navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » You Have To Learn
Teen Poetry #5
Post A Reply Post New Topic You Have To Learn Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
CowgirlFreedom17
since 2002-05-20
Posts 82
Mississippi

0 posted 2002-05-21 06:31 PM

You have to learn that most of the things you worry about usually don't come true.
You have to learn there comes a time when you can't just sit back and watch; you have to join.
You have to learn that pain is a part of life, but so is happiness.  Use them both at the right times.
You have to learn that you can't please everyone.  Why try?  Only be yourself to please the ones that really matter.
You have to learn that love is a risk, but so is getting out of bed in the morning.  You don't know how long you've got.
You have to learn that no matter how hard you try, you can't be perfect. There is no such thing.
You have to learn that life isn't bad unless you make it that way.
You have to learn that the way you look at yourself, isn't the way others see you.  This is because you know everything about yourself.  They dont.
You have to learn that friends aren't the people with the coolest clothes, but the people with the kindest heart.
You have to learn that color is only a way of making something special.
You have to learn that heartbreak causes a weakness that only makes you stronger.
You have to learn that if there was no fear, there would be no courage.
You have to learn that some things last forever, some maybe last a day, but memories last for eternity.

Don't hold back the words you really mean.

© Copyright 2002 Melissa Calvert - All Rights Reserved
kaile
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-02-06
Posts 5146
singapore
1 posted 2002-05-22 08:21 AM

hi cowgirl,

rather thought-provoking~enjoyed the thoughts that must have gone into creating this piece..comments as below...

You have to learn that love is a risk, but so is getting out of bed in the morning.  You don't know how long you've got.

this is my favourite..i really liked the way you said it..indeed, just the daily grind of life is a risk...

You have to learn that the way you look at yourself, isn't the way others see you.  This is because you know everything about yourself.  They dont.

i humbly beg to differ..you can't know everything about yourself because you may be reluctant to acknowledge your insecurities...there is always a chance that the people around you will teach you something that you don't know about yourself..

You have to learn that color is only a way of making something special.

i don't get this..do you mind explaining?

You have to learn that some things last forever, some maybe last a day, but memories last for eternity.

okay but i will play the cynical devil's advocate..memories don't last forever..people do forget (un)fortunately...

thanx for the chance to read and reply

CowgirlFreedom17
since 2002-05-20
Posts 82
Mississippi
2 posted 2002-05-22 03:43 PM

Thanks. Well, the part about knowing everything about yourself is literal...It's saying, you know more about the things you've done and your REAL thoughts than other do...therefore, sometimes people think certain ways and they look at themself badly for it..when others have NO clue what the person is thinking and thinks of them as great.
The color/special part is racism. People don't realize that almost everything and everyone has color...the colors vary, making everyone special in that way.
Thanks for the suggestions and tips.

Don't hold back the words you really mean.

xShUgArHiGhx
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-09-26
Posts 3150
tRyIn tO fIt iN2 mY oWn ShoEs
3 posted 2002-05-23 10:16 AM

Unfortunately or fortunately..not real sure...we all have a lot of learning to in order to grow. Some stuff i have no desire to learn but hey what are you gonna do ya kno? Great poem and made me think quite a bit. Thanks for sharing this with us!!

iTs bEeN 1 Of ThOsE dAyZ 4 2 MaNY dAyZ nOw..I jUst NeEd a DaY whErE tHe WOrLd cAn tAkE cArE of ItsElf..

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #5 » You Have To Learn

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary