navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » God Will Rule The School!
Teen Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic God Will Rule The School! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
CwboyAtHeart
since 2001-04-14
Posts 541
Selah, WA, USA

0 posted 2001-04-14 04:27 PM

God Will Rule The School!

We can talk about evolution,
Microorganisms, garbage and pollution,
But when we mention God,
The school considers the Lord a fraud
I bow my head in constant prayer
But people stare from everywhere

Where’s the Christ in Christmas?
We draw pictures of Santa Clause,
But what’s the real cause?
It is the day that Christ was born
That meaning they did forlorn

We learn of Darwin’s theory
Of Evolution
But never hear of the
Christian’s solution
Bibles were practically banned
The science books seemed so grand.

The bible’s message and Christ’s name
May be banished, burnt with flame
Schools may not see God’s word to be cool
To bring God here to school
May make me look like a fool
But with me, God is gonna rule!

- Cody

© Copyright 2001 C.K.N. - All Rights Reserved
IsGona
since 2000-07-14
Posts 723

1 posted 2001-04-14 05:48 PM

Howdy cowboy... hehe I always wanted to say that.
First off your poem was really good.  Very well writen and organized.  And I very happy that you have found a faith that works for you, but (oh god here comes the but) I think that schools should be seperate from religion.  One of the founding properties of the US was freedom of religion.  I think that people forget that The US is not a christian country, we are not or should not be associated with any religion, however I realize that we do tend to be.  But a public shcool is for the ENTIRE public.  This is what private schools are for.  I understand one argument that you made... about evolution being taught in schools.  Perhaps this infringes upon your believes, and I can understand your point of view, however I still side with the way things are.  Evolution is based on earthly things that can be studied and interpreted any way you want.  Religion on the other hand is purly about faith.  This may offend some people, but Darwen's Theory is becoming less and less of a theory and becoming more and more factual.  Not teaching it would be like not teaching what we have learned so from far from our DNA and genetic research.  I don't know, don't let me take away from your poem.  It was really really awsome and you make some valid points. But I am fairly convinced that religion should be seperated from public schools. Just my opinion, not yours.

Again nice poem cowboy  
Jason

Child of the Stars
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-09-07
Posts 1658
Ann Arbor, MI
2 posted 2001-04-14 05:59 PM

Good poem....could say more but choose not to.
  ~Carly

There are pleasures in poetic pains that only poets know......~Unknown

Linc
since 2001-03-07
Posts 552
The Backstreet Boy
3 posted 2001-04-14 06:43 PM

Hey,

This is a really nice poem.

-- Linc

"Once you reach your original goal it seems that the journey was your real accomplishment."

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
4 posted 2001-04-14 08:13 PM

I am 100% with Jason on this subject... too bad he was the first to make the big speech.  
I remember being seven years old, in first grade, and being sent to the office for refusing to say the Lord's prayer with the rest of my class.  Public schools are no place for a religion to be taught, simply because there are people in the school who are not members of the religion.  It is not easy being a part of the minority, looking around and seeing the whole class bowing their head in prayer.  
School is a place for learning about factual information.  If you want somewhere to learn about God, you always have church, right?  
Oh, and not a bad poem.  Hope to see you in here more.
~Allan

Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day.  Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.  
~Unknown

Ina
since 2000-10-09
Posts 1236
Quebec, Canada
5 posted 2001-04-14 08:37 PM

this was a great poem Cody. well done. i dont know if i totally agree with they  boys and girls here....lol

Regina

a small cut is only the beggining of a life in pain

Lakewalker
Member Elite
since 2000-08-05
Posts 3289
On the streets w/ people
6 posted 2001-04-14 09:02 PM

My opinion is the teachers shouldn't teach any specific religion but students should be free to practice whatever they want.  Nice job on the poem.

"Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle" Plato.  
Ever tried the Teen Explorer Forum?

Dopey Dope
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2000-08-30
Posts 11132
San Juan, Puerto Rico
7 posted 2001-04-15 02:08 AM

Well......I am a VERY spiritual person. I believe in God....and I thought your poem rocked. I disagree though that religion should be practiced in school. It's funny when I tell people how spiritual I am and then they notice how I am offended when a person of my same religion comes and talks to me about God. I have no idea, but I feel it's a PERSONAL issue....
I'd be offended if I was forced to pray and the like when I didn't want to pray.
Note: I do believe in God....that was stated, I just feel it's my own personal time with him that counts....
anyhow....great poem!

I was born myself, raised myself, and will continue to be myself. The world will just have to adjust.

I'm in love with my shadow
I admire it daily

IsGona
since 2000-07-14
Posts 723

8 posted 2001-04-15 09:48 AM

Lake is on the money.  I think any and every religion should be able to be practiced openly without ridicule, as long as it dosn't infringe on the believes are other.
well put lake
Jason

Fading Away
Member Elite
since 2001-03-14
Posts 3131
Lynchburg, Virginia
9 posted 2001-04-15 10:16 AM

I agree with Javi.  I have a deep belief in God, but I think that everyone should have their personal spiritual time on their own time.  Religion in schools isn't needed.

--Marie

subconsciously, i think i can eat so much to make my stomach hurt, instead of my heart.

Spice
since 2001-04-13
Posts 1266
Resting in my cardboard box.
10 posted 2001-04-16 01:38 PM

I liked your poem very much. It takes courage to stand up for what you believe in. But, I believe religion should be kept out of school. What if the majority or people at your school believed in Buddha and demanded he be woshiped openly...would you appreciate it? School is for learning. Studying different religions and theorys is one thing- having to listen to the Lords Prayer over the intercom every morning is another.

Religion is a freedom of choice. If you want to have Christianity in school be prepared to have other religions demanding the same courtesy.

CwboyAtHeart
since 2001-04-14
Posts 541
Selah, WA, USA
11 posted 2001-04-21 02:23 AM

I agree with you all.  But I think that the school should be open to letting us have a bible study...  I wrote this when the school was trying to shut us out of being able to have a bible study...  I personally don't think that it's right for religion to be required in schools, but I believe that a moment of silence in a school day wouldn't be a problem to have.  As it is, teachers teach about Darwin, and they expect you to take it as fact.  I personally don't think that Evolution is wrong, but there are many people who do.  The Science classes don't take into concideration that what the bible says about Creation is historically correct.  

Just thought that I'd let you all know that you're right, and religion shouldn't be taught and required in schools.  However, all too often is Religion totally shut out from schools, and the laws keep closing down further and further on things such as a before or after school bible study.  Is it that bad that students can talk about God before or after school, using the school's facilities?  You don't have to agree, but that's just what I think.

Thank you all for the comments on the poem.

- Cody -

Living From Memories
Living From Thoughts
There Are Some Things In Live
That Cannot Be Taught

Angel Bee
since 2001-01-30
Posts 176
Virginia
12 posted 2001-04-21 11:43 AM

I enjoyed this poem, I thought it was great. Keep writing! :o)
~ab~

*~Sometimes just holding hands is holding on to everything.~*

AngelPoet87
since 2001-04-21
Posts 280
Indy
13 posted 2001-04-21 11:57 AM

Whether or not I agree with the subject matter, this poem is STILL great!!

~ali

2Good
+2Be
------
4Gotten

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #4 » God Will Rule The School!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary