navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Of Christmas Past, Present, and Future
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic Of Christmas Past, Present, and Future Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA

0 posted 2001-01-04 09:57 AM

I feel I can't post this poem without a bit of a forward to it, sorry about that, but I promise to try not to ramble here  
For those who don't know my story...a brief explanantion. I spent 17 years in an abusive marriage before getting the courage to leave. In the two years since, I've done a great deal of healing and have had the fortune of meeting a wonderful man who is soon to become my husband.
Christmas in my past life was usually not a pleasant or cheerful occasion, it seemed that holidays were always the worst. This Christmas, I had the joy of spending Chrismas in a relaxing, comforting atmosphere and although I loved every minute of it, there were still tears...tears for the wasted Christmas' past and tears of joy for this Christmas and Christmas' to come. I've come to the understanding that tears and laughter both are very healing. I've had my share of both over the past year or so and the healing continues thanks to my friends here, my family, and yes, of course, Rodger. God bless you all  

Of Christmas Past, Present, and Future

It’s Christmas
and we celebrate the day
laying in each other’s arms,
legs intertwined, talking
about Christmas’ to come;
while I try to forget
Christmas’ past.
The memories of shouted words
and hands raised in anger
are now only a dull ache
where once the wounds seeped
with bitterness.

He wipes away a tear
that has found its way
from my brimming eyes
to land in a puddle upon his cheek
and pulls me closer
to kiss away the drops before they fall.
Somehow, he instinctively knows
where my mind is,
although he’s only shared those memories
through my words.
“Shhh..,” he whispers,
“let’s think about the future.”

But in the present,
safe within his arms,
I let the tears fall;
washing away the pain
and think of this Christmas
as a time of healing.

What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compaired to what lies within us.
[url] http://www.angelfire.com/pa/OriginalMinds/index.html

© Copyright 2001 Ruth Kephart - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2001-01-04 10:04 AM

"a time of healing" indeed...

Well done, and many hugs surround you...

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
2 posted 2001-01-04 10:51 AM

Sometimes it's hard to look back and see anything but the pain... but something positive came from all those years - From a situation that so often creates bitterness and despair, you brought compassion, empathy, and hope... and an appreciation for life and love that was forged in fear. This is beautiful, Hoot... and so are you! *S*
jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
3 posted 2001-01-04 10:56 AM

The years behind are memories now and should stay there...the present and the future is what you now live. Glad it's working as it should for you my friend.  May all your future be filled with love and warmth.

Great write...

jwesley

Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
4 posted 2001-01-04 11:18 AM

My Dearest Lady Hoot,

This is trully a piece of art for it gave me belief that some day I too might be blessed with a bright and happy furture, time passes so quickly and I always feel I will run out of time before that day when a smile is not forced, I am so very happy for your new blessings in life and wish you the very best in the furture, thank you so much for sharing this.

Love, Cerenity

"God doesn't have to be reminded that we exist.
We have to be reminded that He exist!"

(Writer Unknown)

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
5 posted 2001-01-04 05:19 PM

Sunshine, Suthern, Jwesley, and Cerinity...thank you all so much. Here's to better days ahead  
Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
6 posted 2001-01-04 07:44 PM

hoot-So glad you are here to tell the story and happy for you finding a man to share this time to heal.  You are a beautiful person, I wish you much happiness.
Daniel J D
since 2000-10-01
Posts 1471
Hillcrest, Queensland, Australia
7 posted 2001-01-04 08:27 PM

Wishing you all the very best. Great work here.

Respond to my call and let the waves of my heart fill your life with the wonders of love
(Daniel J D)

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

8 posted 2001-01-04 08:31 PM

I know exactly what you mean, Ruth. You have expressed it sooooo beautifully! I wish you and Rodger a world of joy and many merry Christmases together!! HUGS

Denise

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
9 posted 2001-01-04 08:40 PM

HootieGal~
This is an enlightening piece that takes great courage to share.

I would hope that others who read it realize that
it isn't 'just a poem' -
it's a light that has been given a chance to shine.

You are a survivor and can touch many others
with the hope found in your words.
God bless you in your newfound happiness, my friend.
*Hugs*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
10 posted 2001-01-04 09:48 PM

Wonderful writing, Ruth...the pain of the past Christmases will fade much quicker than the joy of the future ones will last....I am VERY happy for both of you and wish you the very best!!  
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
11 posted 2001-01-05 04:17 PM

Marge, Denise, Balladeer, Gemini, and Dan...thank you all for your kind comments. It's been a long time getting to this point, but a wonderful place to be  
Marge...I hope to one day be an inspiration to others who've been where I once was. A survivor, yes, but I'd rather think of myself as an overcomer  

What lies behind us and lies before us are small matters compaired to what lies within us.
[url] [URL=http://www.angelfire.com/pa/OriginalMinds/index

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
12 posted 2001-01-05 09:59 PM

May ever day be Christmas for you, Ruth...
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
13 posted 2001-01-06 08:50 AM

Nan...thank you my friend  
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
14 posted 2001-01-06 09:00 AM

I am sorry to hear that Christmas was not always a time of joy for you and also about the abusive marriage. It is wonderful to hear that times are happier now, I hope that there are many more joyful christmas' to come for. A very well written written poem, thank you for sharing. Take care. and may all you days, not just christmas', be bright.  

There's a feeling of contentment Now that you are here I feel satisfied I belong
inside Your velvet heaven" Depeche mode

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Of Christmas Past, Present, and Future

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary