navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Girl With the Misty Eyes (repost)
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic Girl With the Misty Eyes (repost) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2001-01-04 12:33 PM

She lay alone amid the tangle
the girl with the misty eyes
broken in body, a lifeless spirit
‘the passenger always dies’

Pulled along just for a ride
she sat in front next to Ned
six teens out for a little fun
now five of them lay dead

A soft drizzle begins to fall
flashing red lights draw near
reflections of life still remain
in that one crystal tear

Life, so fragile, ebbs away
no one can stop it’s flow
rain glistens in misty eyes
that held a young girl’s glow

© Copyright 2001 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
1 posted 2001-01-04 12:38 PM

This speaks in volumes so profound. I am now officially a sadder person.
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
2 posted 2001-01-04 12:39 PM

Wow......this one really evokes alot of emotion of what seems to be a terrible plague among us these days.  I am glad that you reposted it as I didn't see it the first go round.  Wonderful but all too sad piece.
Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2001-01-04 01:44 AM

PoetdeVine~
And each day, many misty eyes ...
so sad, too true.

Poignant piece.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

Beki
since 1999-09-15
Posts 1569
Newport Beach, CA, USA
4 posted 2001-01-04 04:39 AM

a few years ago there was a terrible accident involving 10 teens in a car near my home, only one died but 3 others were injured quite drastically and will never be the same. Except for the one that died they were all former students of mine and it ached so to hear of it. But what hurt worse was how the families tried to blame everyone else for the tragedy..the city because the sprinklers were on, making the road wet...the boy who was driving even though it was not his car and the owner had asked him to drive because he had not been drinking, the people whose home they had visited earlier...everyone except where the true blame lay..with them, and their children. These kids had piled 10 in a car that safely sat 7, holding each other on laps etc. They were speeding in a well known dangerously curved area late at night when sprinklers were known to be on...they lost control of the car. Yes, they had been drinking, had in fact been stopped earlier by a policeman who suspected as much but let them go.And their parents knew they were drinking, and let them go out in the car anyway. Parents who refuse to take responsibility for their children this way  and children who fight so hard to break the rules are the real tragedy..but they have only themselves to blame.It sickened me to see how the media played up one girl who was in a coma for some time, gathered sympathy because she missed homecoming and prom, showed how her friends rallied around her but completely missed the fact that she was drunk and was sitting unbelted on herboyfriend's lap..I am sorry but it was only HER fault she got hurt, she was not a hopeless tragic victim. No one ever talked about what really needed to be said.I have seen 6 of my students die from tragic accidents before eve rleaving high school.....this poem touched me more than I can say...
Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
5 posted 2001-01-04 05:11 AM

This particular poem is so powerful, my friend, that tears are rolling down my face. The deaths caused by drinking and driving are so unnecessary, and we never seem to learn. Speaking as another who has lost friends to this needless abuse......thank you for posting this.

Write on!
-<--<--{(@

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
6 posted 2001-01-04 05:50 AM

Wow! this is reality! So sad and harsh but so vivid and honest....just a terrible accident here locally took the lives of three teenage girls.....so sad but like you have writen here...life so fragile, ebbs away...no one can stop it's flow... thanks for the reminder !   take care   ethome
tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
7 posted 2001-01-04 06:48 AM

This is so sad PdV, we have had one of the worst holiday road tolls in years this summer and we have some very realistic and gruesome traffic accident commision ads on TV which reduce the accidents for a few years, I don't know what happened this year but it is such a tragedy...thanks for posting
Tracie~

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
8 posted 2001-01-04 07:30 AM

You've captured the incredible sadness within this devestation with an eerie beauty Sharon ... an excellent and thought provoking read!  

Best wishes,
/Kit

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
9 posted 2001-01-04 12:12 PM

This poem, and Beki's story, are powerful examples of one of the tragic truths of life. It only takes a second, literally, for an accident to happen and the only way to be prepared is to be careful in the first place. Whenever I talk to my best friend on the phone I tell him to take care and to wear his seat belt because I know he doesn't always and I worry especially when road conditions get bad. I'll get off the soapbox now and just say wonderful poem PdV.
wayoutwalt
Member Elite
since 1999-06-22
Posts 4870
TEXAS (it's all big)
10 posted 2001-01-04 12:16 PM

PDV U Awe Me
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 2001-01-05 12:08 PM

Every time we have a holiday, a prom or a special event, at least one teen dies in an accident. It's so sad...they have so much to live for...

Thank you all for your kind words..and thank you Beki for sharing that tragic story...

Jamie
Member Elite
since 2000-06-26
Posts 3168
Blue Heaven
12 posted 2001-01-05 01:23 AM

This is a scene I visit all to often. There are never adequate words to express the feelings. Never.

Jamie

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito. - Virgil.
"Yield thou not to adversity, but press on the more bravely".

Nate Dogg
since 1999-11-15
Posts 1658
Georgia, Fulton
13 posted 2001-01-06 02:22 PM

This is a well-written poem and I agree with all the sentiments above! This is an excellent piece!

Nathan

WhtDove
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-22
Posts 9245
Illinois
14 posted 2001-01-06 03:21 PM

<*\\\><

I know not what the future holds,
but I know Who holds the future.

I don't question YOUR existance - GOD

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Girl With the Misty Eyes (repost)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary