navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » I Understand Now
Open Poetry #8
Post A Reply Post New Topic I Understand Now Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia

0 posted 2000-07-16 10:12 AM

~I wrote this poem about my mother just today..To cut a long long story short she committed suicide when I was 8 years old..I remember waiting home for her and the feelings of whenever the phone rang or there was a knock at the door...I know she is no longer with me in body but she certainly is in spirit..I hope you like this poem..It was very hard to write~

Standing in the sun,
Its shining bright,
Feeling fear,
Somethings not right.
Daddy tells me it wont
be long,
But I know in my heart
Somethings terribly wrong.
We all walk inside
and not say a word,
Even the sounds outside
now arent being heard.
I know daddy wants to cry,
but he cant,
Because we will ask why.
Then out of the blue,
A knock at the door,
It was then I knew,
And the feeling hit home more.
The police say mummy
cant be found,
And out of my mouth,
i cant make a sound.
They say they are going to
look high and low,
But I already knew what
they didnt know.
I wanted to scream and shout,
And in the end,
All I did was cry and pout.
Later that week,
The police came again,
My life became bleak,
And I knew then.
Mummy was gone forever,
her body found,
We were no longer together,
We were no longer bound.
But even today,
I love her so,
I knew she couldnt stay,
She had to go.

© Copyright 2000 Cherie - All Rights Reserved
ethome
Member Patricius
since 2000-05-14
Posts 11858
New Brunswick Canada
1 posted 2000-07-16 10:25 AM

Very very sad. I can't even imagine the heartache and pain involved to one so young and impressionable. Thanks for being so brave and sharing these deep feelings. I feel it is so important to get them out. Take care.....
your poet friend...ethome.

Kyle aka Huck
since 2000-07-16
Posts 63
Linn, MO USA
2 posted 2000-07-16 10:38 AM

wow thats so sad, my parents are divorcing and my best friend died a couple weeks ago so i can relate to the death and pain it brings  this is a remarkable poem i like it its very well played out, im so sorry about your mother
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
3 posted 2000-07-16 10:55 AM

~ethome...no need to thank me for sharing..thats what friends do....share thoughts, bad or good. Im just glad I get to share it with such talented people sucj as your self...Thankyou very much for the reply~

~Kyle aka huck.....I am so sorry to hear of your loss..My heart goes out to you..Remember what seems a very sad and difficult time can help us learn and appreciate things more...I hope today brings you a smile (or at least a grin..)Please take care~

Thanks again to the both of you for your beautiful replies..You dont know how much it means to me

Jacques Lee
since 2000-07-16
Posts 9

4 posted 2000-07-16 12:51 PM

Beth,

I personally can't fathom what you may have felt.  However, you placed me there with you in the manner inwhich you expressed your feelings of such a great loss.  Your courage to speak out was very well done.  Great job!

Sunnyone
Member Ascendant
since 2000-07-06
Posts 5334
Staffordshire, England
5 posted 2000-07-16 04:23 PM

Beth, my friend,

I won't say I know what you feel, as
one has to live through this to truly know.
But I do know that by sharing this with your
friends here, the burden of grief will be
lessened.
      My heart goes out to you, and my
admiration, also, for the beautiful way
you put your feelings into words.......

Live for today and enjoy the moment.....

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
6 posted 2000-07-17 12:12 PM

~Jacques lee....Courage to write this wasnt easy to come by..until now I havent been able to write well about my loss and have understanding but now i have full understanding and I am only happy that i get to share it with such wise people..thanks for your reply~

~Sunny1....A friend you are indeed...I am always elated to read your replies as they always bring me a smile no matter whether they have been sad or happy...thankyou so very much~

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited 07-17-2000).]

Impassionata
since 2000-07-13
Posts 26
Alberta,Canada
7 posted 2000-07-17 12:23 PM

Beth....what courage you have to be able to express this sad time in your life....although I have never experienced this type of loss I can relate to your pain through different losses I have had....Thank you for sharing.

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
8 posted 2000-07-17 12:58 PM

~Impassionata....thankyou for reading....I am so glad that you like this poem..It means alot to me and I hold it very dear..~

Blessed Be,
Beth

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
9 posted 2000-07-17 01:40 AM

Beth~
Glad you felt you could share with friends here.
This could not have been easy for you to write ... you did a remarkable job of it.

Just want to give you a *HUG*.
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
noles1@totcon.com

tracie66
Member Elite
since 2000-01-18
Posts 4713
Australia
10 posted 2000-07-17 02:08 AM

Beth~
What courage you have hon to write about this and share it...couldn't have been easy for you *HUG* poetry is always good for the soul and I think to be able to express your thoughts and feelings in such a way is a blessing.
Love to you
Tracie~

Love is the life of the soul...
It is the harmony of the universe

Asma M. Ahmad
since 2000-07-11
Posts 19

11 posted 2000-07-17 02:17 AM

Beth...I don't know what to say....
I feel for you.I won't say I know how you feel because i know that's not possible.
But my prayers are with you.
I hope writing this poem,as difficult as it may have been,helped release your pain.

Best wishes
Asmoon
"..Infinite passion and the pain of finite hearts that yearn."
Robert Browning

Asma M. Ahmad
since 2000-07-11
Posts 19

12 posted 2000-07-17 02:17 AM

Beth...I don't know what to say....
I feel for you.I won't say I know how you feel because i know that's not possible.
But my prayers are with you.
I hope writing this poem,as difficult as it may have been,helped release your pain.

Best wishes
Asmoon
"..Infinite passion and the pain of finite hearts that yearn."
Robert Browning

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
13 posted 2000-07-17 02:21 AM

Beth- a real big hug for you dear.  I know that this must have been hard for you to write and you did it with deep emotion.  I thank you for your courage to lay this at the feet of your friends here and it was penned wonderfully.  
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
14 posted 2000-07-17 03:35 AM

~Ah, you guys are so great...You have helped me so much..I now feel at complete ease in posting my poetry in..~

~Marge..Your reply means alot to me..Im glad I could share this with you~

~Tracie...Poetry is the best medicine..I feel so much better about my mothers death after writting this poem...It has lifted the weight that seemed to hold me back ~

~Asma M Ahmad...Salam...I thank you for your kind words..Yes this has released the pain ~

~Mark..Your replies are always a blessing..Im happy that you enjoyed this and replied to it too...Thanks alot~

poutprincess
since 2000-07-06
Posts 735
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
15 posted 2000-07-17 05:28 AM

you are a fabulous human being, Beth. And i know all your family and how much love you have for them. I know your mother loved you very much..and you did a beautiful thing by telling her and the world how much you love her too. you cant have love without courage nor courage without love....and i think you have made it clear to all of us that your heart is full of both!
Blessed Be Ree

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
16 posted 2000-07-17 07:31 AM

~Pout....Your friendship has always been a true blessing..I treasure each moment that we have together..You truly are my soul mate...I hope that never changes...You always hold a place with me no matter what happens in the future..Thankyou being so truthfull and honest with me...~

Blessed Be,
Beth

poutprincess
since 2000-07-06
Posts 735
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
17 posted 2000-07-17 12:37 PM

Beth...just wanted to let you know that i emailed this poem to michelle and she wanted me to tell you how much it moved her. She said it was beautiful and that it has offered her more insight into who you are as a person....
      from Michelle  C/O poutprincess

UFgirl05
since 2000-07-17
Posts 10
Winter Haven, FL, USA
18 posted 2000-07-17 09:15 PM

that was very touching i'm sorry about your mother. your poem flowed wonderfully
Butterflies_dont_cry
Member Elite
since 2000-03-06
Posts 3733
Michigan
19 posted 2000-07-17 09:27 PM

This piece touches my heart Beth...such saddness for a small child to live through, yes I'm sure you mother is with you now in every step that you take...**Angel Wing Hugs**
Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
20 posted 2000-07-17 11:22 PM

~Pout..please tell Michelle that I appreciate the reply ...and I hope now she can understand now why i am so bitter at times..Im sure she has had to deal with a pain in her life and I only hope now she and I can having more understanding off each other..thanks pout~

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
21 posted 2000-07-18 01:23 AM

~Thankyou for the sweet replies...Im glad you both liked it~

Blessed Be,
Beth

MMoonchild
since 2000-07-13
Posts 1715
PA
22 posted 2000-07-18 01:47 AM

you touched my heart with this one Beth, being new here and having only responded to a few so far, these words of yours make it hard to say what one feels...for a child to lose  a parent at  such a young age and in such a way...you have survived and your words show the love that your mother  instilled and shared with you during her time here on earth..she is watching over you and smiling at the spirit you have shown in your life.
~~soft hugs
Maureen

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
23 posted 2000-07-18 03:38 AM

~Maureen, Thankyou so much for your reply..I am so happy that everyone has liked this poem..I hope you are enjoying Passions...Its the best on the web..~

Blessed Be,
beth

notlikely2
since 2000-06-16
Posts 308
UK
24 posted 2000-07-18 03:48 AM

Beth
this must have been so hard to write.
I hope that doing so and sharing your feelings has helped a little.
I can't say any more.
John

Beth
since 2000-07-06
Posts 468
WA, Australia
25 posted 2000-07-18 07:48 AM

~Thanks alot for your reply John...Beleive it or not writting this poem has helped me more than what 14 years of pain has...I now can move on and let go of the pain and just have the memories..Thanks again for your reply~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #8 » I Understand Now

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary