navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Think you've got problems
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic Think you've got problems Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA

0 posted 2002-08-18 06:38 PM

Listen im not a selfish person but I can only take stuff to an extent..cannot stand ppl who are woe is me..life isn't going all that great all I can say it can be worse...

Think you've got
Problems
When you come home at night
Alone, crying
When someone out there
Is dying
In a choke hold
In a loving home
Child gone mad
Trying to run out that window
Think you've got
Problems
When you don't have a job
Or you're friends don't give you
The time of day
When a mother
Can not breathe
Her son on a rampage
Father trying to save her
As the police come knocking on the door
Think you've got problems!?
It can only get worse
Trust me...
So next time
You want to feel selfish
Think of whats going on around you
In the background
You'll get over it...

© Copyright 2002 Kristen Brandon - All Rights Reserved
Savage Quiescence
since 2002-07-29
Posts 326
Wandering
1 posted 2002-08-18 07:18 PM

Well, I like the idea. For some reason, I like the first half of the poem better than the second. I really do not know why, though. But either way, not a bad write! Reads very strong in the mind.

~Sky

paper doll
since 2002-08-04
Posts 133
Floating on Uncertainty
2 posted 2002-08-18 09:29 PM

You start off with this so well but the strength seems to disipate towards the last 8 or so lines. You had a fantastic rhyme running through it until, once again, the last 8 or so lines. Excellent choice of topic but I'd suggest a revision just to fix up a few parts of it.

Other than that, thanks a lot for the read.

~M

Imagination=nostalgia for the past, the absent; it is the liquid solution in which art develops the snapshots of reality.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
3 posted 2002-08-18 11:38 PM

Woah! What guts to say that! Great job!! (I left the critiquing to the others)
Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
4 posted 2002-08-19 09:03 AM

The beginning really grabbed me, but the end lacked, I don't know, strength?  It could have been slightly better.  I, too, hate it when people are like "my life sucks... blah blah blah" because I have one friend who once told me that she was depressed because some kid at her church that she didn't even know picked their nose.  That personally makes no sense to me.  I mean, yeah, it's disgusting, but it's nothing to get "depressed" about.  Anyways, good write.

I've never seen you on the streets of this town, I've never seen you just hanging around, But you still tell me that you know me... ~Justin Sane

Kevin
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-11-02
Posts 729
Torrington, Ct, Usa
5 posted 2002-08-19 09:17 AM

I thought this poem was well written

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go
All I need is just to hear a song I know

[This message has been edited by Kevin (08-19-2002 09:20 AM).]

vixengrl04
since 2001-04-26
Posts 495
East Haddam, CT
6 posted 2002-08-19 01:37 PM

I liked this because of your straightforward honesty.  You didn't try to sugarcoat anything here, and that made the piece very strong.  I definitely understand where you're coming from here, because I know many people who constantly complain about such petty problems.  It's frustrating when I find myself often wanting to scream, "Open up your eyes!! Look around you!! You are SO lucky!!".  At the same time, I try to understand that to one person, their problems could be the most enormous struggle they've ever endured.  Anyways, I'm definitely getting off topic and just rambling now.  I enjoyed this post!

Always,
Nikki

*~Fighting for your love~*
    *~Is something I cannot do~*
   *~I'm not good enough to win~*
*~And I'm not strong enough to lose~*

Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
7 posted 2002-08-19 06:55 PM

Heh, I liked this. Very biting..but they're right, it -does- lose some strength near the end...I think it's because you left your original "paint the picture" style and fell into the "this is what i'm saying" sort of thing. It's still a good reminder, though. Just remember that sometimes the background can suck you in just as badly as your own selfishness can. (Ok Carly, enough preaching of mediums...) Keep writing.

~Carly

"Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions."
  ~David Borenstein

dj29
since 2002-08-19
Posts 13
Florida
8 posted 2002-08-19 09:16 PM

Very Good Poem

I loved your honesty and your ability to be frank.

Hope to read more.
Dj29

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » Think you've got problems

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary