navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Despair
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic Despair Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon

0 posted 2001-03-07 12:03 PM

Despair
Virginia Salter

Is that where
we are?

Must we go on
from here?

Can we turn back?
Or skip over this piece of history?

Will we find a place,
a place of peace
again,
somewhere?

Safety in numbers
unless the numbers
are for counting
adding
subtracting
learning.

Where are more shootings these days?

Banks, where money draws?

Parks,
where visitors pause?

No,
in the land of ABC,
in the crib
of 123,

that’s where
we might meet our destiny.

Will you play hopscotch with me?

© March 7, 2001

© Copyright 2001 Virginia Salter - All Rights Reserved
Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
1 posted 2001-03-07 01:26 PM

VAS - you asked, "Will you play hopscotch with me?" My answer is yes, if it would help answer some of the questions.

BC

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
2 posted 2001-03-07 01:55 PM

I think the last line transpired with a two-fold feeling...a wish to go back to one's childhood, the time of my childhood, when school was a safe place to be. The most worrisome thing, 'board' of education, hurt feelings, thrown rocks or punches. Then it also had a feeling of forboding...would you be willing to step on the school grounds with me, a teacher, taking chances with one's own life and making right choices to keep others safe?

thanks for your response...I don't know if your joining me would answer the questions, but I'd have company while dealing with them, eh?

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
3 posted 2001-03-07 01:59 PM

Miss Virginia...a sad write fraught with innuendos...all fully understood. However, the impact of the piece would have done much better without that little icon, don't you think? But that's me. I like simplicity in a poetic piece. The sadness of this true event reaches out and touches us all.
walker
Member Elite
since 2001-02-11
Posts 2240
Florida
4 posted 2001-03-07 02:49 PM

Vas, is truly sad that our children have to go through the things are in the news these days. And like hopscotch,you never know where it can fall. its too bad, that we have to write about these things, but well expressed.
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

5 posted 2001-03-07 02:51 PM

Yes, I would love to play hopscotch and go back to a childhood, a new one! Yesterday, I played checkers. I enjoyed this!!

Kathleen Blake

"When red-haired girls scamper like roses over the rain-green grass,
and the sun drips honey."
Laurie Lee

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
6 posted 2001-03-07 04:09 PM

Thanks, all, and Lady in White, I fully agree, I should have dispensed with the icon. Don't know for sure what made me do it.
Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
7 posted 2001-03-08 12:59 PM

Hi Vas,

This has been a hard few days for my girls, it hit so close to home and being older and more obseverent they have had this on their minds alot, they have had questions and its so hard sometimes to answer them, they did say there glad they do home schooling and so am I, you did very well with this piece thank you,

Love, Cerenity

"God doesn't have to be reminded that we exist.
We have to be reminded that He exist!"

(Writer Unknown)

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
8 posted 2001-03-08 08:17 AM

Viginia love, Wonderful piece of writing from you, the questions with no real answers. But I'm there in spirit with you standing on the line. Beautiful work here love, excellent flow and content
Take care love as always
Mushy

Take back the hope you gave,- I claim
Only a memory of the same
Robert Browning

JCGF
since 2001-01-19
Posts 72
MA
9 posted 2001-03-08 09:19 AM

I enjoyed this one VAS. Ah, yes. I remember when school was a safe place to be. What is safe anyway? Thanks for the read.

Tammy

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
10 posted 2001-03-08 09:38 AM

Can we "skip over this part of history?" I wonder how many souls have asked that question. You have read the minds of many with this poem. How great it would be to curl back up into the security blanket of childhood.
Very interesting thoughts
Liz

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
11 posted 2001-03-08 09:54 AM

Thanks, all for reading. And Elizabeth...I know you're surely speaking of 'our' childhoods as today's childhood doesn't seem to hold nearly the security we were afforded. Not to mention, kids are ever increasingly being forced to grow up faster and faster.

It can all be very sad. When I was 18, my folks were hard-pressed to leave me overnight so a friend came and stayed with me. Today, kids are latch-key and are left overnight at the age of 11. It's sad.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Despair

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary