navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Moonlight Shadows Dancing
Open Poetry #12
Post A Reply Post New Topic Moonlight Shadows Dancing Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song

0 posted 2001-02-21 05:08 AM

*        Native        *
*...\...\/..../\..../.../....\/..\..../...*
*..\.....\/.../\.../..\/...../\.../../\...\...../....*
american folk-lore says that by hanging a dream catcher
*....\....../*\.../\..../.../...../\...\/..../\.../.../\..........*
above a person while they sleep,  all the bad dreams will become
*.....\..\/...../\....../\....\/..../\...../......\/...../\......../../..*
entangled in it's web but all good dreams will be allowed to pass on
*......\/...../.....\/./\......../\......./\..../../\.../.../....../\....*
through and slide down the feathers to a  person sleeping ... while
*..../......\/....../\...../...\......\...\/..../\......./......../.*
  all the bad dreams will melt in the rise of morning sun
*..\..\/..../..../\...../\../....../....../../\.../...*
*..\../\...../.....\/..\./\../..../....\/../..*
*        Tradition{}      *
              {}

will
      test

{}

the

{}

time
      of legend
      with the birth
      of each child as
      it is born into the
      earthly passing of a
      memory  resting  in
      the hearts of many
      souls  where  life
      gave   meaning
      and     blood
      was    left
      to    die

Moonlight Shadows Dancing

~~~~~~*~~~~~~
Laced in the threads of dreams in a night
You shall find moonlight shadows dancing
Flaunting their colors in darkness of plight
Finding the path to feathered enhancing

Songs of buffalo raised in clouds of dust
Rising to the orchestra of swirling breeze
Antelope harmonize to the tune of trust
Prancing in the eye of those they please

Owl of white guards the abandoned sky
With wisdom of honor in spirit's trance
Releasing the world to the eagle's eye
As daybreak blazes a path to the dance

Leaves mark history in whispers of oak
Banded as one in the rings of a nation
Having heard the tales this night spoke
I awake in peace ... to their celebration

Mark Bohannan

[This message has been edited by Mark Bohannan (edited 02-21-2001).]
© Copyright 2001 Mark Bohannan - All Rights Reserved
Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
1 posted 2001-02-21 05:17 AM

Mark, I love the graphics. And the poem brings many lovely pictures to my mind. I don't think I could chose a favourite verse. Beautifully written, again.
Dee

I wish you every happiness and pray you'll always have the best of the good things in life. a brand

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
2 posted 2001-02-21 06:41 AM

Bravo....words fail me....

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
3 posted 2001-02-21 06:52 AM

Very cool Mark...you wove the words that
legends around the campfire are made of.
Great work my friend~

"I wish the real world would just stop
Hasseling me!"
Real World MB20

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
4 posted 2001-02-21 07:53 AM

O-gi-na-li ~

Gv-ge-yu-hi ~

Wado~
~*White Feather*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida
5 posted 2001-02-21 09:45 AM

Mark,
You poetic artist you! Ok, so may I request you "draw" one for me?

Love it!
Deb

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
6 posted 2001-02-21 09:46 AM

Very special, Mark. Your goodness shines through.
Sandra

Puck
since 2001-02-21
Posts 14
Oberon's Palace
7 posted 2001-02-21 11:05 AM

This is truly fabulously beautiful, I should really like to keep this if I may. All those dream fairies will be green with envy, when I fly in with this. Really beautiful

I'd offer you some of my magic dust but you have a magic pen.

Iam that merry wanderer of the night
I jest to Oberon, and make him smile
Puck

VAS
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-16
Posts 7450
Oregon
8 posted 2001-02-21 11:13 AM

The entire time I was reading this, learning the intricacies of the legen of the dream catcher more greatly than I knew them before, I couldn't help but consider the perseverance in the time and effort it took to post this beauty. It is a beauty even without the words, Mark. Bravo and this was a fantastic labor of love!
CocoBaci
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 3043

9 posted 2001-02-21 12:30 PM

Well you got me speechless on this one PoetFriend and I must show my lil one when she returns home this afternoon since she believes in the 'dreamcatchers' and she has one hanging-up in her bedroom...
I'm sure she'll enjoy the visual as well as the content you excellently penned...
Thank you for the delightful read...
~coco~

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
10 posted 2001-02-21 02:26 PM

Absolutely exquisite! The dream catcher enthralled me with its beauty before I ever reached the poem... and what a wonderful path you chose to meet the challenge! I'm stuck somewhere between effusiveness and stunned silence... so I'll simply whisper beautiful!

[This message has been edited by suthern (edited 02-21-2001).]

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
11 posted 2001-02-21 05:07 PM

Mark,

Dream like imagery in folkloric style.... creative and I even learned something about the dream catcher. I particularly liked the Native American feel of your poem and I am proud to know one who keeps the legend alive through his poetry.... Thank you for giving me a moment to dream, to be a member of a world whose lives are one with God and nature, and to have an opportunity to join in their celebration. Bob <><

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
12 posted 2001-02-21 06:09 PM

Mark this is beautiful and I know you well enough to know my dear poet friend that this came from the deepest part of your heart and for that I thank you...it's just wonderful Mark.....I really have strong feelings about this myself and I'm always glad to find someone else that does also.

Initially many of the Euorpeans who first arrived in the American Northeast were met with kindness and co-operation from the natives. One account says: "Without the aid of the Powhatans, the British settlement at Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English colony in the new world, would not have lasted through it's first terrible winter of 1607-08. Similarly, the Pilgrim colony, at Plymouth, Massachusetts,
might have failed except for help from the Wampanoags. Some natives showed the immigrants how to fertilize the soil and grow crops. And how successful would the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-06 to find a practical transportation link between the Lousiana territory and what was called the Oregon counrty-have been without the the help and intervention of the Shoshone woman Sacagawea? She was their token of peace when they came face to face with the indians.

Yet what happened?
When the American Civil War broke out (1861-65) it drew soldiers away from Navajo country in the southwest. What did the Navajo do to gain bitter ends for all the cruelty heaped upon them? They took advantage of this respite to attack American and Mexican settlements in the Rio Grande Valley in New Mexico territory. The government sent in Colnel Kit Carson and his Mexico volunteers to supress the Navajo and move them to a reservation on a barren strip of land called Bosque Redondo. Carson pursued a scorched-earth policy to starve and drive the Navajo out of the awesome Canyon de Chelly, in Northeast Arizona. He even destroyed more than 5000 peach trees.
Carson gathered together some 8000 people to take the "Long Walk" of about 300 miles to the Bosque Redondo detention camp at fort Sumner, New Mexico. The weather was bitterly cold and many of the ill-clad under-fed exiles died along the way. The conditions at the reservation were terrible! The Navajo had to gouge holes out of the ground to find refuge. In 1868 after realizing its crass blunder the government granted the Navajo 3.5 million acres of their ancestral homeland in Arizona and New Mexico. They went back but what a price they had been forced to pay!

Between 1820 and 1845 tens of thousands of Choctaw, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Creeks and Seminoles were driven from their lands in the southeast and were forced to march westward, beyond the Mississipi River, to what is now Oklahoma, hundreds of miles away. In cruel winter conditions, many died! The forced march westward became infamous as the "TRAIL OF TEARS"

The injustices committed against Native Americans are confirmed by the words of the American General George Crook..."The Indians' side of the case is rarely ever heard.. then when the Indian outbreak does come, public attention is turned to the indians, their crimes and atrocities alone are condemned, while the persons whose injustice has driven them to this course ...escape scot free!....no one knows this better than the Indian, therefore he is excusable in seeing no justice in a government which only punishes him, while it allows the white man to plunder him as he pleases" From the book"Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee.'

We are accountable for a lot my friend a lot!

The poet is like a cocoon; in him the caterpillar of the past finds rest, and from him the butterfly of the future emerges.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

13 posted 2001-02-21 06:15 PM

Laced in the threads of dreams in a night
Finding the path to feathered enhancing
=====================
Owl of white guards the abandoned sky
With wisdom of honor in spirit's trance
Releasing the world to the eagle's eye
As daybreak blazes a path to the dance

Leaves mark history in whispers of oak
Banded as one in the rings of a nation
Having heard the tales this night spoke
I awake in peace ... to their celebration
===================

your so cool Mr Bohannan you dont even know it
this came out awesome baby...
and was worth the wait and work (easy for me to say) LOL
the dreamcatcher is so creative and cool ...
and the poem...
well ... its like your poetic signature..
imagery and cadence kissed with the respect
and admiration you have for a part of all our pasts.
and a very unique turn of theme on the moonlight shadows phrase as well.

"Leaves mark history in whispers of oak
Banded as one in the rings of a nation"

very cool indeed ...the post and the poet

Love is my religion, I believe in nothing else.
To find that inspiration, live that inner vision.
Love is my religion...I believe in you.
~T Kimmel

snowpants
Member Elite
since 2000-09-16
Posts 2061
KS
14 posted 2001-02-21 06:18 PM

'Laced in the threads of dreams in a night
Finding the path to feathered enhancing'

Mark, I'm just gonna agree with everyone else by saying that this is an exquisite work of art! Excellent poem, my dear friend! Boy, do you have a lot of patience!

sp

everytime I close my eyes, I see your face, I taste you on my lips...
every night I fantasize that I can feel you on my fingertips...

Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
15 posted 2001-02-21 07:33 PM

Mark, I am ashamed to say I kept passing this by! This is so beautiful and you put so much into its beauty. I want to say to ethome that the white man doesn't have a whole lot to be proud of. Sorry for that.
Hugs, ME

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
16 posted 2001-02-21 07:54 PM

Mark...your spirit shines in this lovely poem...Hugs!
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

17 posted 2001-02-21 09:56 PM

Now tell me THESE aren't way cool ...
These ARE for sure GROOOVY

Love is my religion, I believe in nothing else.
To find that inspiration, live that inner vision.
Love is my religion...I believe in you.
~T Kimmel

[This message has been edited by Janet Marie (edited 02-21-2001).]

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
18 posted 2001-02-22 01:24 PM

Dee-Thank you so much. I am very happy that you enjoyed it.

Karilea-I do hope that the loss of words is because you liked it and not that you found it to be not of your liking. Thank you.

Holly-Campfires????????? Cool, I had forgotten about those a bit. Well, not
totally, how could I forget the marshmellows tangled in the hair and wondering just how you did that. LOL Thank you my friend. I won't tell if you don't.

Marge- O-gi-na-li , gv-li-e-li-ga a gi na `tse `li wado, Gv-ge-yu-hi

Deb-I have been working on one that I KNOW you will like but you may have to wait a bit. I have not given up on it and I WILL get it done so you may claim the drawing as soon as I do. Thank you much.

Sandra-Any goodness you see is greatly appreciated and I do thank you dearly.

Marsha-Thank you and if you wish to keep it then please feel free.

VAS-YOU HAVE NO IDEA ....LOL The original was no problem but I did have to add the ...'s to make it work in the forum even though the preview showed it would without them. I found myself with an egg twice before so had to keep reworking it. Thank you for the comments and I am glad you learned something from it.

Coco-Please let me know how she liked it. I am glad you found it worthy to share and I thank you for your always wonderful responses to me and my works.

suthern-Stuck could get you into alot of fun trouble ya know. If you ever decide to pour out instead of whisper in silence then I promise to listen. LOL Egos ya know. Thank you much my friend and I am glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the whispers.

Lighthousebob-Thank you for appreciating it and you know you don't need an invitation to sit at the table with me at any time. It is and will always be my pleasure and honor. Thank you much.

ethome-Yes it did come from the depths of my heart and I am truely glad to see that it has an effect on you so deeply as well. Thank you for sharing so much of your heart in this piece and for the sharing of the info as well. You are a man of many wonders and I am grateful to have a friend such as you within these walls.

JM-Well, we have talked about this for how long now???????????? CHeeezzzzzzz, sometimes it just falls into place when the right words are said. Do ya think it was meant to be that way? I believe so. Thank you for noticing the work in the poem and for you wonderful gifts of the dreamcatchers. Hugs sweetie.

snowpants-Patience?????? What's up with that??????? What the heck is it anyway? Thank you much my friend and I am glad you liked it as well. Means much to have you enjoy my works.

ME-Why be ashamed?? There is no shame here and no cause to be ashamed for passing within these walls and I am only grateful that you found a realization in all of this. There is nothing that can be done to erase the future but we do dishonor it by trying to bury it and that is one of the reasons for this piece. Thank you much for stopping by.

Martie-As long as you catch some of the rays then I am honored and very happy. Thank you much my dear friend.

JM-Now who has too much time on their hands?? LOL Thanks puddlepuff!!!

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
19 posted 2001-02-22 02:05 PM

Mark~ fantastic poem........I loved the feelings it gave me.........I have a dream catcher too...... very very nice SEA
Voiceless
since 2001-02-19
Posts 686
Under the stars upon the wind
20 posted 2001-02-22 02:11 PM

The imagery is beautiful and inviting..
A great poem!

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
21 posted 2001-02-22 02:17 PM

Hmmmm... so whispers aren't acceptable? LOL Dang!!! And here I thought I had that sultry voice stuff down pat. *G* Okay... just for your ego *G*

This is fantastic, Mr. Bohannan!

jellybeans
Member Elite
since 2000-10-13
Posts 2298

22 posted 2001-02-22 02:21 PM

sybil here reporting for duty

ok jb here too...gotta say this is beautiful...excellent in every sense of poetry...oh and can I ditto suthern? she loves it when I do...*very knowing look*

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
23 posted 2001-02-22 09:06 PM

oooopssssssss ....... lol

[This message has been edited by suthern (edited 02-22-2001).]

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
24 posted 2001-02-22 09:09 PM

SEA-Thank you so much. I am glad it left you with a good feeling and I hope your dream catcher brings you many wonderful dreams in your mornings.

Voiceless-Thank you so much. I am glad you took the invite to come in and read.

suthern-Now I didn't say whispers weren't acceptable and you do have that voice down pat but are we supposed to advertise it like that? LOL

jellybeans-Yes, you may ditto her as long as you don't yell in my only good ear left. LOL Thank you so much sybil, er I mean jb....I truely appreciate it and I know you meant well in trying to help our friend with the number gain but alas ...

suthern-oooppppppss?????????? whatever do you mean???

CocoBaci
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 3043

25 posted 2001-02-22 10:23 PM

Mark, while my lil one was at the computer late this afternoon, I brought her here to see your poem and this is what she said to me (now remember this comes from the lips of a 6 year old)...
"he's good mama can you do one like that for me" I started to giggle and proceeded to tell her "there's only one like this so let's place this poem in my library" so please accept my thanks PoetFriend, for once again, you not only bring joy to the adults who read your poetry but also to my cherished lil one...

coco

jellybeans
Member Elite
since 2000-10-13
Posts 2298

26 posted 2001-02-23 02:44 PM

rofg@'sutherns' goof....do we now have a sybil no. 2????rofg
........thanks for the smiles
you know I feel like I am her right hand, so when she smiles I do too...

shadow of poetry
since 2000-07-22
Posts 76
midwest usa
27 posted 2001-02-25 12:03 PM

hey cowboy poet this is fantastic
i'm over visiting seeeestur and wanted to see your latest work of art
jan told me i would love it and i do
i collect dream catchers.
this is very clever artwork with words and the poem is a perfect companion to the dreamcatcher design.
i will add this to my collection
great to get to read ya again my friend

my sister is the poet
I am but a shadow.
by the light of poetry
I read then dream

Moon Dust
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
28 posted 2001-02-25 12:10 PM

A dream catcher, I have one of these And not had bad dream yet lovely write

~FKA Maria Byrne~

Saunni
since 2000-07-11
Posts 1777
West Virginia
29 posted 2001-02-25 12:25 PM

Mark, goodness,I don't have the words for this one. It is amazingly beautiful! God sure has blessed you with a wonderful talent and you can tell the thoughts and words come easily to you. Thanks for the great read, my friend.

Sauni

Sauni :)
Have you ever known the color grey when the nighttime finds you weak
I have, I've walked that road each time; that's where my angel sleeps

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
30 posted 2001-02-25 10:58 PM

Coco-Thank you so much for sharing that sweet comment with me. That makes writing this poem worth while regardless of anything else. I am so glad your lil one enjoyed it and for you to keep it in your library is a great honor. Thank your little one for me also and give a big hug from this cowboy.

jellybeans-Sybil #2???????? Please tell me it ain't so!!! LOL Her right hand huh? Now I WILL definitely have to remember that for those special circumstances when it could be important to know.

Trish-Thanks there lil sis of JM fame........ it is always so nice to see you in here and you know that I have been missing you terribly. Thank you for the wonderful words and I told JM to give you a kiss for me......make sure she does okay!!! hugs

Moon Dust-I am glad your dream catcher is working so well for you. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.

Saunni-Thank you my dear friend. I am glad you enjoyed it and yes God has given me more than I deserve in many areas and I hope that I can always use the gifts in ways that please him.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

31 posted 2001-03-07 10:03 AM

lookie at what I found

suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
32 posted 2001-03-07 04:07 PM

I'm glad JM found those additional pics... a poem of perfection is a place to visit again and again... And I'll go back to whispering my awe out of respect for your hearing. *G* But this is a keeper of highest quality. *S*
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
33 posted 2001-04-06 11:22 PM

WOW~I can hardly wait for you to come back too, and darn, I did not even know you were gone as I am the new kid on the block.  I am pretty impressed here Mr. Bohannan, and can't wait for more (going to archives) lol.

~*~ I write, therefore I am ~*~

Mabel A. Dilley
since 2001-03-17
Posts 859
Seattle, WA, USA
34 posted 2001-04-07 09:47 AM

Fantastic work of art, and quite aside from that dedication in execution of such a visual delight.

"I am not now that which I have been."

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

35 posted 2001-04-09 06:09 PM

Again...on Marks behalf... thank you kindly for the lovely compliments.  
Martini
since 2000-07-11
Posts 308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
36 posted 2001-04-11 09:19 PM

Mark
This was wonderful!!
An enjoyment to read, as all your poems are.

Steph

"In three words I can sum up everything I learned about life: It Goes On"
~Robert Frost

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #12 » Moonlight Shadows Dancing

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary