navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Graduating
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic Graduating Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Ski*Chick
since 2001-01-13
Posts 141
Fitchburg, Mass, Usa

0 posted 2001-02-19 02:36 AM

Graduating.
We are leaving our friends today
We are saying our final words of wisdom
We are on stage.

We all look around the stage think is this really happening
Then they call our name’s one by one
It’s getting scary once it comes to your name.

We all had so many memories of school trips
Which we can’t forget the late nights, the talks
That night we say oh my gosh this is it.

You think about you and your friends
Saying good bye maybe forever
Maybe you’ll meet up with each other.

When you have to say your speech you have tears running in your eyes
Cause your leaving your friends that you spent all your life with
But you say your last words and say good bye to the school.

It’s the last day of school all your friends are scared, lost
You remember all those memories
Then you leave and never see them again.

Minna 17

© Copyright 2001 Minna - All Rights Reserved
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

1 posted 2001-02-19 02:51 AM

This poem is extremely notalgic to me. I remember this feeling all too well, even though I was not exactly a social person in school. I was indeed very scared, feeling like I was going on some long voyage or something, into the unknown.

As far as constructive critiques, I noticed that your grammar was not very good in this poem. For example, in your references to your musings and wonderings about whether or not this was happening, you ought to have punctuation marks. Also, you might want to have a consistant structure, perhaps a rhyme scheme of some sort.

Elvenblood
since 2001-02-17
Posts 409
Maine, USA
2 posted 2001-02-19 09:23 AM

Oh, I love it, i'm going to graduate 2 years after this one. OMG, reading that poem and imagining it happening is too much for me! Into the library it goes, and out it will come when it's time for me to be up on stage in a cap and gown. Thank you.

I'm not really one for critiqueing things. Umm...in truth, I think style, or construction is less that 5 percent of the quality of a poem. Always focus on truth, or emotion, or a storytelling. And it only has to make sense to YOU, unles you're worried others won't understand it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not." ~RFK

Acies
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-07
Posts 7665
Twilight Zone
3 posted 2001-02-19 03:26 PM

It's sometimes hard to realize that we have to move on in life. Memories just flew bye mye eyes when reading this poem. Just remember, there are more friends to meet in the future. love the poem Minna

So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this give life to thee." W.S.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
4 posted 2001-02-19 05:26 PM

Okay, that brought the tears to my eyes! I don't want to grad now! It's my turn this year, and it hadn't really hit home about not seeing my friends ever again... How am I going to live without them? It was a good poem, though!

"I am Canadian" - Joe
"When I find the right guy for me, I'll love him no matter what he does or what he's like"

HiddenSparklez
since 2000-12-29
Posts 190
British Columbia, Canada
5 posted 2001-02-19 07:45 PM

Great subject to write about. I'm graduating this year and all my friends were crying after first semester because we all had different schedules. It is going to be scary... and I'm still not sure how that day is going to hit me, but when it comes I hope it is like a stage ... a play that ends on a good note.

"You do what you do, you say what you say, you try to be everything to everyone... come on now, do that stupid dance for me" -Everclear

Shygirl82
since 2001-02-19
Posts 245
Ilinois
6 posted 2001-02-19 10:12 PM

Wow..great poem. It brought alot of my feelings that I had when I graduated back to me. It really touched me. Its amazing how fast time can fly..One day everyone is there..the next its time to say goodbye.
~Nikki~

Ski*Chick
since 2001-01-13
Posts 141
Fitchburg, Mass, Usa
7 posted 2001-02-19 10:24 PM

Thank you. It's going to be hard leaving Kelly and all my other friends.. Min

If someone hates you, they never loved you.

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
8 posted 2001-02-19 10:27 PM

I'm graduating this year myself......My thoughts about it are between not caring about anybody and just wanting to go....and missing my friends.......depends how deattached I am at the moment.

I liked this.

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » Graduating

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary