Spirit... Will Prevail.

Peace and my heartfelt sympathy to the friends and families of the thousands who died today in the name of liberty.

Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
19 posted 2001-09-12 07:45 PM

Yes thank you Ron,

I felt as if I could not share because I was not directly affected, but the numbness and ache in my heart says different, it says why so very loudly to the point it is heard in my sleep!

Thank you for your lovely words,

Love, Cerenity

"God doesn't have to be reminded that we exist.
We have to be reminded that He exist!"

(Writer Unknown)

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
20 posted 2001-09-12 08:02 PM

I will gladly take your hand Ron, and the hands of all others the world over, who are scared, confused and who also pray for a better world and end to this madness...

I put a small post in feelings yesterday trying to explain how the Aussies felt when we saw those horrors on TV, the way it affected us all, the world over...

The way we questioned what the world has become, the pain we felt as we watched on horror, the confusion, the illness, the fear and the disbelief.

I lit a large candle that has been burning non-stop since I first heard of the tragedy..

May I suggest we all light a candle and put it in our windows to honour the innocent, the heros who then lost their lives trying to help the victims, their families and also I look upon that candle as a glimmer of hope, hope that we can all - the world over -
find peace again....

Isis

*The greatest warrior is one that does not need to fight* ~Isis~

[This message has been edited by Isis (edited 09-12-2001).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
21 posted 2001-09-12 09:04 PM

I'm so very proud of the outpouring of love and support we've been seeing here on our forums since this disaster happened.  

You certainly named this wonderful place appropriately, Ron... and I hope you know that I am very, very, very proud of YOU, my dear friend...

SmittenKitten
since 2001-06-20
Posts 1131
where the sky and horizon meet
22 posted 2001-09-12 09:21 PM

I'm sure this poem was as difficult to write as it was to read...you have spoken for many with your powerful words.  My hand is here and open....thank you

Hugs,
~Krista

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
23 posted 2001-09-12 10:04 PM

Ron,
Thank you dear friend. I'll post my poem tomorrow. It's called "To Eve."

Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
24 posted 2001-09-12 10:10 PM

Thank you for this, Ron.

I'm still in shock, I am still praying that we will all wake up tomorrow and realize that it was just a bad dream.  But, I know that we will all never be the same again.  But, I have faith in the power of good.  America will prevail!  
Thank you so much for this, I can't stop the tears.

Topheth
since 2001-09-08
Posts 297
Texas
25 posted 2001-09-12 10:22 PM

Thank you.
Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

26 posted 2001-09-13 12:14 PM

Last night, when I read the reactions of our members around the world to the events of the day, I was comforted.  I am very grateful for this site and it's members, everyday but especially today.  And Ron, thank you for giving us this place to meet and speak from our souls.  Thank you for your poem.  I will visit the news page but my attempts so far to put my own experience into words have been lacking.  
Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
27 posted 2001-09-13 12:35 PM

Ron you are completely right. This attack of American was also an attack of the free world. The insanity of it just boogles the mind. I work in a government building and as that dawned on me it scared me. The whole building was numbed, all of Canada was numbed. There are no words enough to say, how we feel for our US brothers and sisters.
Sept 11th will be remembered around the world.

Parker

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
28 posted 2001-09-13 01:28 AM

Ron, even in Australia we are all in shock. It is still hard to believe it has really happened. I sit in horror and watch the television, finding it difficult to walk away. The hardest part is not knowing, the why and who.
My candle burns for you all and my friend Jock, from whom I haven't heard yet. I love you all and pray that everything will be fine for you and yours.

Dee

PS. Jock is ok! He got in touch tonight.  

[This message has been edited by Dee (edited 09-13-2001).]

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
29 posted 2001-09-13 01:42 AM

You have expressed it well Ron...James
kaile
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
30 posted 2001-09-13 06:15 AM

i will heed your call...

the images were heartwrenching...i needed to steel myself before i could finish the poem

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
31 posted 2001-09-13 08:36 AM

Ron~
When my words wouldn't come, I read the words of others.

Poignantly so many spoke of the heartbreak, the pain and the fear.
The fear ... yes, scared ... that's exactly what I was.

As I saw through this site the reaching out of hands across the great expanse of the globe, I found much comfort in the compassionate loving prayers that were extended.

Each hand that grasps ours ... comes from the hearts of loving, caring people.

Thank you for giving us all a place to come together.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
                                   noles1@totcon.com            

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
32 posted 2001-09-13 08:45 AM

This needs to stay at the top, for all who come in to Passions as new members - for all who come in as current members - for all who need to know, they are not alone.

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
33 posted 2001-09-13 10:59 AM

This is one time I wish I could write like you.  Thank you Ron.

paladin
since 2001-08-05
Posts 930
Pensacola,Fl.
34 posted 2001-09-13 11:13 AM

We can now stop watching the stories about suicide bombers blowing up pizza resturants in Isreal witha detached horror.It has happened to us.I am sure this is just the first of these attacks on us.We have a war thrust upon us.The whole world must unite to seek out these terrorist and say never again.Terrorism must not be allowed to be a weapon.We have united to cure diseases before and terrorism is a disease fed by hatred.It must end or we will slowly be destroyed.

paladin

Andrew Scott
Member Elite
since 1999-06-24
Posts 2558
Redlands,CA,USA
35 posted 2001-09-13 12:49 PM

Sir Ron... my thanks for putting into words those things that I could not.  Perhaps in time my own thoughts will follow.  Peace to you and your's and to all who have been touched by these events.
Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
36 posted 2001-09-13 02:18 PM

Ron,

It's been a while since I've been in the service, but I'm ready to go and do whatever I can to help...

BC

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

37 posted 2001-09-13 02:21 PM

Thank you Ron, the nation needs to share now...we all need to burn the candle of hope.

On the wings of words our spirits fly....and our souls are free.
~Me~

(I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance~Garth)

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
38 posted 2001-09-13 07:23 PM

Ron-
   Thank you so very much for this!
   This touched me so deeply that I was unable
   to reply after the first time I read it.
   So, I've come back to do it now...

You've penned the thoughts and feelings
   of all of us when we were unable to find the words.

Thank you for giving us such a wonderful
   place to come and share our poetry and
   our hearts.  I am so proud to be a part
   of such an awesome group of people!

Hugs,
   ~Vicky

"...until you have read the verse on his heart,
you have not truly met the poet.
~vlraynes

Songbird
Member Elite
since 1999-12-15
Posts 2184
Missouri
39 posted 2001-09-13 07:36 PM

I want to say thank you to you for your wonderful poetry site. It is not so important whether we can write great poetry, but that we find good support for our writing about life, during good times and bad. I felt a unity here within these pages the first day I accidently surfed onto them.. and now even though I am numb and cannot write.. I find comfort in reading the poetry of those who can. Like you I appreciate knowing that is not just those who have personally suffered but from people who live all around the world. God Bless.
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
40 posted 2001-09-13 07:55 PM

Thank you for putting into words what may have been the last thoughts of many loved ones lost forever from this earth. But I also believe their souls are out there, watching us, hoping this never happens again, while waiting for justice. And the sun will shine, the skies will cry, and we will move forward, together, undefeated by these terrorists who are trying to steal our hearts, our souls, and our freedom along with our bodies. Thanks for giving us this space to share our fears, our tears, and our resolve to be stronger than ever.
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

41 posted 2001-09-13 09:40 PM

Thank you, Ron, this is an excellent idea and poem. Thanks again.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
42 posted 2001-09-14 07:25 AM

... and again...

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
43 posted 2001-09-14 09:56 AM

...and again...

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
44 posted 2001-09-14 10:17 AM

I agree with everybody else, Ron.
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
45 posted 2001-09-14 07:20 PM

Ron,
This was heartwrenching to read, but it had to be done. It was surely heartwrenching to write, but again..it had to be done. I just wanted everyone to know that although I'm not participating in all the writing (because I'm too stunned with feelings I can't explain to write)or discussing along with everyone, that I am still here. Reading..and trying to remember silent moments for all the destruction and lives lost...and most of all...remembering that this is a time when prayer is desperately needed.   my dear people!
((HUGS))

doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
46 posted 2001-09-14 07:25 PM

your writing is exceptionally poignant.... a painful read..... so well executed

thank you for sharing this, Ron

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
47 posted 2001-09-15 07:45 AM

Ride of PRIDE - back to the top !

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
                                   noles1@totcon.com            

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
48 posted 2001-09-15 09:35 AM

First, I want to thank everyone for your very kind words.

Many of you astutely commented on the difficulty writing this poem presented, recognizing the pain it represents. I can honestly say I've never written anything that hurt me so much. I don't think I could do it again. As Balladeer said, this poem should never have been necessary, should never have been written. Perhaps the very fact that it was necessary makes my own hurt, if not unimportant, at least worthwhile. I pray that in our pain, our shock, our growing anger, we never forget these people as individuals.

The main site was updated this morning with a brand new section and about a score of new poems that try to make sense of this week's senseless tragedy. Normally, after an update, I would be emailing each of the contributing writers to let them know where to find their work, and imploring them to check everything closely so we can quickly correct MY inevitable blunders. Instead, I'm posting this notice here, so I can start getting ready for the next update. I hope each of you who have contributed will take a trip to the main site and make sure I didn't mess up your work too badly. If you find a problem, please email me and we'll get it fixed.

http://netpoets.com/poems/america/index.htm

Oh, and lest I forget - thank you!

Adding a score of new poems to the main site was not a trivial task. Because each of the sections are linked, because all of the poems include a "Next" button, because every author has their own page listing their contributions, those twenty or so pages blossomed into nearly thirty hours of intense labor. To get those twenty pages to function required uploading nearly three thousand. It didn't help, too, that I've been rewriting all of our database software in preparation for our imminent move, meaning the new pages had to be "shoe horned" into the old system (leaving a lot more room for errors, by the way).

I mention all of this not for sympathy, but to emphasis how incredibly important I think this is.

There are so many people out there right now struggling for some semblance of understanding, searching for some measure of comfort. Your words, my friends, can help. They can make a very real difference in someone's life right now. Your words may be the kindling needed to ignite a light that, for many, has been all but extinguished by the darkness thrust into our faces this past Tuesday morning. If you've already contributed, I applaud you. If you haven't, I urge you to consider doing so.

Many of you, I know, are struggling with your own demons. You feel you have nothing to say. And I understand. It's so easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer immensity of everything that needs to be said, with the sheer chaos of everything we feel. Our words are finite, and the impact right now seems all too infinite. We cannot make sense of the limitless. Nor should we try.

Cast your eyes not to the center of this boundless, incompressible room, but rather into the corners. Into the crevices. When I wrote "Scared," I tried to concentrate on the people, because that's what I want to remember. Not the staggering numbers, not the devastation of landmarks, but the individual lives. I spoke of my own questions, I spoke of my hopes for unity. Even then, I suspect my canvas was too wide. Poetry is never about "big" things, but rather should be about how those big things, and the little ones, too, effect our personal lives. If you are trying to write about the tragedy and feel yourself falling short, then stop trying. Write instead about your heart. Not the Universal heart, not the American heart, but about yours.

If there's one thing I've learning in three years at Passions, watching over twenty million visitors respond to thousands of poems, it's that poetry is necessarily very personal. What you have to say cannot ever be said by me, or by any other person. More importantly, somewhere out there is a person, perhaps a wife worried about her son in the military, maybe a man with too much anger, possibly a teen dating an Arab, someone who can identify exactly with what you have to say to them. Only you can reach them. Only you can console, advise, or touch. Only you, and the story you have to tell as a writer, can make a difference.

I urge you to try.

Charisma
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
49 posted 2001-09-15 10:49 AM

Thank you Ron, as my feelings are so mixed right now, I am scared as many are with me. Even that I don't live in the states, but this pain is a worldwide grief and ache, as you already know....we don't know what tomorrow brings, I only can offer my prayers.

May God be with you and all of us in these terrible days.

Charisma

Sven
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
50 posted 2001-09-15 11:02 AM

I just again wanted to thank you Ron for allowing us to express our anger, our shock and our grief in this manner.

I have just come from a poetry forum where the members are not being allowed to post poetry about this, simply because the Moderators and owners of that Forum feel that poetry about this, written (in their words) "off the cuff" is not good enough to be read and shows insensitivity towards those who have suffered losses in this tragedy.  Do you believe that??

Thank you again. . .  

--------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Gentle Spirit
Member Patricius
since 2000-10-09
Posts 13989

51 posted 2001-09-15 12:05 PM

And again, this needs to be back at the top.  Ron, I join my fellow poets in thanking you for giving us this place to share our hearts and souls in this sorrowful
time for our nation.  Our voices, united
help to spread hope, love, and peace to everyone who has been touched by this tragedy. I don't feel that anyone can see such a tragedy as this happen without being affected by it in some way or another.  Again......bump to the top.  We need this to be seen!!  

(And you never did think that it ever would happen again, In America....you never did think that we'd ever get together again.....but we're walkin real proud and we're talking real loud again......in America....you never did think that it ever would happen again.  ~Charlie Daniels~

On the wings of words our spirits fly....and our souls are free.
~Me~

(I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance~Garth)

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

52 posted 2001-09-15 02:45 PM

I'm late...but did want to say that this is a poignant piece of work--and not to kiss yer butt too much? But I truly look up to you. Your talent, patience, tolerance and generosity is a continued source of inspiration to me. Passions is NOT just a website. It IS a haven. I thank you.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
53 posted 2001-09-16 08:04 AM

... and again, my EDF..

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
54 posted 2001-09-16 09:55 AM

Ron - I had to reply once more to this, and hope that they read it...

'You have given no quarter, I will give you none in return'...

BC

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
55 posted 2001-09-16 10:22 AM

Ron ... the stark reality you've captured in this piece sends a shockwave through my mind. Thank you for creating the page on the main site. I hope this will allow many to share their feelings during this tragic time. It has indeed, affected us all ...
Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
56 posted 2001-09-16 11:20 AM

Ron, you've said it all.........and you've dipped your pen in this horrific bedlem and came up with words that need to be heard.
Thanks for sharing. God Bless America and this Whole World. Love and peace, Maggie

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
57 posted 2001-09-17 12:39 PM

Ron, by far this is one of the most outstanding piece I have read on this event. You've captured a rawness and just shot it out in the most beautiful way.

No more words can express just what I am feeling though I am scared for my brothers who are of age to fight and their inability to see how serious this actually is.  

"Who needs enemies,
When you've got friends like these
Caught between me and myself again"
Motor Ace - Enemies

[This message has been edited by anonymousfemale (edited 09-17-2001).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Scared

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary