navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » An apology to you all.
Open Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic An apology to you all. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Effigy
since 2000-04-11
Posts 486
disbelief

0 posted 2000-07-26 12:18 PM

I’m sorry I never wrote like you.
I never told stories of lost love,
or of love so true.

Guess I’m not your normal poet
I never wrote in such style.
Never was one of you, and I know it.

Never fit into much of a style at all,
Had no rhythm, no meter.
I suppose poetry was not my call.

So I’m sorry that I’ve wasted your time.
I never gave you a heartwarming piece.
My poetry was damn near a crime.

So go back to your world were
poetry is all sweet.
I’ll stay here and there
and never the two shall meet.

< !signature-->

Just an effigy to be disgraced,
to be defaced.
Your need for me has been replaced.

[This message has been edited by Effigy (edited 07-26-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 wes wiggins - All Rights Reserved
Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
1 posted 2000-07-26 12:40 PM

who says poems have to be all warm and fuzzy? there is a place for you here dont go

never say never

Meadowmuse
Member Elite
since 1999-12-27
Posts 3263

2 posted 2000-07-26 12:45 PM

Effigy, I rarely write "happy" pieces ... and doing so is definitely not a prerequisite to sharing your work here. Please do keep sharing. There is worth in ALL poetry, my friend, and in ALL people.

Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?......Henry David Thoreau

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2000-07-26 12:48 PM

Effigy, some of us don't have a style! And we'd get sick of sappy/sweet stuff too..that's why we have so many different forums...but you've let the cat out of the bag here- you do have rhyme and meter in this poem.. can't escape it! You're one of us!    
doreen peri
Member Elite
since 1999-05-25
Posts 3812
Virginia
4 posted 2000-07-26 12:49 PM

HUH?????

if i had to write stories of true love or lost love *ALL* the time, i'd be reticent to even THINK of myself as "poet".... AND if those were the only themes there were to read in the world of poety.... well, i think i'd slip away and go back to the world of dance, drawing, and watercolor.....

in other words,

HUH?

Poetry is a slice of life.
Poetry is a photograph of time.
Poetry is pain, pleasure, anguish, and intrigue.
Poetry is an exploration of all of life.

And you, m'friend, are a fine poet because you delve into all of what poetry is.

[This message has been edited by doreen peri (edited 07-26-2000).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2000-07-26 12:54 PM

Effigy---it's all true what they said---I'm a bit of a moody one myself...one day I write like a teenager in love and the next day I'm forty and considering a leap from a tall building...don't be discouraged...it's all good...yesterday I replied to a poem that was nothing but a dot...lol..I replied with a ? but I replied, durn it...love to you...now go forth and write...
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
6 posted 2000-07-26 12:59 PM

Dear Effigy,
Nobody ever taught me the rules of poetry
I think that's because there aren't any rules . Poetry doesn't have to rhyme or have meter. Most poetry written today is in free verse. The poets who supposedly are "the best" are not my favorites. Some of it's way over my head. But I liked what you wrote in your verse above because it spoke from your heart to mine. And so it wasn't a waste of time. I hope you keep writing your thoughts. It doesn't matter the style. It's all worth while
Liz

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
7 posted 2000-07-26 01:01 PM

Well this is a warming piece, its got rhyme, style. Got my attention. you are a poet, thats sure. I shall read your other stuff.

I think that its to easy to get lost in the flood of so many poet here, I'd love to read and reply to all. Not enough time. I know not an excuse, but glad you point yourself out. Well find you eventually you can bet on it.

Parker

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
8 posted 2000-07-26 01:06 PM

I haven't been around much lately... so this is the first of your poems I've read... but if you keep writing, it won't be the last! *S* Hang in there!
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
9 posted 2000-07-26 01:08 PM

I'm with the rest of them.  Not to gang up on you or anything, but if we have to dogpile you to hold you down then we will.  If I have learned anything about poetry in my VERY short life as one then it is that there is no style,rhyme,nor even a reason in which you must have to indulge.  I myself turn to nature in almost all of my works because that if my safe haven.  Do not go for if you do then we all lose on this day and I for one do not like to lose what I hold so valuble.  Drop on in and I will greet you always with a smile and open arms.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
10 posted 2000-07-26 01:09 PM

OH no!!

Serenity... does that mean when we're forty we have to leap from tall buildings????  are we supermen/women?  or suicidal???  lol

FG....what they said.... HUH???

RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
11 posted 2000-07-26 02:21 PM

Hey sweetheart, we ALL write from the heart and that's what you've done..

Big HUGS

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost;
that is where they should be.
Now put the foundations under them."

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2000-07-26 02:28 PM

and somedays I am a suicidal superwoman...I TOLD YA I WAS MOODY....
Effigy
since 2000-04-11
Posts 486
disbelief
13 posted 2000-07-26 03:30 PM

No no no. You can't talk me out of it. I'm Leaving! Well maybe not right now, later maybe. I'm just kidding. This poem was not a threat to leave. This was just a poem like any other. Fantasy, not reality. I must say though I'm glad to see the out pouring of support here. And to think that I thought I went un-noticed.   I most deffinatly don't write like every one else, but I make no apologies for it, for this style (or lack there of) is my art. It's my emotion, and I write for myself. Thanks for your support.

Sincerly,
Wes

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
14 posted 2000-07-26 03:34 PM

I think it would great if you wrote another poem just like this one only with a different subject......because there is nothing wrong with this one?
killer222
since 2000-04-06
Posts 48
Northolt,Middlesex,England
15 posted 2000-07-27 05:10 AM

Everyone has a different style, I feel out of place here sometimes because the quality is so good.

A poem that may mean nothing to one could mean the world to another.

This is a good poem to let someone who feels there work is not good enough to realise every poem written means something.

"shun the frumious Bandersnatch!"
Killer222 :)

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
16 posted 2004-05-23 09:13 PM

hope you aren't still thinking this way
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » An apology to you all.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary