navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » The Caregiver
Open Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Caregiver Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2000-07-20 08:49 PM

The Caregiver

Her love for her dear father is reflected in her eyes
Her face shows pure devotion that she cannot disguise
Please know that there’s a lovely girl who speaks your name with pride
And know that someone dear to you is sitting by your side

Just think of all the happiness you’ve given through the years
Imagine all the hearts you’ve soothed while brushing back their tears
You’ve given life, you’ve given love, that in their hearts abide
And one who’s heart is full of love is sitting by your side

I can’t imagine any daughter lovelier than yours
Nurtured out of love, and hope and toil of daily chores  
The fruits of all the labored hours in radiance reside
And there’s a lovely velvet rose, who’s sitting by your side

Your traits are seen within her face, your courage in her eyes
And in the loving deeds she does, your faith is fortified  
She sings the songs you’ve always sung, their source can’t be denied
And part of your great heritage is sitting by your side

The road you walk in labored steps your destiny to meet
Is but a footpath God has place before your weary feet
With every step he always sends an angel as your guide
Just raise your eyes and you will see this angel by your side

An angel named Christina, the truth of life has learned
And now returns the love, respect, and honor you have earned
For all the principles you taught, so lovingly applied
Are witnessed in this gentle child who’s sitting by your side

Elizabeth Santos

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Santos (edited 07-20-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 Elizabeth Santos - All Rights Reserved
RainbowGirl
Member Elite
since 1999-07-31
Posts 3023
United Kingdom
1 posted 2000-07-20 09:05 PM

You're getting too good Liz, way too good...if only all hearts saw things the way you do, life would be a river of crescending torrents, up and down mountains, over all terrain, love would overcome all obstacles to become  - love as defined within your poem.

You bring me to tears so often and leave me wanting...hoping that one day, I will share in the imagination, the reality of your words.

Because you took me back I'll share a little with you...my dad died when he was 57 and from the time I was a teenager I don't think he liked me very much, I was rebellious, you guessed..*g* but a few months before he died he somehow found or saw my wavelength and finally told me he respected me, even admired me for being who I was and for who I would become...sadly he died suddenly a few months later but as I read this, that lump caught in my throat and I wished I could hear his voice, to know he would tell me off but somehow make listening turn into solutions and then everything would be ok, once more..

You little treasure

HUSG

[This message has been edited by RainbowGirl (edited 07-20-2000).]

ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
2 posted 2000-07-20 09:09 PM

Elizabeth it is just wonderful to read this composition The Caregiver.
Your reflection on the unshakable love existing between father and daughter all blanketed in the not to be questioned morals of care and responsibility is outstanding.

Only through these morally strong types of characters, depicted so well in this work, do I see the decency needed to make the world a better place.

Very very well done as usual.

Take care.........ethome.....

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2000-07-20 09:15 PM

Oh Elizabeth!!!!  This was absolutely beautiful!  I've not read a more perfect tribute to a father & daughter's love.

Such sweet and tender thoughts you've shared. My soul is enriched from reading these treasured words.

Best wishes and hugs (twinning today?   ),
/Kit

linda munday
since 2000-06-17
Posts 315
Adelaide, Australia
4 posted 2000-07-20 09:21 PM

Elizabeth,
You are definitely one of the best.  Outstanding, in idea, in flow, in emotion.
And the rest.
I loved it, I bet there are butterfly kisses to his forehead too.

(reluctant note) -
"Is but a footpath God has place before your weary feet"
Did you accidentally leave the letter 'd' off the word 'place'?

BSC
Member Elite
since 2000-02-04
Posts 2919
New York, USA
5 posted 2000-07-20 09:36 PM

Oh Liz, What started out as just a misting, has now turned to a full fledged stream of tears.  This is just a beautiful, loving, gentle piece, and brought back many memories of me and my Dad.  Your talents are so awesome and inspiring, your words so very touching in all you write.  Thanks for sharing this.  Bonnie
Gemini
since 1999-12-15
Posts 1203
Wisconsin, USA
6 posted 2000-07-20 09:48 PM

Elizabeth-Very powerful and endearing words, very well written.  I also lost my father when I was 18 and he 59.  While he was in a coma, his heart was on a monitor and I could watch it beat faster when he heard my voice.  I was to proud to say I loved him, though he probably knew I did, I still regret that I never had a chance to tell him before he died.
Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
7 posted 2000-07-20 10:04 PM

Rainbow, Thank you for sharing another little part of your life. Your father definitly nkew who you were. Sometimes in times of trouble, all the love and sentiment come pouring out. Thanks, Cindy

Ethome, You are right, the love is unshakable and even with two babies and two jobs, she still comes and sits by his side with the children. Thank you
Liz

To my twin, Kit, Thank you for your beautiful remarks
liz

Thank you Linda and for pointing out the typo
Liz

Bonnie, Your comments are lovely. I'm so glad you liked this as it is a daily scene in my house. Thank you
Liz

Gemini, Words so simple and yet so difficult to say, can haunt you for the rest of your life. I've known that happen to many people. But at least you were there beside him and he knew you loved him. No words necessary. He knew it
Thank you
Liz

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
8 posted 2000-07-20 10:20 PM

Elisabeth,
My God give you health and peace. To me you are the best. Love Sy

MMoonchild
since 2000-07-13
Posts 1715
PA
9 posted 2000-07-20 11:52 PM

Your  words brought a  large sigh...very beautiful...and all the  responses were touching as well... many have lost a loved one...and those who have had a chance to share the last  moments with them  were truly blessed even though it was hard to see their life force leaving..I only wish I had had that chance..and it  is those sadnesses of not being there that  led me to  my poetry...and for that  my Dad is above watching and smiling and I know he knows of my feelings and is trying to guide me to the right paths toward happiness once again...
Maureen

L Tiuch
since 2000-02-04
Posts 151
NY
10 posted 2000-07-21 10:34 AM

This surely touched my heart in ways I couldn't imagine.  Fortunately I still have my parents (80 and 85), and I only hope that when the sad day comes they will know how much I loved them.  This is a beautiful tribute to both father and daughter.  
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
11 posted 2000-07-21 10:53 AM

Liz--this is a wonderful poem, full of the beauty that you see in life and the spirit that is you...What a lovely picture of Christina and her love....and yours.  You have made me want to repost a poem I wrote about my father...I think I will!
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

12 posted 2000-07-21 08:21 PM

This is one of the most touching poems that I have ever read, Elizabeth. Big time tears here. HUGS to you all.

Denise

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
13 posted 2000-07-21 08:26 PM

Liz,

What a wonferful portrait of love and devotion you have painted for us with your fine pen.  This one brings tears to my eyes it is so heartfelt.  I feel the same about my father, who is still alive.  Would do anything for him.  Just perfect writing!!  Thank you for sharing it.

Lone Wolf

Poetry should surprise by fine excess...it should strike the reader as a wording of his own highest thoughts and appear almost a remembrance. -J.Keats

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
14 posted 2000-07-21 08:29 PM

Liz one word AMAZING. at the moment I am too dazzled to say anything else

why must we pray
screaming? why must not death be redefined? we shut our eyes we stretch out our arms and whirl on a pane of glass-patti smith

Elizabeth Santos
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-11-08
Posts 9269
Pennsylvania
15 posted 2000-07-22 08:41 AM

Sy,
Your comments are always inspiring

Maureen.
Everything you said is true. Your father is with you now and surely you feel his love. And you are still guided by all the principles that are engraved in your heart, which is your heritage from him. Thank you for your response

Tiuce,
I appreciate your very lovely comments
Martie. Thanks and I'm so glad you posted your wonderful poem.

Denise.
Thanks, dear, you have always been so caring
Love ya

Lone Wolf,
Thank you for your interesting comments and for sharing a bit of your emotions

Brian,
No need to say a word. Just that you read and enjoyed is all I need to know
Thank you

Liz

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
16 posted 2000-07-22 08:45 AM

Ah, heritage. Caught excellently herein, all the virtues of the parent to the child...all the very best, side by side.

You have given us the opportunity to applaud life's blood at its very best and when it matters most.

Sunny

~~~Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow.
Helen Keller ~~~

When you want to be loved, look within...KRJ

Michael Auguste
since 2000-07-19
Posts 12
USA
17 posted 2000-07-22 02:44 PM

Elizabeth,

This is simply wonderful.  Truly beautiful.  Thank you for sharing it.

Michael Auguste

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » The Caregiver

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary