navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » Salt's Good Night
Open Poetry #14
Post A Reply Post New Topic Salt's Good Night Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon

0 posted 2001-07-06 12:25 PM

Salt’s Good Night
Virginia Salter

Spent energies
spent day
sailing vessels converge
navigate jetty
turn backs to the sun
lower sails
glide into marina
slip away for night
as salt spray weeps
departure
day’s end

© July 10,  2000
The above poem was written at the same time as my recently posted "Evening's Begun."

© Copyright 2001 Virginia Salter - All Rights Reserved
Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
1 posted 2001-07-06 12:36 PM

You do write well about the sea.  Is that an old salt, or just a salty sailor?  
Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

2 posted 2001-07-06 12:51 PM

nice one VAS...and I agree you seem to write well of the sea..

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
3 posted 2001-07-06 01:06 PM

Thank you both!  I really don't know why I would, it must only be from books and movies, I've little of my own experience at sea.  The extent of what I've had of my own is a boat leaving Pearl Harbor, exiting its mouth and sailing with a tour group to the Arizona's place of commission and memorial. Rivers and lakes is my only other experience.

I've often thought it a most romantic activity to sail in a clipper, but am certain I'd be too chicken, should I be given opportunity. Now I'm speaking of 'romantic' in the literary sense not the erotic, wouldn't want those who get these terms mixed up to misunderstand what I mean here.  

I have read some Melville and Hemingway, but seen more film adaptations than have read.  But the sea is a romantic place and I often have wished to live on the coast of Maine, married to an author, or sister to an author in a tweed jacket, patched elbows and an ever-present pipe who enters the house in a slicker, closing the door of our cottage against the storm that roils the sea to thunderous spouting.  You see, I have the bug.  And now, I think I would be the author, but would still leave the slicker and the coming in from the weather to the male figure.  Vicariously enjoying the sea and its storm from inside...listening, dreaming.  Oops...this should probably find its spot in the prose shop, never been there, though.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

4 posted 2001-07-06 01:23 PM

(laughing) Perhaps you should write the story VAS..it seems to play in your mind well enough..just find the onflict and build in a little suspense..and you can take it anywhere you wish..

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » Salt's Good Night

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary