navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » A cautionary response to that scalawag Balladeer's poem about tenors!
Open Poetry #14
Post A Reply Post New Topic A cautionary response to that scalawag Balladeer's poem about tenors! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion

0 posted 2001-06-28 12:45 PM

Believe me, ladies, when I write of 'Deer's soaring voice,
It is with deepest sympathies, and I have no choice.
For when he sings, those dulcet notes that waver in the air,
Come from someone else, my dears, not from Balladeer!

His voice has often been compared to the sounds you make,
When your nails are firmly drawn across the blackboard slate.
His pitch is firm and unwavering, although it's undefined,
(Akin to what you would hear if the singing were only mine).

The songs he hums to himself as he works about his home,
Are likened to the sound you hear in an airplane's drone.
And when his song du jour breaks free from whence it should remain,
It's reminiscent of the sound of two colliding trains.

For Balladeer is a lyricist, par excellence in every way,
And that, I pray solemnly, is where he should concentrate
All his efforts to entertain, for as a vocalist he falls "flat"
With results that are comparable to a serenading cat.

He has a natural gift of verse; he's a Jack of the writing trades,
Wowing even his harshest critics with his odic fusillades.
But, believe me ladies, he has more power with his gifted pen
Than he could ever hope to wield with an oratorical bent.

So, before you swoon in your fantasies of balconies and moonlight,
And that devil Balladeer below, in his medievally fitted tights,
Remember my words of caution, given freely for your sake,
Save yourselves, my pretties, from a cacophoniously horrid fate.

On a more serious note... ah, heck, I can't be serious and have fun too!  Hello everybody.

[This message has been edited by LngJhnAg (edited 06-28-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Michael Waterman - All Rights Reserved
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
1 posted 2001-06-28 12:52 PM

ROFL....OMG.....oh, you bloody scalawag pirate ye be....this was too funny!

I know there may be some to take offense at parody and satire, but I love the stuff, and the ongoing semantical fencing 'twixt Toe, Deer and you has left many laughter lines scoring my oft sunburned cheeks.  

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
2 posted 2001-06-28 12:59 PM

ROFL ... oh, you have been seriously missed LongJohn!  
It's wonderful to have you "home" again!  

Wonderful rhythmic poem (and I look forward to watching for the response), LOL!  

Great to read you again,

Best wishes,
/Kit

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 06-28-2001).]

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

3 posted 2001-06-28 01:01 PM

(chuckling)...and your time will come I am sure to be on the other end of pointed pen..

very funny write and one I enjoyed a great deal.

Decaflame
since 2001-05-11
Posts 1635

4 posted 2001-06-28 01:15 PM

'Bout time you got yourself home, Boy!

Welcome back....

heh heh heh...

let the fun begin!

Sven
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 1999-11-23
Posts 14937
East Lansing, MI USA
5 posted 2001-06-28 01:15 PM

somebody want to get me some oxygen???  LOL  ROFL. . . this was just. . . oh. . . wow. . . LOL

Great job!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

To the world, you may only be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
6 posted 2001-06-28 01:37 PM

Hi ya, Alicat - It has been a very long time (it seems).  Thanks for the encouragement (naturally, I'll use it to shift blame away from me when 'Deer starts pointing fingers - heh).

Hi ya, Kit - Seeing responses that indicate laughter means a lot to me - I know there are lots of people in here who may be hurting, and I wish they weren't.  Laughter won't heal the hurts, but maybe it can make them dull for a spell.  I'm glad you and many of the others are still here.  Thanks for the very nice compliment about the rhythmic aspects of the poem.  I really do try to make it flow, even if I do write like 'Deer sings!

Hi, Cpat - We have not crossed trails before (I think), but I'm glad we have now.  I read your "Mend" poem - great stuff.  As for 'Deer - well, he is reluctant to rise to my gauntlet as he cannot bear to write something that doesn't have some meat in it.  Now, me, on the other hand - heh heh.

Decaflame - yanno, for some reason I feel we HAVE crossed trails before, but I haven't pinned down who you might be in my dim and distant past.  Thank you for the great 'welcome home'.  I really feel at home here.

Hey there, Sven - I see you still making us men look like pot-bellied, Playboy-reading, beer-swizzling, low-lifes while you bask in the distaff kudos.  hmmphhh....  I shoulda known you'd be here and thereby squelch my dreams of assuming your place at the top of the heap.  lol

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
7 posted 2001-06-28 02:04 PM

LongJohn~
Welcome home ...

Now you just have to know that Balladeer still sings my songs ! !

YOU are the scalawag for sure ...  
Good to see you in fine poetic form ~
*Hugs* to the sweet Lorelei~
Love ya'
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
                               noles1@totcon.com             

Interloper
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
8 posted 2001-06-28 02:08 PM

Huge grins.  I've not seen your works before.  I'm glad you are back to keep that blackguard in check  

[This message has been edited by Interloper (edited 06-28-2001).]

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
9 posted 2001-06-28 02:33 PM

For all those voyages you have been on, it's nice to see you finally slipping your sloop into the proper blue harbors, Sir!  Welcome Home!
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
10 posted 2001-06-28 02:37 PM

He he I hope the ladies take the advice to heart but I somehow think they won't. Perfect critique!
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
11 posted 2001-06-28 02:50 PM

Marge - (Big tears rolling down my face) - It was for you I composed this warning, and now I see I was too late to save you from that scalawag 'Deer!  I'm so sorry you weren't able to read this poem sooner.  Has he sung to you, yet?  Thanks for the warm welcome home.  You are all lady, and a terrific character, too!

Loper - At least he hasn't fooled everybody with his ne'er-do-well ways.  I see that you, too, understand his carousiveness - heh.  (Actually, he's a pretty nice guy, but he doesn't know I think this, as I'm writing in italics and he can't read Italian)

Lady - I have missed you.  I hope all is going well for you.  Take care.

ET - I know exactly what you mean.  All the women can think about is how pretty he writes.  They never for once consider how wicked he is.  Never!  Not once!  It is our fate that we, the really sweet guys, must take a back seat to him!  hmmpphhh - lol

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
12 posted 2001-06-28 03:24 PM

Well, well, hello there, and welcome home, I am the new kid on the block, but a bit of a rascal myself!  This was terrific and a perfect rebuttal to the dear "Deer", and I haven't heard him sing yet myself, but I have heard his melodious voice reciting me poetry, and it is not off key!  Wonderful poem, and really, really nice to meet you.

"Lose your temper and you lose a friend; lie and you lose yourself."
~ Hopi ~

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
13 posted 2001-06-28 03:39 PM

Thank you for the welcome home, Sharon.  I have been gone a long long time.  So far, it's been a good day.  The moderators have not callously slapped me down for my words of truth, yet.  heh heh.  I've read some of your work, and I enjoy you very much.  Your profession looks like a real candle-burner.  Yikes!  Tying all those loose ends together would drive me up a wall!  How do you find the time to write?
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
14 posted 2001-06-28 03:50 PM

WooHoo!  LJA!  Over here!  Welcome back!  It's been TOO LONG!!!!

And it's about time!

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
15 posted 2001-06-28 04:04 PM

Hey YOU! Where have you been?  We've missed ya - great to see your name pop back up.

And as for your poem 'bout the 'Deer -
heeeeerrrrrreeee we go again!

Corinne

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
16 posted 2001-06-28 04:13 PM

LMAO   .....oh my....great read and can't deny that I love it...but well can't deny either that Balladeer stole my heart too with his charming words.......Great to see you back here.

Charisma

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
17 posted 2001-06-28 04:20 PM

Oh, my God!! What now has risen from the depths of the sea?   I don't know how you got yourself untied from that anchor, sailor, but I guess I'm gonna have to deepsix you one more time! The only thing worse in this life from having you around is....not having you around. Welcome back, barnacled one  

As far as my voice is concerned, I sing like a bird...an ostrich IS a bird, isn't it?  

Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
18 posted 2001-06-28 04:27 PM

This was a riot!  Welcome back.  

Michael

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the human mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
19 posted 2001-06-28 04:29 PM

LngJhnAg, tell me it isn't so!!  You mean he.....and he did......and then he...... well, I didn't think he would ever.....
I guess I will start reading between the lines from now on.  Thanks for smarting me up with your words of wisdon.  Loved every word and the fun you gave it to us.  Welcome back,  ME

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
20 posted 2001-06-28 05:20 PM

LONG JOHN!!! You scurrilous, flea-bitten, scalawag of a stinkin' sailor.... It's so good to see you back around I'm gonna risk Lor's ire and give you a great big SMOOCH! *G* Welcome back!!!

And you came back with style! (We'll not discuss just what kind of style it is... *G*) My smile got wider with every line until I was ROFL... great job!!

Now if either of you fine gentlemen know where the missing member of your triumvirate is hiding... make suthern's day! *G*

[This message has been edited by suthern (edited 06-28-2001).]

Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands
21 posted 2001-06-28 05:47 PM

Well Long John, it's a real pleasure to meet you.
Glad I dropped by tonight, you made my day, as did Balladeer I must admit.

Two friends I do guess
Both with humor in their minds
The parade begins

Oh I do hope so!
TITIA

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Feel free to use the pictures on my website. http://communities.msn.com/Titiasplace&naventryid=100

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (edited 06-28-2001).]

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
22 posted 2001-06-28 06:05 PM

AHA my silver friend... There you are...

BIG SMOOCHES

Lorelie's right behind you, you say?
SMOOCHES for her too....

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
23 posted 2001-06-28 06:46 PM

Hi there Long John...SO good to see you, my friend...even if you are still badgering that darling man, deer...You have been missed, ya know? Thanks for the laugh!
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
24 posted 2001-06-28 07:23 PM

Now this is more like it..we ladies have surely been missing our poetic pirate!! Loved your poem sir.  
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
25 posted 2001-06-28 09:10 PM

I pledge allegiance to the pirate
and to whom I wholeheartedly thank
for writing perfect pedantry
and not making me walk the plank

Tis said a pirate's claim to fame
is his way charm and wit
so it is very telling that
this poem is such a hit!!!

Nice to read ya sir!  

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
26 posted 2001-06-28 09:51 PM

Hey - Mike... I'm confessing and apologizing here - I was messing around and screwed up one of your responses.. and I think I lost it... Mea Culpa.. I hope you still love me???...

If not, I'll take my 50 lashes...

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
27 posted 2001-06-28 11:48 PM

In all seriousness, now - the welcomes I have received truly make this old guy feel wimpy inside.  Thank you one and all very, very much.  I've been down of late, and your sweet words are the best medicine of all.  Thank you, thank you, thank you all.  
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
28 posted 2001-06-28 11:59 PM

As for you Nan, you need NEVER apologize to me - I think you are perfect in every way.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #14 » A cautionary response to that scalawag Balladeer's poem about tenors!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary