navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » One Tuesday morning
Dark Poetry #3
Post A Reply Post New Topic One Tuesday morning Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn

0 posted 2002-09-05 10:35 AM

I had started to write what I suspected may be poetry, just a short while before....

Before his clock ran down, in a small space beneath that mountain of cement, steel and glass. He surrendered to dust clogged lungs, hunger, thirst and countless small hurts

Before the last of her life seeped out of the place where she once had a leg. Separated from her by the jagged-sharp panel that now keeps her firmly placed

Before he was overtaken by the onrush of all that had been above him. Running down flights of stairs that would catch him, crush him and pass him on their way to the street

Before he chose to step out into a thousand feet of clear blue nothing and relished the sweet brief relief from the implacable inferno that ushered him to the window

Before she was reduced to just so much water vapor and particulate ash by the high-speed leviathan that smashed through her world, exploding with jet fuel

There was a woman on a plane, numb and exhausted from an eternal hour of living and reliving her life, from playing and replaying her future. Her mind running from fright, racing from terror, hiding from horror. (It can’t be true, this can’t be real.)
At the last, rocking slightly in her seat, unthinking and unseeing.

Couldn't help, but put myself with these poor souls.
Written Sept 12, 2001

~wranx

In reply to "which way do we go?", the answer was never "straight", but, "progressively forward".      

~wranx~

© Copyright 2002 E.F.Rose - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2002-09-05 12:17 PM

Lovely, angry words here, wranx. It's still too soon...

And now I suppose I'm going to have to share some of my Sept. 11th verse? There's one -- and this is scary -- called "Wednesday" that I wrote a month before Sept. 11, and it features two monoliths falling. Even more scary? The poem I wrote just following WAS ABOUT BURNING A CANDLE FOR THE DEAD!

I got freaked out last night when I opened an old document to find those, I guess, premonitions.

Elsewhere, after Sept. 11, I have plenty of poems. None of which I want to share yet. Too soon. Too soon.

Mike

[This message has been edited by bsquirrel (09-05-2002 12:18 PM).]

Ceinwyn
Member Elite
since 2000-07-09
Posts 2175
VA
2 posted 2002-09-05 12:17 PM

Kris

If at first you don't succeed destroy all the evidence that you tried.

WhileIWasGone
since 2002-07-18
Posts 486

3 posted 2002-09-05 09:34 PM

Nice work Ed...smooches

DeaDiAmore

brian sites
since 2002-06-25
Posts 1475
usa
4 posted 2002-09-06 12:30 PM

Ed,
I think we all put ourselves there
imprinted horror
that just doesn't seem a year ago
one hand? couple of months-that vivid
other hand? many years - that indelible to our fabric
I have never written anything about it
and may never
not sure how to articulate
that
ragehorrorgriefpainshockstunnedstare
at the television that morning
this piece, Ed?
painful but needed I think
thank you
brian

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #3 » One Tuesday morning

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary