navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » I Am Not A Pretty Girl
Open Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Am Not A Pretty Girl Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

0 posted 2000-06-04 05:06 PM

I am not a pretty girl - I am not a perfect size.
I am not all lacy and pink - or beautifully made up eyes.
I am not long painted nails - or perfectly done hair.
I am not always happy thoughts - and a smile I don't always wear.
I do not need your tanning bed - or your tooth whitening bleach.
I do not need your wardbrobe - or the diet tips you teach.
I do not need your hairspray - or your make up case.
I do not need your nail polish - or your smiling face.
I do not need your help - I do not need your rescue.
I do not need your pity - I don't need anything from you.
I have my own money - I have my own pride.
I do not own a lexus - it's a skateboard that I ride.
I have skinned knees - and scabs that gross you out.
I am not a pretty girl - that's not what I'm about.
I have tattoos - and a crooked smile on my face.
I am my own Queen - in my own place.
I eat when I'm hungry - and cry when I'm sad
does not wearing tiny clothes really make me that bad?
I have dirty sneakers and oversized shorts.
In high heels and halter tops I do not cavort.
Like I said before - I am my own Queen.
In your fake smile hunny - I will never be seen.
I am not a pretty girl - that is in YOUR eyes.
It is shallow people like you - that I so despise.

*I would just like all to know that I have nothing against people that wear make-up at all.  When I was out last night I had a very pretty, made up girl feel sorry??? for me because I wasn't all pretty and made up. Strange, yes I know...aggravating,..oh yeah. *Peace.

[This message has been edited by SpitFire (edited 06-04-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 SpitFire - All Rights Reserved
Tennessee Angel
since 2000-06-03
Posts 661
Tennessee
1 posted 2000-06-04 05:11 PM

Isn't it awful how people take one look at you and sum you up?  People miss out on so many things by judging others on appearances. Great Poem, SpitFire.  
Tennessee Angel
since 2000-06-03
Posts 661
Tennessee
2 posted 2000-06-04 05:11 PM

Isn't it awful how people take one look at you and sum you up?  People miss out on so many things by judging others on appearances. Great Poem, SpitFire.  

"That man has shown himself great who has never grieved in evil days and never bewailed his destiny." --Seneca

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
3 posted 2000-06-04 05:42 PM

It is shallow people like you - that I so despise.
I really love that last line.
I remember in secondary school being an individual. I did not have many friends, but at least I was always myself.

I have used this quote a few times before in responses to poems on similiar themes but I think this is a great quote.

"To be nobody-but-yourself-in a world which is doing its best night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." E.E Cummings.

Spitfire continue to be yourself, I mean why should a small section of society dictate who you are. A great poem, I think every teenager (not been sexist) especially girls should read your poem. IT has a very important message.thanks for sharing.  

------------------------
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"-Richey Edwards

"Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Kill nothing but time".

Baltimore Grotto

"Libraries gave us power
Then work came and made us free
What price now for a shallow piece of dignity"
Nicky Wire, A design for Life.

manic street preachers
"Rock 'n' roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair"

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

4 posted 2000-06-04 06:45 PM

~TA,..thank you for understanding and replying with your kindness. Take care.

~Brian,...thank you for your reply.  I love the quote...I think I'll print that one and tack it up where I can see it everyday...so thank you for that.  ...and for reading.

Jana Tovey
since 2000-05-30
Posts 257
USA
5 posted 2000-06-04 08:20 PM

I have nothing against make-up either, but when you consider how much time you waste applying that stuff to your face, well think what REAL improvements you could be participating in!  Another thing...when you stare at yourself for that long in a mirror (as you apply the stuff, I mean), no wonder you develop narcissist tendencies!

You sound like a champ to me.  Make-up-less faces unite!  

Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
6 posted 2000-06-04 08:42 PM

--SpitFire

I liked your poem
I like your style
Perhaps you and me should chat awhile lol

In all seriousness...excellent piece here
girl! i loved it!

take care,
amy  

"Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is before you can meet again. And meeting again after a moment or a lifetime is certain for those who are friends."

"Fate exists but it can only take you so far,
Because once you're there
It's up to you to make it happen."

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

7 posted 2000-06-04 10:42 PM

~Jana Tovey,...thank you for reading and responding...and your words of truth.  Oh and thank you for the champ...hehe. Put a smile on my face. .

~Aimster,...thanks for the reply...got a chuckle out of me.  We should indeed chat sometime. . Thank you for reading and your kind words.

Alwye
Member Elite
since 1999-06-16
Posts 3850
In the space between moments
8 posted 2000-06-04 10:49 PM

Trying to find people who look past the tanned bodies and made-up faces can be such a hard thing.  But when you find those people, it is incredible to know that not everyone is so shallow.  Awesome poem, I agree with you on every line!  

*Krista Knutson*

"Thought is real, physical is the illusion..." Albert from ~What Dreams May Come~

EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
9 posted 2000-06-04 11:02 PM

SpitFire......I love this, go get 'em. Sad that so many people fail to see the true beauty of people. Don't know that I despise them though, pity perhaps! as they are missing out on so much. Take care and keep smiling!  

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Unknown

REBECCA ALLYN
since 2000-05-09
Posts 91
Lima,Ohio
10 posted 2000-06-04 11:48 PM

Ok, this is so awesome!! I feel the same way!! More power to you
great work!!!

LOTS of LUV,
Becky

MagnoliaBlue
since 2000-05-12
Posts 367

11 posted 2000-06-05 12:16 PM

Hey SpitFire...

You sound like a true beauty to me!!!  

I agree with you.

Great writing!

MagnoliaBlue

tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
12 posted 2000-06-05 07:46 AM

Way to go hon...we are what we are and who we want to be, she is who she is and we are who we are and she has no right to judge you in any way.
I loved this poem sweety and if you don't mind I'd like to print it for my daughter who is everything you described about yourself, she's 11 and a real tomboy, she don't care for frilly fancy things just shorts, T shirt and the great outdoors.

Your beautiful heart and soul outshines everything always remember that  

Luv Tracie~

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

13 posted 2000-06-05 10:51 AM

~Alwye,...thank you for reading and replying.  It is so true that when you do find it is a good feeling.  Thanks for your kind words.

~Eagle One,...thank you sir for reading.  I'll get 'em don't you worry.  .  I thank you for your sincere response to this. Pity is perhaps a better word,...despise is pretty strong....but I think I felt this way for a bit after it happpened.  So,..out it came. 'Tis so true that people like this are missing out. Thank you again.

~Rebecca,...thank you girl for reading . And thank you for the strong response. Take care.

~Magnolia,...awww, thanks. . Made me smile. Thank you for taking the time.

~Tracie,...hey you...thank you for reading this and replying with all you did.  Yes,...please do show your daughter.  I do occasionally wear a dress??haha....but I love to be outside and get dirty...haha.  I don't care what people think of me  with a sweatshirt on..but this one girl felt sorry?? for me, which at first made me laugh...and then made me a bit angry that so many people exist like her...that only care about the outside appearance. Anyway,....I could go on forever.  Glad that you encourage your daughter to be herself no matter what.  Very cool .  

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
14 posted 2000-06-05 10:53 AM

SpitFire: I really enjoyed this one...I am not a very made up person either, except at work where I have to be "presentable" to the public eye. I despise it, though I have my own life to return to when I get off. I see fake people every day. It's kind of a challenge to me, though, to get to the real person hiding under the mask...well, it makes the day go by faster anyway.

~shadows dance by the light within~

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
15 posted 2000-06-05 10:56 AM

I hate it beyond words when people feel sorry for me because I'm me. I would MUCH rather be myself than one of those shiny happy people who are so fake and shallow. Hear hear, SpitFire!

Elizabeth

And this I say to you: why? Why? Just tell me why, so I can understand. Why?

Corinne
Member Ascendant
since 1999-10-28
Posts 5167
state of confusion
16 posted 2000-06-05 12:50 PM

You just be you, and you'll always be happy,
sounds like you've already got that figured out!

You may not be pretty, but you are beautiful!

Corinne

amazon_lover
since 2000-04-09
Posts 491
Dublin,Ireland
17 posted 2000-06-05 01:50 PM

Hi Spitfire
Whoever did it to you must be a very small person in mind and heart. Never worry about those. YOU're a queen as everybody are , a true embodiment of glowing spirit.

Sincerely
A_L

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
18 posted 2000-06-05 03:43 PM

Your soft heart and your beauty shine thru on this one...nice writing.   James
SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

19 posted 2000-06-05 07:53 PM

~Passing Shadows,...thank you for reading and replying.  A challenge?...yes,..I understand exactly what you are saying. Thanks again.

~Elizabeth,...thank you so much for the reply,...I so agree as you probably can tell .  Thanks for taking the time.

~Corinne,...thank you ever so much for your truly gracious reply.  Aww,...made me smile for sure.

~Amazon_Lover,...a true embodiment of glowing spirit....I like this.  Thank you, thank you.

~James,...thank you so much for your sweet reply.
Put a smile on my face .

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
20 posted 2000-06-05 08:07 PM

Spit Fire,

My dear sweet friend, this was superb!!!  You know true beauty comes from within.  All that make-up and nail polish come off.  You have to like yourself for what is inside, not on the outside.  I love this one, by the way.  Great work!!  

Lone Wolf

Friends are friend forever if the Lord's the Lord of them and a friend will not say never cause the welcome will not end.
--Michael W. Smith

Rosebud1229
since 2000-04-05
Posts 1813
North Carolina
21 posted 2000-06-05 09:19 PM

my sentiments go with everyone else who says that being yourself is the greatest asset you can be. What it all comes down to is that beauty will fade away. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally think that if you don't have a heart what good is beauty. What you are on the inside  is what counts. Thank you for such a inspiring poem.

insect
since 2000-04-22
Posts 1014

22 posted 2000-06-05 09:45 PM

Spit fire at them while your doing 360’s and 720’s
around them and I’ll be right behind ya girl!!!
I love skateboarding…been doing it for years…see
ya in the halfpipe!!

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

23 posted 2000-06-06 11:21 AM

~Aawww LW,..thank you friend for reading and replying. Thank you for the superb...not too sure about that but it was straight from my heart.  Eeekk...this whole topic bugs me. haha. Thank you for your kindness.

~Rosebud,...thank you for taking the time.  What you are on the inside IS what counts indeed.  Thank you for you reply.

~Insect,....hey you. That's a good plan...get the fire spitting into action 'eh?  haha.  So you sk8?....cool.  I'll rip it up next time...really show 'em huh?...Thanks for reading...your reply had me laughing.  .

*Peace.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
24 posted 2000-06-06 11:50 AM

Spitfire, very good.  But you see the real problem, don't you?  You didn't come made up, and still outshone the other one...and she had to show her true colors, just to make herself feel good...

bravo, m'dear!

Sunshine

~~~Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
Helen Keller ~~~

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
25 posted 2000-06-06 12:40 PM

Wow ... wonderful verse SpitFire! Stay beautiful ... you're perfect the way you are!

Best wishes and hugs,
/Kit

netswan
since 2000-03-28
Posts 1369
Washington
26 posted 2000-06-06 08:15 PM

I am so proud of you Spitfire - that's the
spirit. ---Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder ---beauty to me is inside and
always inside.  Grandma always said beauty
was in a bar of soap and a clean heart.

~netswan

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #7 » I Am Not A Pretty Girl

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary