navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » This is a little poetry a little prose (not sure where to post)
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic This is a little poetry a little prose (not sure where to post) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LCBS
since 2001-11-29
Posts 532
Connecticut

0 posted 2002-02-24 08:10 PM

Paper for english.....Greek myth about the origin of Poetry...read if you dare (its long).  Oh and I hope you know about Greek mythology.....

Hera vs. Poetry

A battle Of Wits

Very rarely was Mount Olympus calm, but there was a period of time where Zeus and Hera lived in pure tranquillity. During this harmonious time, Hera gave birth to twins, Rhyme and Verse.  Rhyme was a vision of beauty; she was an immortal Pandora, born with every gift that the gods could offer, including a kind sympathetic heart.   Verse was a strong, handsome man, complete with intelligence and sensitivity.  The two married, and Rhyme gave birth to the lovely Poetry.
Poetry lived with her parents on the island of Cyprus.  Aphrodite, goddess of love and beauty, and Athena, goddess of art mentored her.  She spent her days playing with the young Eros, while he grew into the god of love.  Poetry grew up loving all arts and beauty.  Because poetry’s parents were Rhyme and Verse, that was all she could speak in.  Words poured out of her mouth so sweetly that when she would talk, everyone would be mesmerized.
Both the people of Greece, and the immortal gods worshipped Poetry, and her kind timid soul.  However, with kindness and beauty come jealousy, and Hera could not stand being second to the great poetry.  On one unusual trip to Mount Olympus, an intimidating Hera met her, with evil in her eyes.  "You, you steal my worshippers, you steal their love, for this, you must be punished!"  Hera could not be stopped, but a quiet Poetry looked into Hera’s eyes and began to speak.

"Grandmother, you surprise me…
You don’t like what I have become?
But what is it that you thought I’d be?
Wasn’t it you whom my gifts are from
My beauty it is all from you…
My love for creation, my skill…
My intelligence from the Great Hera too
Your dreams, I did fulfill…
What is it that I need to alter?
I am what you made me…
Nowhere in me did you falter
Or are you too almighty to see?"

"THAT IS IT!" Screamed an embarrassed and insulted Hera, "I am tired of your insolence, forever more you will only be able to speak when rhyming another persons last word!"

"Oh Hera, that’s absolutely absurd
for I can never be deterred
And I can rhyme any spoken word"

A flash of red anger passed through Hera’s usually cool eyes.  "I challenge you, young poetry, to a duo against my husband.  Beat Zeus using your clever tongue, or never speak again"

"First Hera wipe away that grin
and then tell me where and when
Let’s let these games begin"

Said Poetry in a sarcastic, condescending tone.  Hera sent for Hermes, and the next day, the Olympic pantheon surrounded Zeus and Poetry, ready to witness Poetry’s feeble attempt at overcoming Zeus.  

"Zeus you may think your great
But sadly you’re mistaken
You cannot conquer fate
And one day you will awaken
To find your rule will end abrupt
you’ll be conquered by your sons
for they feel you are too corrupt
And they should be the ones
To rule the earth and all above
To behold true omnipotence
So you they must dispose of
it’s really common sense
They’ve all ganged up on Zeus the great
They are tired of your pretentiousness
And a fast approaching date
You’ll be rid of your contentiousness
You don’t believe that I’m a prophecy
But the future is drawing near
And the look in your eyes I want to see
When the feared, begins to fear
Zeus, the future is quite clear
But I might be able to change it
Not everything is how it appears
I could rearrange it
Now Zeus, I’ve made my impression
Please let my lips speak free
Let poetry be a way of expression,
For all of eternity

With an angered and hurt look in his eyes, Zeus led Poetry off the mountain, and said she was free to go.  If only she would allow him to see his future.  Poetry looked at him and said;

"Your future would only be wrong
If you kept me under her curse
And didn’t let me sing my sweet song
Or speak in my lovely verse
Zeus I played a trick on you
you will never be overthrown
the things I said, they were untrue
Your secure in your throne"

Zeus, astounded by poetry’s wit and cunning, fell in love with his young granddaughter.  Zeus and Poetry had many children.  Among them were: Haiku, Ballad, Sonnet, Limerick, Ode, Vianelle, Sestina, Narrative, Quatrains, Tercet, and Couplet. Their Grandchildren were; Style, Repetition, Meter, Line, Imagery, Form, and Tradition.

Exeryone makes mistake, learn from them and move on, because tomorrow we'll make more...

© Copyright 2002 Lisa Bednarz - All Rights Reserved
gracianna
since 2002-02-17
Posts 165
A 14 year hell
1 posted 2002-02-24 08:16 PM

That's a good one!

I give a whole new meaning to the word 'sad.'

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2002-02-26 02:57 AM

Well good luck with this paper, it was just great, and I know enough about Greek Mythology to know you covered all your bases here, right down to the grandchildren!  I would make one suggestion though, that you copy it to word if you have it and do a spell check on it, as there are several spelling errors (doesn't go over too well in an English paper) Great going, let us know how this turned out.

~* Imagination is more important than knowledge *~

Einstein

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (02-26-2002 02:59 AM).]

LCBS
since 2001-11-29
Posts 532
Connecticut
3 posted 2002-02-26 02:48 PM

Thanks guys,
I've never been great at spelling, and spell check is my best friend.  I love you guys for taking the time to read through it....

~LCBS

Exeryone makes mistake, learn from them and move on, because tomorrow we'll make more...

TigerZ
since 2002-01-02
Posts 83
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2002-02-26 10:31 PM

awesome!!!  i love mythology or the way you did that...=) wow i really really loved it!  like said above, let us know how it turns out.

A life without love…is no life at all.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » This is a little poetry a little prose (not sure where to post)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary