navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Deception
Open Poetry #11
Post A Reply Post New Topic Deception Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2000-12-08 05:44 AM

Deception

To weep, to sigh, to lift the weary eye
Upward from the depths of thought
Toward tomorrow’s pondering of why
Still unlearned the lessons taught

Cruel deceit, the enemy of trust
In all it’s dark unkind disguise
Made its way from wells of selfish lust
Into the harbors of my eyes

It made a life to pause, a heart to weep
Inducing all the grief it must
Forever shall my spirit lightly sleep
In shallow valleys of mistrust

And so I wonder why deception reigns
Fulfilling someone’s anxious want
When poorer are they for their fruitful gains
That flow from out the faithless font

One’s cruelty will not be my demise  
And all my wealth they cannot take
Such love surrounds and soothes these heavy eyes
And only love can fortune make

Elizabeth Santos

© Copyright 2000 Elizabeth Santos - All Rights Reserved
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

1 posted 2000-12-08 06:15 AM

This touched me deeply.  I have felt these emotions but never described them so eloquently, grief, cruelty from others, indifference, they are wounds. In poetry, I truly believe we know one another, for the words are so hard to deceive when they come from our pens, and our hearts, and so hard to disquise.  I tried once to write from someone else's expression, viewpoint, and I was almost frozen trying to feel another's emotions.  I wonder if all poets feel this way and simply write from their own hearts?

What is that you express in your eyes? It seems to me more than all the words I have read in my life.

Walt Whitman

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
2 posted 2000-12-08 06:21 AM

Thank you so much. This poem is timely indeed for me.
It made a life to pause, a heart to weep
Inducing all the grief it must
Forever shall my spirit lightly sleep
In shallow valleys of mistrust
Trust is such a gift and when coming from the heart of honesty it is priceless without measure. Much love to you from me.

Love I leave with you my friend whether it be in your life or of yet the essense of your dreams. http://path2riches.com

Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
3 posted 2000-12-08 06:57 AM

Elizabeth*
Your writings always lay upon my heart with
the delicate wings of angels...how I love to
fall into your weaves.  Excellent writing...
so glad to see you here...much love to you
dear poet~

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
4 posted 2000-12-08 07:00 AM

Love indeed "surrounds you" Liz ... this is exceptional writing.  Should you need a shoulder, you know how to reach me. Love to you my friend ...

Best wishes and hugs,
/Kit

Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
5 posted 2000-12-08 08:04 AM

heart moving words, glad to see you back here, wonderful expression from your heart.

(((warm hugs))
Charisma

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

6 posted 2000-12-08 08:55 AM

To weep, to sigh, to lift the weary eye
Upward from the depths of thought
Toward tomorrow’s pondering of why
Still unlearned the lessons taught
================
Such love surrounds and soothes these heavy eyes
And only love can fortune make
================
by the wisdom penned in that last verse ...
me thinks you have learned the "lessons taugh"
and as always...we learn them from you and your examples of grace and poetry.
love to you sweet poet
jm

I looked into the sky for my anthem
The words and music came through
But words and music can never touch the beauty that I've seen
Looking into you

liquidphantasy
since 2000-12-04
Posts 15
california
7 posted 2000-12-08 09:06 AM

Your writing is explosive with emotion, tender of heart, illustrative with vivid imagery, and perfect in structure, rhyme, & meter. Deceptiveness is one of the most cruel and jarring stabs of life. We all have been lied to, deceived, and it hurts deeply when it happens. How can we trust that it will not happen again? Simply, and unfortunately, we can't. As we grow, we realize that we can be selective in who we choose to relate to, who we select as friends or companions, making sure they know that we expect honesty and will not tolerate deceit. But, we also must be realistic and realize that people are not perfect. Forgiveness is vital, as well, because we will be lied to, we will be deceived, and without forgiveness, it is difficult to build trust.

Your poem brought all of these thoughts to my mind. It hit home with me since this is an issue I am currently struggling with in my life.

Thank you for posting this. You are a fine writer. This is publishable.

[This message has been edited by liquidphantasy (edited 12-08-2000).]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
8 posted 2000-12-08 11:14 AM

Liz--Trust is priceless and can be so easily taken away, but yes, forgiveness is what gives us trust again and again, so that we may learn empathy.  Very deep and powerful poem you have written...causes me to ponder things in my own life...thank you, dear friend...I'm so glad to see you posting again..Hugs!
LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
9 posted 2000-12-08 11:52 AM

Liz - You are such an incredible sage and poet.  You see things in such clarity, and record them with such unbelievable talent.  I don't believe I have ever read anything of yours that was anything other than perfection.  Yet, you are so prolific.  Loving your words is easy - you make it so.
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
10 posted 2000-12-08 12:25 PM

Not only does love surround you but you are the very essence of it's rare purity in form.  This has and will I am sure touch many hearts and cause many to reflect as you have not only penned of a matter that plagues us everyday, but you have given the path to seeing things so much clearly and we will all be the better for it.  So very nice to find one of yours today.

A life with love will have some thorns, but a life without love will have no roses.
author unknown

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
11 posted 2000-12-08 12:25 PM

Elizabeth, deception and mistrust are powerful enemys. After reading this writing, I don't believe they could be expressed any better than what you have done.

BC

Wilfred Yeats
Member Elite
since 2000-08-04
Posts 2704
Wilmington, Delaware
12 posted 2000-12-08 01:59 PM

I do not know who decieves - only that one such as you deserves no such deception deserves none at all - but what I do know with perfect certainty - Your writing is perfection and always speaks to me.
Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
13 posted 2000-12-08 02:05 PM

Elizabeth,
Your web of words have caught this fly and I am willing to die. Love Sy

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
14 posted 2000-12-08 03:07 PM

Liz, hopefully you are just flexing your beautiful poetic muscles here and not speaking of life.....you have gone through enough without having another disheartening experience.....beautiful writing
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
15 posted 2000-12-08 03:40 PM

Your responses are so overwhelming and interesting. I think everyone is deceived at times. I wish this poem weren't true, but I was so terribly violated and deceived the day after my husband's funeral, that I was so distraught I couldn't breath. I wrote a poem a lot stronger than this, but decided not to post it. My children have been so helpful through this ordeal. But I'm more interested that you liked the poem, and I'm smiling again, no matter what happens. I'll post a happy poem tomorrow
Thank you all for the wonderful responses
LIz

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

16 posted 2000-12-08 08:03 PM

Lizzy...I'm so sorry you had to suffer anything else, that's just terrible my friend.

Hey - you know where I am should you need me right?

It is wonderful to see you here again though, I must selfishly admit.  

Love you dear

K

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
17 posted 2000-12-08 11:08 PM

Liz-
   my heart goes out to you, my friend..
   sending you hugs and wishes for a
   brighter tomorrow...

hugs,
   ~vicky

"...until you have read the verse on his
heart, you have not truely met the poet."
-vlraynes

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
18 posted 2000-12-08 11:15 PM

quote:
Only love can fortune make...

Sorry that you were hit when you were already down   (tendency of life, I think), but you spoke of it so beautifully. I'll be looking for your happy poem tomorrow (but if you were to write a sad poem I'd look for that too. (((((hugs)))))

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

19 posted 2000-12-08 11:54 PM

I never truly saw the ugliness of greed and deception until my father passed away. It's a low blow that sends you reeling when you are most vulnerable and most in need of just the opposite. But the lessons learned were learned well...only love is the most valuable treasure that we have in this life. Thank God for my brother, sisters and the rest of my family. They are the jewels of my life. And thank God for the only true inheritence that no man can take away from us. I'm sorry that you had to suffer through this too. HUGS

Love ya
Denise

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
20 posted 2000-12-09 12:07 PM

Although I have not lost a husband, I lost a beloved father and mother...and afterwards the family splintered...and I believe some deception had a hand in it...

I hug you my Lady Santos...and you continue to be in my prayers...

Karilea
If I whisper, will you listen?...
I would rather be silent and write, than speak loudly and be bound.
KRJ

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
21 posted 2000-12-10 06:50 AM

Beautiful words Elizabeth! Beautiful philosophy of truth and honesty, something the world needs a lot more of. It's so good to be reading your lines of charming wisdom and I hope you write a jillion(Paula Finn's word) more!!
lucky
since 2000-01-17
Posts 1601
Idaho
22 posted 2000-12-15 08:12 AM

I don't if I should say... but I'm lost on this one... and I'm not asking you to explain... But my heart was looking for your soul... and I was left without explanation...

Sorry that's just me... dale

Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

23 posted 2000-12-15 09:29 AM

In re-reading this, and Elizabeth, you are always in my prayers, I wanted to encourage you that poetry is a healing balm, isn't it?
Even if we post or not, it heals to write....

"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day,
so I never have to live without you."

Winnie the Pooh

Cerenity
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 2637
Escondido-California
24 posted 2000-12-15 11:00 AM

Dear Liz,

For me when things have gone so wrong the deceit usually came from those I trusted the most which made the shock and the edacity of the whole thing not even believable and that much more to endure, The Liz I know through the poetry I have had the previlege of reading and through your replys, you are strong, fair to all, trully loving to the point of rarity, and most of all wise, you said in your poem,

When poorer are they for their fruitful gains
That flow from out the faithless font
Such love surrounds and soothes these heavy eyes And only love can fortune make

they can not take that which is already yours and untouchable your heart and everything that resides there. Thier undisguisable deceit will at some point be thier own demise this is pretty much guarenteed.  I send a hug and a prayer, and hope that you know we all love you for you, be well friend.

< !signature-->

"God doesn't have to be reminded that we exist.
We have to be reminded that He exist!"

(Writer Unknown)

[This message has been edited by Cerenity (edited 12-15-2000).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #11 » Deception

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary